Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-06-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm just sayin'..........

Legacy Turbo 5MT Tranny

Hey,

I'm going to be getting a legacy turbo within the next several weeks and it has no reverse. I'm thinking of having it converted. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a Legacy Turbo 5spd tranny? I'm looking for pricing right now as well as a list of what I might need. I've gotta sell the Loyale before I can begin the conversion. I've joined a legacy turbo message board as well as the ultimate subaru message board, but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!!

Bobby

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 07-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Green1995SVX

Are you selling the Loyale? Do you have a price?

Mike
Old 07-06-2003, 09:09 AM

Mike,

I'm selling it......I don't want to, but I don't need three cars. I'm asking $1600. I'd ask more, but the cam and crank seals need to be replaced. It has a 5 spd, 4WD not AWD, new tires, new inspection, ac (still works and uses the old stuff). I changed the front brake pads last year as well as the rear brake shoes. The car was literally owned by a little old lady who lives in a retirement village near Hershey. She drove it back and forth to Florida to visit her daughter and that's why the mileage is so high. Overall it's a very clean car (you've seen it...lol....not clean though....it didn't get many baths last winter) The car was garage kept until I bought it and only has a small rust spot on the driver's side rocker panel just in front of the rear wheel. The interior has no tears whatsoever and is in great shape.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Superbeast

I think you mean youre getting a Legacy turbo with an auto and you want to install a five speed tranny? You might find it easier and cheaper to just use a regular 5 speed then. When I blew 5th gear in mine it was really hard to find another one, and when I did it was like $700. You could also use a WRX tranny. As far as any thing else for the conversion, it should be like doing a swap in an SVX except all the stuff you need will just bolt right in.

What is the Legacy Turbo forum you found? I couldn't really find one for the Turbos, at least not as active as this place. Anyway good luck they have a lot of potential to be very quick cars, and are a lot easier to modify than the SVX.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Here is the first gen Legacy club that I belong to. Legacy Central It is the best source I have found for info.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:34 AM

That's the one!!!!! and yes it's an auto that I want converted to a 5 spd......

Old 07-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Legacy 5 speed

Just don't park it where you need reverse. Everything will then be fine. I'll second the set up for a normal legacy from the same vintage. Much cheaper, easier to get parts for and with a decent clutch you'll handle the extra power just fine. Basically you'll need the pedals, tranny, tranny mounts, dif, driveshaft and the stick/ interior parts. If you really wanna do it right you'd also need the cluster w/o the lights. Did you decide where you're gonna get it done yet? Larry the mechanic at Mike Shaffer's Auto Sales in Marietta has some parts Legacy's there so it would probably be a simple drop off and pick up procedure. He's also real reasonable as far as prices go. If you want his number I can drag it out of somewhere. I'd trust him. He knows Subies! Drives an XT6 himself.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:26 PM
SVXdriver_007

5 Speed Turbo tranny

Having just done the research for a Legacy turbo 5 speed I can say its going to be pretty tough to find. there is less of them than there is SVXes If the info I gathered was correct. Like Subafreak said the cheapest one I found was 700$ and then add the freight cost from Michigan (I think) and now your talking 900$, and that was ONLY ythe tranny. In comparrison there is a guy 1 state away all but begging me to buy a complete setup for the swap from a legacy outback for 1500$ shipped and I bet I could talk him down as I inquired about it 3 months ago and he still emails me weekly.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:35 PM
SVXdriver_007

actually here is the thread from when Jesse lost 5th gear from his

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...5&pagenumber=3

and here is the info on the 5 speeds that I found.

1991 - 58 5-speeds were sold, and 149 automatics were sold.

1992 - 6 5-speeds were sold, and 5 automatics were sold.

1993 - 25 5-speeds were sold, and 45 automatics were sold.

1994 - 170 5-speeds were sold, and 230 automatics were sold.

This is a total of 688 of these vehicles sold and only 259 5-speeds! Now subtract the usual road attrition and the 5-speeds have been lost to rally competetion, and there can't be more than 100-200 left in the country.

OH and for the record the one we ended up buying was a 92 wich meand the freak has a very rare SVX indeed with a 1 of 6 5 speeds.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdriver_007
actually here is the thread from when Jesse lost 5th gear from his

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...5&pagenumber=3

and here is the info on the 5 speeds that I found.

1991 - 58 5-speeds were sold, and 149 automatics were sold.

1992 - 6 5-speeds were sold, and 5 automatics were sold.

1993 - 25 5-speeds were sold, and 45 automatics were sold.

1994 - 170 5-speeds were sold, and 230 automatics were sold.

This is a total of 688 of these vehicles sold and only 259 5-speeds! Now subtract the usual road attrition and the 5-speeds have been lost to rally competetion, and there can't be more than 100-200 left in the country.

OH and for the record the one we ended up buying was a 92 wich meand the freak has a very rare SVX indeed with a 1 of 6 5 speeds.

Where did you get these numbers? I know of at least 15 Legacy Turbos floating around here and when my mom bought her's they said it was a 2000 a year run for them. Granted you're right that the autos far out numbered the manuals. As for your data I'm quite curious as my mom's is a 92 auto and I know someone else with a 92 auto, there was also one at a dealer a couple months back so does that mean I know where 60% of the 92 autos are?
Old 07-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Superbeast

Numbers maybe inaccurate but called 3 local junkyards, 2 that specialize in Subarus, and even through there network they couldn't find me one. I don't know how Shane found it but I'm glad he did.

BTW: Fifth gear out of a 92 FWD tranny will go in a 91 AWD turbo tranny and fix it.

Old 07-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs
Here is the first gen Legacy club that I belong to. Legacy Central It is the best source I have found for info.

Looks good, I joined in case I ever decide to put my Legacy back together.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:27 AM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Where did you get these numbers? I know of at least 15 Legacy Turbos floating around here and when my mom bought her's they said it was a 2000 a year run for them. Granted you're right that the autos far out numbered the manuals. As for your data I'm quite curious as my mom's is a 92 auto and I know someone else with a 92 auto, there was also one at a dealer a couple months back so does that mean I know where 60% of the 92 autos are?
I found this info through Google of course. did a search and found some guy with a website. So no I never calleds Subaru and confirmed or anything.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:32 AM

Re: Legacy 5 speed

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Just don't park it where you need reverse. Everything will then be fine. I'll second the set up for a normal legacy from the same vintage. Much cheaper, easier to get parts for and with a decent clutch you'll handle the extra power just fine. Basically you'll need the pedals, tranny, tranny mounts, dif, driveshaft and the stick/ interior parts. If you really wanna do it right you'd also need the cluster w/o the lights. Did you decide where you're gonna get it done yet? Larry the mechanic at Mike Shaffer's Auto Sales in Marietta has some parts Legacy's there so it would probably be a simple drop off and pick up procedure. He's also real reasonable as far as prices go. If you want his number I can drag it out of somewhere. I'd trust him. He knows Subies! Drives an XT6 himself.
Yes,

Definately give me his number.....I'm going to try to get everything done at once....seals replaced, water pump replaced, timing belt, and the tranny swap.

Old 07-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Someone on the Nasioc board has a turbo five speed for sale for 500 bucks Here is the post Maybe he still has it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: