Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by gschabel
Thanks everyone!! Keep those ideas, experiences, and opinions coming!!
Well, if you're looking for opinions, you're definitely in the right place.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 12-13-2002, 04:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Ah, the Huntington Towne House was my first experience with "Wedding Factories." Seinfeld should have done an episode on this phenomenon.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 12-13-2002, 04:49 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Interesting!

Very interesting thread guys.

I have just had my tranny done, and I want to keep it done. So I intend flushing and refilling after four months driving. I will find this ATF+3 and use it for the refill.

However, with the extra cooler, the tranny is not now burning up the oil like it used to, but I am all for belt and braces approach here. Failing tranny is not something anybody needs.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-13-2002, 07:39 AM

Re: Interesting!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Very interesting thread guys.

I have just had my tranny done, and I want to keep it done. So I intend flushing and refilling after four months driving. I will find this ATF+3 and use it for the refill.

Joe
I wasn't going to post to this thread anymore, but I can't help myself....typed as I bang my head against my desk.

I believe use of ATF +3 will void the warranty (but I have no idea of how they could prove it). Many Japanese cars (Subaru included) specify Dexron II, not Dexron III, even after III came out. Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc all make a synthetic ATF that is able to meet both II & III specs. There is a difference in base stock quality of the non-synthetics of 50,000 vice 20,000 Brookfield cP at -40C respectively, with lower being better per Subaru tech buletin. There's also a difference in the additive package. However, as per my earlier post only Amsoil claims to be able to meet both ATF+3 and Dexron in one fluid (a claim that is disputed by Kendall - see my earlier post).

It is my opinion that synthetic ATF is of much more utility than synthetic engine oil. That's based on oil getting changed more frequently, and an ATF's need to withstand the occasional high-temp surge without losing it's lubrication qualities. And this happens to be where synthetics shine - since without them there wouldn't be much jet engine technology today.

Are Redline products available in your country? They make a specific high-temp ATF that still meets Dexron specs. I e-mailed their tech support who did not recommend it (high temp stuff), stating that their regular synthetic Dexron rated ATF would be sufficient. In my e-mail I explained I owned a SVX which was prone to heat damage, but they stuck to not using the high-temp as the additives needed to get high-temp also degrade other characteristics, i.e., no such thing as a free lunch.

If you do go the ATF+3 route, it would be helpful if you gave a long term update - we already have one satisfied customer (nevermind65), it would be nice to get another confirmation.

Last edited by lee; 12-13-2002 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:51 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thin Redline

Lee

I take it Redline are suggesting their standard synthetic is the correct one for the SVX, as opposed to the Hi-temp one which most people here use and rave about? Strange, but standard synthetics are more resistant to breakdown than mineral oils.

Warranty does not bother me, it is on a handshake basis. In fact, when the pump blew last week, he took it back, stripped it, replaced the pump, all at no charge. What I am more interested in is keeping the box alive.

Redline products are sold here in the North of Ireland, different currency, Sterling zone. Sterling is so strong vs Euro, it is prohibitive to have a cup of coffee up there. Redline products are already seeeriously expensive, and with the currency surcharge foggedaboudit

That is why I thought the Chrysler oil to be attractive, higher heat handling, half the price of Redline.

Will keep you posted when I change the oil.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-13-2002, 03:54 PM

Re: Thin Redline

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Lee

I take it Redline are suggesting their standard synthetic is the correct one for the SVX, as opposed to the Hi-temp one which most people here use and rave about? ...snip...Joe
That's what they e-mailed me. Before paying their prices i would suggest you e-mail them yourself and see if you get the same answer. One always has to wonder about the skills of the person on the other end.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:34 AM
nevermind65

clarification

After reading some of the posts, maybe I should clarify what I am saying.

My SVX had about 35k miles when I first changed the trans fluid. I pulled the dipstick and although it wasn't what you would consider "burnt", it did have a slight smell of starting to burn a bit. I then changed the fliud, filter, added an external filter and 2 16,000GVW coolers. This may have been a bit overkill, but from the horror stories I was reading almost daily on these transmissions, better too much than not enough as long as it worked correctly.

Well, after about 5-7k miles, the trans started shifting weird. Harsh shifts, jerking at highway speeds, etc. I assumed from the stories, and mileage, that it's days were limited. At the time, my brother worked at a Dodge dealership and was telling me about this new fluid Chrysler came out with that addresses those same problems in Chrysler vehicles where the average trans life was also about 40-50k.

I really had nothing to lose at this point. I either keep driving it the way it was, and replace the trans, or take a chance on this fluid and maybe it will help. So, I TOTALLY drained the trans and all lines etc and installed the Chrysler fluid. What a difference it made! The erratic shifting etc was totally gone! I have used it ever since without one adverse effect.

Now, the odd thing is, ATF + 3 has been ok'd for use in older Chrysler vehicles where Dexron was originally used. If the ATF + 3 is compatible with older Chryslers that used Dexron, why isn't it compatible with other vehicles that used Dexron?

So, it worked great for me, but if I had a new or recently rebuilt transmission, I would put what the manufacturer or rebuilder calls for in it and use the synthetic version. Unfortunately, I am almost positive Subaru doesn't recommend synthetic based lubricants at all if I recall, so either way, you are S.O.L. My response was to the original poster that had 99k on the trans and not had the fluid changed the whole time. Then I would put ATF + 3, but it is up to you.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Third time lucky.

Thanks for the clarification nevermind, much appreciated.

I have had poor luck with the transmission since I got my car. When I originally imported it, I discovered to my dismay, the car was stuck in third range all the time. Thought it was in get-u-home mode, but in fact the third gear was siezed. Having driven for months in three range, I sourced a '96 tranny, and put the internals from that one into my original tranny case.

Worked a treat for a few months, till the brake bands went and left me with only 1 and 3 gears this time. Recently had the box remanufactured, so now I have all four forwards again. I feel with my run of luck the same as you did; nothing to lose.

If there is not much difference in price or the +3 is unobtainable, I will probably use Redline. I have yet to see a post here or on Yahoo! that has a negative story about it's use. That's good enough for me.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-14-2002, 11:15 PM
gschabel

I went shopping today and bought my external tranny cooler at Pep Boys.

I noticed (in a few stores) no plain Dextron III, but everyone has this Dextron III / Mercon fluid, stating good for all Dextron and Mercon applications.

Is this what the stock Dextron II/III is today?

Is plain Dextron III no longer made?
Old 12-15-2002, 12:58 PM

Dexron II, III and some Mercons are close enough in fluid requirements and additives that they can meet both with a single ATF. Mercon V requires at least semi-synthetic.

I've seen DIII/Mercon for less than $5 a gallon. While oil and other lubricants aren't always "you get what you pay for", I would recommend you at least spring for a brand name.

If you want to research ATF on the web, go to each companies site and look for the Brookfield Viscosity value at -40C. A lower number generally indicates a higher quality base stock. For example to be called Dexron II it must have a value of 50,000, Dexron III 20,000. Mobil 1 has a value (if I remember correctly) between 5,000 and 6,000.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:55 PM

Thats very interesting about redline high temp...I've been using it, now I'm wondering if I should change. This is the cheapest place I found to buy redline products.

http://www.myoilshop.com
04 VW Beetle GLS