How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
nextcubepro

Quick aftermarket question(s)

- Having my subs finaly installed. They told me they wire to the battery, to the head stereo unit, then finally to the subs in the trunk. Best Buy, where I bought the equipment, says they do at least 3 cars a day and have virtually no failure rate. But, will the SVX be harder to work with than other cars for this?

- Thinking of having a new remote start/alarm thing installed. Tried to have someone do it once before, but the $350 estimate total went up $100 for a relay for the door locks because my 92 SVX has no power door lock switch. Is that a BS story? I was thinking it was, because the stock system manages to lock and unlock the doors, so there must be a relay somewhere.

Any opinions out there? Maybe a diagram or something for the techs???
Old 01-16-2004, 11:20 AM
TorG0d

The subs should pose no significant problem, with the exception of possibly having to use actual speaker wires for signal as I'm not sure if the stereo has pre-amps. Wish them luck getting the stock stereo out, though. Took me 4 hours just to figure it out. I know there's a guide on the Internet somewhere detailing how to do it, seems pretty accurate in hindsight.

No clue on the door locks as I've yet to replace the door speakers.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:49 AM

Re: Quick aftermarket question(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
- Having my subs finaly installed. They told me they wire to the battery, to the head stereo unit, then finally to the subs in the trunk. Best Buy, where I bought the equipment, says they do at least 3 cars a day and have virtually no failure rate. But, will the SVX be harder to work with than other cars for this?

- Thinking of having a new remote start/alarm thing installed. Tried to have someone do it once before, but the $350 estimate total went up $100 for a relay for the door locks because my 92 SVX has no power door lock switch. Is that a BS story? I was thinking it was, because the stock system manages to lock and unlock the doors, so there must be a relay somewhere.

Any opinions out there? Maybe a diagram or something for the techs???
just posted to another thread. look in my locker on what has to be done for wiring up an alarm with door locks. A relay isn't needed, but two diodes are...maybe $1.29 at Radio Shack. Even if a relay was needed, it's maybe $5 at any parts pace. Not to worry you, but there are lots of horror stories about Best Buy and Circuit City installers. I would check out prices at some local shops.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:37 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by TorG0d
The subs should pose no significant problem, with the exception of possibly having to use actual speaker wires for signal as I'm not sure if the stereo has pre-amps. Wish them luck getting the stock stereo out, though. Took me 4 hours just to figure it out. I know there's a guide on the Internet somewhere detailing how to do it, seems pretty accurate in hindsight.

No clue on the door locks as I've yet to replace the door speakers.
Any how to pages out there that I can hand to the techs that do it?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Here's one from my site:

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/how-t...placement.html

There's another one out there as well.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:15 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Here's one from my site:

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/how-t...placement.html

There's another one out there as well.
Thanks for that, but I already have an aftermarket head unit and speakers...this is just a sub installation into the trunk...and what worries me most about it is wiring from the battery. Can they short out my whole car? How do they run the wires from the hood all the way to the trunk? Do they drill? etc,,,etc,,,hmm.

And the place I want the remote start done, a system with the remote start and alarm system, was $300 installed. I dropped the car off, and they said because the car didn't have an actual power door lock switch, the price went up to $450 because the relay was $125, plus the extra labor.

God I hate the aftermarket auto business.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:05 PM
TorG0d

They usually run the wires under your carpet. No drilling should be required, as the wires will probably just run around the back seats and through wherever the other wires run through the firewall.

As for shorting out your car, not likely with shielded wire and someone with any idea whatsoever of basic electrical theory.

Torgo or not Torgo, that is the question.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Superbeast

Well, they might have to drill a hole for the power cable but being a install place I would hope they know how to do it right. It should have a fuse up by the battery and a gromment where it gos through the firewall, pretty basic stuff.

I would be a little worried about having a big chain store do it though, you might want to ask if they are familier with the car and how the radio come out, if not you might want to find a place that does.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-16-2004, 07:32 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Well, they might have to drill a hole for the power cable but being a install place I would hope they know how to do it right. It should have a fuse up by the battery and a gromment where it gos through the firewall, pretty basic stuff.

I would be a little worried about having a big chain store do it though, you might want to ask if they are familier with the car and how the radio come out, if not you might want to find a place that does.
No place in the NY metro area is even remotely familiar with the SVX. Literally.

I do know how to remove the radio. It is a huge pain in the ass, but i'm THRILLED about that. 4 months ago, someone tried to steal it, but gave up mid way ( ).

The Best Buy place seems to be trustworthy with installations, and carry a 4 year all around warranty for everything (labor and parts), so I just hope they don't screw up.

What's more involved: remote start and alarm install, or sub installation?

(P.S. - If they drill a hole, will they seal it for rust and wind reasons?)

I'm so sorry about all these stupid questions but i'm frightened, and my father has been throwing the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" at me, but the stuff is already paid for and I REALLY want it!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Superbeast

I have installed many, many stereo systems but have yet to touch an alarm system/ remote starter. I have removed older alarms that people don't want in their cars any more. They are really a joke and could be bypassed in 60secs.

If best buy is the only place around then I guess you could go there, the only thing I would be worried about then busting up is the radio cage, so you might want to take that out so they can just run the pre-amps up to it.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:41 PM
ChrisR

If you already have the subs/amp, I would look for an "amp install kit". It will come with all the wires/fuses/etc that you will need to do it yourself, and should contain decent instructions. They can be had for like 20 bucks off ebay for a nice one. Seriously, it's not hard. The hardest part would be taking out your head unit again to plug stuff in back there.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:46 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:

Thanks for that, but I already have an aftermarket head unit and speakers...this is just a sub installation into the trunk...and what worries me most about it is wiring from the battery. Can they short out my whole car? How do they run the wires from the hood all the way to the trunk? Do they drill? etc,,,etc,,,hmm.

God I hate the aftermarket auto business.
I installed my own amp/sub. The power wire runs through the firewall near the gas petal. It's grounded to part of the frame near the back seat. Should be no problem install, but I've heard that BestBuy will not touch the SVX. You could probably do it yourself with a little patience. How much are they gonna charge you for it? I'd be willing to do it for half of whatever they're charging

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-16-2004, 10:15 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

I installed my own amp/sub. The power wire runs through the firewall near the gas petal. It's grounded to part of the frame near the back seat. Should be no problem install, but I've heard that BestBuy will not touch the SVX. You could probably do it yourself with a little patience. How much are they gonna charge you for it? I'd be willing to do it for half of whatever they're charging
They're charging me $50 thanks to an employee discount. IM me on AIM @ nextcubepro ...thanks for the info!
Old 01-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by TorG0d
... Wish them luck getting the stock stereo out, though. Took me 4 hours just to figure it out. I know there's a guide on the Internet somewhere detailing how to do it, seems pretty accurate in hindsight.
Here's my stereo removal/replacement guide, which has more detailed pictures:

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/AudioInstall.htm

nextcubepro, I did see where you said you had a new head unit installed already. We mentioned these instructions in case you go to an installer and they don't know how to remove it (which they will need to do to make the connections to your amp).
Old 01-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Door lock/unlock

Quote:
Thinking of having a new remote start/alarm thing installed. Tried to have someone do it once before, but the $350 estimate total went up $100 for a relay for the door locks because my 92 SVX has no power door lock switch.
There is a connector for the factory security/keyless-entry module. On the 92 it's located behind the glovebox. It has contacts to lock and unlock the doors. I'm sure these are low-current outputs; there's a relay somewhere else in the SVX.

That's where I'd try to connect if I were installing an after-market security system. You'll probably find several other pins on that connector that would be useful. The hard part will be finding a plug that mates with it.

I found this diagram in somebody's locker on this site, but can't remember where, so I'm attaching it here. It's a pin-out of the security module connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securitysystem.jpg (139.4 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by SVXdc; 01-17-2004 at 08:32 PM.