Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2003, 11:05 PM
The Molinator

engine vs. tranny ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Heh, Guys!

Today I caught my car doing something I thought it might be doing, but didn't check much to make sure! When my svx started shuddering on the way home from work at about 60 mph, I braked quickly after putting the AT in Neutral - - - - - When I got to a stop, the engine was running rough again (as it had sometimes on startup! This indicates to me that THIS SHUDDERING PROBLEM COULD VERY WELL BE ANOTHER MANIFESTATION OF THE POOR ENGINE PERFORMANCE!!!

We thought it could be a tranny problem separate from the obvious engine "rough idle" at startup (after long cooldowns). It seems now to be what I suspected, simply an engine performance problem with different manifestations!? [No tranny problem at all!?]

Does it sound like an engine problem only now to you guys?
THANKS, Jim
Old 01-15-2003, 03:27 AM

Registered SVX
No. You have said that the whole car shakes and no engine fault short of something mechanical and major and very obvious would do this.

You have been given good advice based on simple logic which I regret to have to point out as kindly as possible you do not appear to accept. We are not talking rocket science here. Worn tires as you describe indicate faulty wheel alignment and this coupled with the car shaking indicates this is caused through faulty steering or suspension components and this factor should be checked and elliminated FIRST and soon.

In particular if the castor angle is out and or not stable the car will shimmy and many variables will cause this to be intermittent. As it would appear you have not had the car from new accident damage at some stage may be involved rather than fair wear and tear. As has been pointed out you could be in danger.

The only alternative is that you are not accurately describing the symtoms as the answers given have been based on basic logic and expert knowledge particularly in respect of Beav.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:44 AM
The Molinator

Question Basic logic >

Trevor,
I appreciate your time and help, BUT . . . . . . Isn't it "basic logic" that if the engine rough idle problem is now being identified at the same time as the shuddering problem, that they might in fact be one in the same??

By the way, I just thought, ya know when the shuddering occurs it doesn't shake the steering wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't that sorta rule out a front suspension problem causing the shuddering????????????

GUYS!, whaturyerthots?

THANKS for your continuing help, Jim
Old 01-16-2003, 04:01 AM

Registered SVX
Jim,

Answered your PM prior to reading your post so that you have my further thoughts. Keep at it, you will get it sorted.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-17-2003, 12:05 AM
The Molinator

inject this!

Don't be mad guys for me bringing up something new, but . . . . . How likely is it that the rough running at idle (and now maybe during shuddering) is a fuel injection problem?

I changed the fuel filter early on in this diagnostic feast, by the way.

If possible, what would most likely be wrong and how could I diagnose it?

THANKS, Jim
Old 01-19-2003, 02:07 PM
The Molinator

Question injector problem?

Ya no!, I remember someone here told me this engine problem could be fuel injection related. They said when the idling is rough (unfortunately very intermittent) that I could pull injector wires one at a time to see if I got one wire which didn't make much difference in the roughness - This would be THE injector that was bad.

Yesterday, I just pulled one of the injector wires off and started the engine. Although I didn't drive the car, at idle it acted just like mine has when intermittently doing the rough engine thing. Unfortunately, it will be very difficult to check these injectors in this manner, because of the intermittent nature of this engine fault.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW:

1. Would it hurt my engine to pull off one injector wire and drive it to see if the performance is also identical at higher speeds?

2. Is there a better way to check the injectors or other injection components either myself or by a mechanic (intermittent)?

3. Would ignition component failure cause this same rough idle (like crank angle sensor, cam sensor, even coil pack) in an intermittent manner?

THANKS! Jim

P.S. I got my new YOKO db's yesterday (alignment tomorrow) -
You should see the wear on my left front tire (kept it to show the alignment guys!). Completely flat on inside edge only! It'll be interesting to see if the camber, castor or toe-in were way off!
Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Registered Abuser

I'm sure you've already considered this, but I didn't see it mentioned before. Is it drinking 91+ octane? I hope no one finds this insulting, but the problem you are describing seems very similar to what I experienced when an attendant put 87 in.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 01-20-2003, 12:43 AM
The Molinator

octane

Yep! She's drinking 91+ always, plus gas treatment added regularly to clean things up. No insult. I'm getting desperate to find out here @ SVX.net what sensor or other part intermittent failure could cause this havoc (before turning her over to a strange, and very expensive I'm sure, mechanic). Thanks for mentioning it.

HEH GUYS! WHAT ABOUT THE INJECTORS - CAN YOU HELP?

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-21-2003, 12:45 AM
The Molinator

Question HELP! . . . .

Please read my most recent posts and replies (since 1-15-03) and comment if you can.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP! Jim

P.S. Got my alignment and suspension check: ALL OK! The toe-in was "severely" toed out causing the severe inner edge wear.
NO BROKEN, WORN or BENT PARTS (this is not the shudder source).
Old 02-12-2003, 01:00 AM
The Molinator

Thumbs down transmission, my rough idle!

Well, I don't yet know exactly what's causing the rough idle and shuddering (both intermittent), but I'd bet my bippy that it's not a transmission problem at all!

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!