Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 04:10 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

What I've Learned About Side Piping

The side pipes are a thing of the past. I hacked them off last night because breaking the hangers and having a dangling exhaust doesn't fly well with me. Plus the sound wasn't exactly what I was looking for. The sound was OK, but once you got over 3500 RPM's, the exhaust note sounded like I had been misfiring and skipping a cylinder.

So, I am back to having no Y cat, which sounds really good in my opinion. I think, since the motor is a no interference motor, getting the piping mandrel bent and running true dual all the way to the rear. I also think a little angle towards the sides of the car on the tips would look really good. I think the exhaust note would be exactly what I'm looking for as well.

Also, not that I'm working at a car dealership, I can get my turbo setup under way. I should be able to get an STi Turbo, injectors, and fuel rails for cheap. Might even rig up the STi Top mount intercooler to work in the bumper or even go with an SRT-4 intercooler. Not sure yet.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 11-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayUFO
The side pipes are a thing of the past. I hacked them off last night because breaking the hangers and having a dangling exhaust doesn't fly well with me. Plus the sound wasn't exactly what I was looking for. The sound was OK, but once you got over 3500 RPM's, the exhaust note sounded like I had been misfiring and skipping a cylinder.

So, I am back to having no Y cat, which sounds really good in my opinion. I think, since the motor is a no interference motor, getting the piping mandrel bent and running true dual all the way to the rear. I also think a little angle towards the sides of the car on the tips would look really good. I think the exhaust note would be exactly what I'm looking for as well.

Also, not that I'm working at a car dealership, I can get my turbo setup under way. I should be able to get an STi Turbo, injectors, and fuel rails for cheap. Might even rig up the STi Top mount intercooler to work in the bumper or even go with an SRT-4 intercooler. Not sure yet.

Keith

What exactly does interferance have ANYTHING to do with exhaust.. either sound or otherwise?

I doubt you'll be able to get STi anything cheap... even for dealer employees prices are retarded. not to mention you'd still have to custom make exhaust manifold/crosspipe. crazy crap to get it the exhaust into the turbo, then you'll have an even tougher time trying to route the piping... As far as a cheap intercooler. I bought my Eclipse front mount for 245$ with endtanks and its a QUALITY piece. theres better aftermarket options that the dealer parts. for fuel injectors, i'm not sure how much the Stealer charges for them, but i'm guessing you could get them cheaper aftermarket. The stock ones may be of higher quality though, it depends.

And what the hell are you going to do with the 4 cylinder fuelrails on a 6 cylinder?

If you are serious about this turbo build... PM me... I've got quite a few ideas from the DSM and 944 world that would pretty easily apply to the SVX... I was thinking about possibly starting an "Last turbo thread we'll ever need" kinda thing... might do it later. problem is, I'm not actually going to do it, and somebody has to take the plunge.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker