How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 10:27 PM
StaceyVX

Question Oil change/other fluid change questions.

So, I have had my car since last April and since then I've had one oil change (one was done right before I got it). It's time for another one, but someone told me that I should change the trans. fluid as well. Is this true? And how much does that cost? Anything else I should have changed along with those? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:39 PM
nextcubepro

When was it last changed? If you have no idea, have a simple drain and fill performed at PepBoys or $40 w/tax. Do it every 10k miles. Ask them to check your differential fluids as well, another cheap fluid change.

P.S. - You need to change your oil at least every 3,000 miles or 3 months, synthetic or not. Period. If you don't, your engine will slowly wear down. And when it does, it's a $6,000 rebuild. Ouch.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 PM
StaceyVX

Yea, it was last changed in October. My boyfriend works at Pep Boys...So an oil and trans fluid change there is $40? And should I have them just check the differential fluids or just flat out change them?

I know to change the oil every 3k or 3 months, it's the trans. thing I don't know about. Thanks, though.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:06 PM
nextcubepro

hmm...
Old 01-16-2004, 11:15 PM
StaceyVX

Old 01-16-2004, 11:19 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX
lol sorry...I got a lil confused there...

So since I still am (slightly), here's what I do: oil change every 3k miles, tranny fluid change every 3 oil changes (9k miles). If you weren't sure of the last interval, change it anyways...no harm done in keeping clean fluids running through your baby
Old 01-16-2004, 11:27 PM
StaceyVX

Thanks and sorry for any confusion...I don't know the last time the other fluids were changed...Just the oil. So now I can track it. Do it this month and then 3 oil changes from now. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:50 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX
Thanks and sorry for any confusion...I don't know the last time the other fluids were changed...Just the oil. So now I can track it. Do it this month and then 3 oil changes from now. Thanks.
There ya go...good luck with your SVX!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Hater

the 3000 mile/3 month oil change interval is debateable, and i think its a bit of overkill. i use synthetic and change every 5000 miles, which is still conservative. new Porsches (and other manufacturers) have a factory specified interval of 15,000 miles, but i'd be a little nervous waiting that long.

i forget how i changed the front diff (had a glasses of hootch last night), but on the rear, make sure to remove the upper 'fill' plug first - if you remove the drain plug and then the fill plug is not able to be removed you'll be screwed....... fill with gear oil up to the fill hole and that's it. i used Mobil1 synthetic gear oil.

for the tranny, drain it (note how much fluid comes out), and fill with same amount. not all will come out - maybe 5-6 quarts. repeat this whenever you change the engine oil until you feel satisfied that there is mostly new tranny fluid in there.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-17-2004, 03:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
the 3000 mile/3 month oil change interval is debateable, and i think its a bit of overkill. i use synthetic and change every 5000 miles, which is still conservative. new Porsches (and other manufacturers) have a factory specified interval of 15,000 miles, but i'd be a little nervous waiting that long.

i forget how i changed the front diff (had a glasses of hootch last night), but on the rear, make sure to remove the upper 'fill' plug first - if you remove the drain plug and then the fill plug is not able to be removed you'll be screwed....... fill with gear oil up to the fill hole and that's it. i used Mobil1 synthetic gear oil.

for the tranny, drain it (note how much fluid comes out), and fill with same amount. not all will come out - maybe 5-6 quarts. repeat this whenever you change the engine oil until you feel satisfied that there is mostly new tranny fluid in there.
I do 5000 as well with synthetic. One thing I noticed how ever was in my SVX manual it called for 7500 miles and I assume it ment with normal oil. Whats that all about? Manual says 7500, dealer says 3750 with normal oil and 5000 with synthetic.

Oh and the manual also says change the tranny fluid every 15k under extreme conditions (lots of stop and go traffic) which is what I'm going to go by.

Last edited by Wiz; 01-17-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:09 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:

Uncle's 01 Audi A6 4.2 says change oil every 10k miles. He has 60k miles on it. He has always had it changed at the dealer. He drives very conservatively. His engine is already leaking oil.

In a recent review of some 911, the mag said that even tho porsche said the interval was every 15k miles, at 9k the oil looked toasted.

Just do it every 3k miles. What can it hurt?

P.S. - Father told me that someone told him switching from normal to syntec oil unless your car is new can be bad for your engine. Anyone have any info or experiences with this?
Old 01-17-2004, 08:36 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Its good to hear you have a BF who works at Pep Boys.
Keep him around
Engine Oil:
Like many have said, 5000, 3000. A good rule is 5000 for Syn, and 3000 for normal. Don't put in the $1.35 per quart stuff, use the good stuff, or better yet start using a good synthetic.
Transmission Fluid:
Like they have said, drain from the pan, 5-6 qts is about right. check it before you drain it, check it after you refill it. needs to be checked the way the manual tels you, there are options, check it the same way both times.
Center Diff:
This is part of the trany, and has a different location and dipstick, check the fluid on the dipstick, if its dirty, change it all according to the manual.
Rear Diff:
As directed above, follow the proceedure and change it at the same time you do the cebter diff. How often? How about every 15-30k.
Power Steering Fluid:
This should be changed once in a while, but if its not leaking, and its still red, then best not touch it.
Brake Fluid:
Should be change once every 2 years or every full brake job(front and rear pads) If you go thru 2 fronts to 1 rear, change every time you do rears, or 2 years.
Antifreeze Coolant:
Do it same as above, every 2 years.

Above are all general guidelines for most cars. SVX isn't much different, but SVX like the trany fluid changed as per above, other cars will let you slide on that one.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Well Landshark, I am glad to see there is something we agree on. The 3000 mile oil change was created (like so many other car myths out there) by the people who profit from it. It is a total waste to change your oil that often. My recommendation is every 5000 miles. If you use full synthetic, you could really go more like 7500 safely...but if you want to be "over-protective", go with 5000. Realistically you should be able to go 15,000 miles with full synthetic oil before it begins to have ANY adverse effect on your engine, but i sure don't recommend doing that.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Well Landshark, I am glad to see there is something we agree on. The 3000 mile oil change was created (like so many other car myths out there) by the people who profit from it. It is a total waste to change your oil that often. My recommendation is every 5000 miles. If you use full synthetic, you could really go more like 7500 safely...but if you want to be "over-protective", go with 5000. Realistically you should be able to go 15,000 miles with full synthetic oil before it begins to have ANY adverse effect on your engine, but i sure don't recommend doing that.
there's that point where paranoia overrides manufacturers specs. i do it at 5k (synthetic), because i do a lot of city driving. 3 mo/3k is ridiculous, but i've seen some wackos on car forums change every TWO THOUSAND miles! "relax, pal. have a drink."

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-18-2004, 12:13 PM
StaceyVX

Ok, here's the update. I got the oil changed. When he told them to change the trans. fluid, the service manager told him that I shouldn't because draining would clean out what's called a "dirt seal". He said that around the seals and gaskets that the antifreeze circulates around has dirt helping to prevent leaks in there, and that changing the fluid would cause the new fluid's detergent to eat away at it and cause leaks.

As for the differential fluid, he forgot. Is this a big deal?

What do you guys have to say about this?

Last edited by StaceyVX; 01-18-2004 at 12:42 PM.