Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I get 25-27 doing between 75-90mph every time I go from SC to NY.

Maybe Nick drives like an old lady and gets his up to 30mpg. It's possible I guess.

That or Nick has the super secret 02 sensor mod that tricks the ECU into leaning out the mixture.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:04 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

I do. It's a fairly heavy car, with an engine that runs rich, with a slushbox, AND its AWD. I don't care if the Pope declares his SVX gets 30mpg, I won't believe it until I see it. The drivetrain and weight of the car are against this claim, as are subaru's original specs.

- Rob
Grr...

<<My SVX gets EXACTLY the mileage that SUBARU ADVERTISED. Around 17ish in town, and 25ish on the highway. IF the SVX was capable of even 27mpg, I'm POSITIVE subaru would have advertised it as 27mpg on the highway. It makes NO sense for them to advertise subpar mileage when their car is capable of more.>>

K well i'll do my own B.S. detecting. 25 MPG was the EPA claim. Hello!? YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY FOR BETTER OR WORSE!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

It would make less sese for them to advertise a higher number and run the risk of customer complaints when not getting the EPA quoted figures. These figures are averages, not maximum values.

Again, you don't believe it fine. Can it happen, yes.

Todd
Old 02-02-2004, 11:49 PM

Ok, ignore me...I can take it.....sort of.......maybe....

I mean, a guy that claims 0.80 to 0.87L/10km EVERY trip to work or home.....

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-03-2004, 12:55 AM

I would say that the milage depends equally on the DRIVER and the car.

But then, what would I know, I have only owned 35 cars and 17 snowmobiles and 12 motorcycles and a bunch of other gas-driven things.

Oh, I forgot, and has been driving cars in 29 years, and averaging 30000km/year the last 14 years.

...and...

been racing,rallying,dragracing and built high tuned NA and turbo engines for ALL sort of vehicles........

...and...

...now currently (as it seems) the only person who has read 275 (267 GPS) km/h on a STANDARD SVX, let it be slipstreaming or mażbe "slippushing" in front of a Porsche 911 ....

...but then again....

I'm probably full of ****....!!

/Sonny

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
Sonar,

This is totally out of the subject, but i could not help to look through your locker for the SVX that went 276 km/h, and noticed a switch on the left of your gear shifter. What exaclty is this?

Also, you have an econd mode in your SVX? I want one of those. And what exacltly does it do, and does it imporve your milage?
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 02-03-2004, 01:16 AM
nextcubepro

i drove a friends 2001 pontiac grand prix GT with the 3.8 V6, and that car weighs 3450 lbs. Got 32.5 MPG on the highway. Car gets 14 in the city, though. So, it is indeed possible.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:20 AM

The switch is a "turn-knob" with 4 positions that realign the low beam accordingly to the load in the car.

Suppose I have 2 very heavy persons in the backseat and the trunk full of heavy things, the low beam is aiming to the sky (or as I put it, in squirrel-search-mode ) , then by just turning this knob, I could lower the beams.

The reason why I clarify in this way, is that my english is not so good, so I don't know if anyone understand what I'm saying....

The "Econ" switch just cancels out the "Power" scheme (when that "power" light comes on) , but in my opinion, the "Manual" button does a better job to save gas.

/Sonny

Old 02-03-2004, 02:14 AM

As I see it, the weight has very little to do with the milage (on highway).

The only time the weight HAS to do with anything related to fuel consumption is when you accelerate, or when you measure a "one way" uphill (or downhill).

That's why a heavy car with a big engine consumes soooooo much fuel in "town" driving (what is the correct term for this?).

But if you measure a roundtrip, the fuel that was consumed uphills is gained back the other way, downhills.

This is of course not true if you drive differently on the "return", only if you drive in the same speed and in the same way.

The only thing that I can think of, is maybe that the wheels have more rolling resistance on a heavier car, despite higher airpressure (due to more deformation of the rubber itself, and maybe a wider tyre to cope with the weight).
And maybe that heavier cars are often bigger, and have a larger front- area.

The rolling resistance and the CX or CW or whatever you call the "air-resistance-factor" times the front area of the car is what makes the diff.

BTW. the rolling resistance can come from the tires or/and the tranny (bearings an so on).

/Sonny

Old 02-03-2004, 05:57 AM

If my (or any unremarkable, stock SVX) can muster better than 25 MPG at sustained speeds in the realm of 80 MPH, it's thoroughly reasonable to conclude that 30 MPG could be attained over gentle terrain at, say, 65 MPH, cruise set, with no passengers, an extra pound or three in the tires, fresh fluids, good wheel bearings, properly-functioning torque converter, and mild, fair weather. (Bit of a tailwind wouldn't hurt.) The problem with putting this conclusion to the test is that my car is so much happier at 80.

dcb
Old 02-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
<shrug>

Whether or not Rob believes me doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I've said over and over again that I saw that 31.4mpg only once. It's therefore possible that my records or my math were wrong. I suspected that immediately when I came up with that figure, so I checked and rechecked it many times. I looked at my gas receipts to make sure that I had, in fact, burned the fuel I thought I had. I looked back at the mileage log I was keeping for the trip.

I can provide no other proof. I doubt that my records or my math were wrong. I would definitely agree with Rob that this mileage was not normal - it was indeed anomalous.

Could I reproduce it? That's difficult to say. I don't drive the car that much differently than I used to (conservatively), but I might find it difficult to find such a flat stretch of freeway with no traffic that forces me to slow down and speed up often.

I'm also unwilling to put that many miles on my car.

Rob, I don't blame you for being skeptical. I'd call that healthy. I think what this comes down to is whether or not you trust my honesty and ability to do basic math. If you don't, then you can leave it at that and learn nothing. If you do, then maybe we can examine why some people get better mileage than you instead of just calling all of us liars.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 02-03-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:15 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I get 25-27 doing between 75-90mph every time I go from SC to NY.

Maybe Nick drives like an old lady and gets his up to 30mpg. It's possible I guess.

That or Nick has the super secret 02 sensor mod that tricks the ECU into leaning out the mixture.
As I've said, that 30+mpg was not normal. Previously the best I had seen from my car was 28ish.

I think my car has just been maintained very well, it always gets premium fuel and it's driven conservatively...

...most of the time.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 AM

A year ago I was able to travel about 400 miles without having to fill er up, this was after I had some work done on the car. Now I can get about 200 miles. If only I knew what it was that fixed the gas milage...
Old 02-03-2004, 12:05 PM

How about this:

When I'm heading for home at Friday, I document the whole trip with my camera (no, not EVERY second ) , let's say:

1. When I visit the gasstation, here in "EagleShieldsBay" (directly translated name of the city where I work)
Pictures of filled amount of fuel, the trip meter, and the time.
2. If I stop to have lunch, photos of the time.
3. When I'm home (approx. 380-400km, depends on wich route) , again the tripmeter, filled gas amount, and the time.

Maybe a close picture of the res...rec....darn, that little paper that you get when you buy something! for mr. Chicane ...

/Sonny

Old 02-03-2004, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
Maybe a close picture of the res...rec....darn, that little paper that you get when you buy something! for mr. Chicane ...
It's called a receipt.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE