Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-01-2004, 11:45 AM
mark10t

<<Is it $59 or $590? I would think $59 wouldn't buy the paint, unless you were using home depot latex>>

Reminds me of when I worked for Sears back in the late '60's/early'70's- one of the guys that worked in the paint department would re-paint his car every few months. I think he used paint that someone returned because it was the wrong color, etc. He used a roller.....................

-Mark
Old 02-01-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t

He used a roller.....................

-Mark

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 02-01-2004, 03:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
Jeff,

are you saying that Earl Scheib paint and body is better then Maaco? I looked through their site, and it seems that the prices are better. At least the website itself is a lot better. If it is the case, i might get out of Maaco deal.

NapaBavarian,

I am taking it to the Fremont shop, down by Maury Ave. That is the closest location.

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 02-01-2004, 03:39 PM

Registered SVX
I dunno. People say different things. Someone ditches Maaco, someone loves it. Most of them say that you get your moneys worth. That their paint is not that bad, it is just the way they prepare the car.

Here is what people from porshies site say:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=106043

so..... i need to think.........
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 02-01-2004, 07:36 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by zamorush
Jeff,

are you saying that Earl Scheib paint and body is better then Maaco? I looked through their site, and it seems that the prices are better. At least the website itself is a lot better. If it is the case, i might get out of Maaco deal.

NapaBavarian,

I am taking it to the Fremont shop, down by Maury Ave. That is the closest location.

nik
Earl Scheib uses much better paint than Maaco, and does better body work. I had a Ford done by Maaco and my SVX done by Earl.

But Maaco does better prep work.

So I suggest Earl Scheib, but sand the car down YOURSELF, like I will do next month. Anyone have any info on how to do this?

(If you don't want to sand, okay, but tell them you want to see the car after sanding, or they won't sand the hard to reach areas and you'll peel in approximately 3 months from the shop.)
Old 02-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
I painted for 2 1/2 years, it's a pain in the ass. Was that blunt enough? I actually painted bathtubs, but it's identical to painting cars. Painting is easy, after about 10 years or if you have a good teacher, I didn't. The guy who taught me was great at his job, but I never got any training on the details of spraying, so quallity wasn't what I specialized in. In the proper enviroment I could do a very good job, however I learned 1 very important thing, let someone with the experience do the job, and the problems I've heard about with macco have nothing to do with their sprayers. If you read the porsche lits thread then you know it all, notice all the negatives start with "the economy special"? If your job is the $1700 job then expect good results, I plan to take my '88 325is to them as well as both my '82 and '83 633Csi, my F250, a couple of BMW 2002's, the VW Vanagon, possibly the M3 and SVX if they do an excellent job on the lower level cars.

Prep is easy, time consuming and you must be able to find small imperfections, but you can redo it as many times as you need to in order to get it right. Find a mentor if you need to, but I would recomend your own prep and know what grit of paper they want the final project to be sanded in before they get it. Making friends at the shop is important too, when you see hundreds of cars a month a personal relatoinship makes a big difference. I didnt realize how muck good prep matered untill I tried to sand off some rattle can patch paint I used, it was a real PITA, clean paint is inportant, as well as the proper grit of sandpaper. With the paint I used I could get away with sanding to 220 with the DA sander, also known as the Palm sander or random orbital, and get excellent results, but diferent paints will respond in diferent ways.

OK, now I feel I have made myself feel important, and possibly made up for those one word posts

Smiley Tic Tac Toe anyone?

BTW, I'll be working on my paint tomorrow gotta make that car nice again!

Karl
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.

Last edited by NapaBavarian; 02-01-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:54 PM

Registered SVX
My Car is BACK!

Well....... what can I say. Most of you guys were right. I got whatever i paid for. The new paint looks nice. However, they did a very poor job in preparing the car and painting period.

First, there are a lot of dirt on the paint itself. So they did poor job filtering the paint as well as cleaning the car. Second, they did not paint several spots: Under the Spoiler, on the edjes of the hood and the trunk, door edjes, etc. Third, they broke off my spray nossles on the hood. Fourth, my SVX labels are no more? They tore them off, so now I need to look them up somewhere. That is pretty much it. So, on the scale from one to 10, i would rate this paint job as a 5.

In General the car looks nice. here are some pics.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...zamorush|14873

BTW, if anyone has a part # for hood spray nossles, or SVX Side Labels, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks for all the help and support

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 02-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
DO NOT DO IT. MAACO SUCKS.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=maaco

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=maaco

ANY car that goes to maaco is scarred for life. Even beat up original paint is better to have on your car than cheap, dull, maaco paint with overspray and ...ARGH... I hate that company. I'm just going to get mad if I keep thinking about it so I'm done.

- Rob
Old 02-09-2004, 11:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
DO NOT DO IT. MAACO SUCKS.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/sho...highlight=maaco

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/sho...highlight=maaco

ANY car that goes to maaco is scarred for life. Even beat up original paint is better to have on your car than cheap, dull, maaco paint with overspray and ...ARGH... I hate that company. I'm just going to get mad if I keep thinking about it so I'm done.

- Rob
Rob,

The deed is done.... no i just have to wait and see what happenes.......
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 AM

Look on ebay for svx insignias. saw some there lately. If there are none in the current search, check completed items and see if some are unsold or if they have more. Like 14. ea. I think.

Sometimes Maaco uses such heavy coats of paint, you can wetsnad it down in a few onths when cured.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffN
Sometimes Maaco uses such heavy coats of paint, you can wetsnad it down in a few onths when cured.
IT doesn't matter. In about 1.5-2 years it'll be dull and gross looking. Sorry to hear you already painted the SVX.

- Rob
Old 02-10-2004, 12:28 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by zamorush
My Car is BACK!

Well....... what can I say. Most of you guys were right. I got whatever i paid for. The new paint looks nice. However, they did a very poor job in preparing the car and painting period.

First, there are a lot of dirt on the paint itself. So they did poor job filtering the paint as well as cleaning the car. Second, they did not paint several spots: Under the Spoiler, on the edjes of the hood and the trunk, door edjes, etc. Third, they broke off my spray nossles on the hood. Fourth, my SVX labels are no more? They tore them off, so now I need to look them up somewhere. That is pretty much it. So, on the scale from one to 10, i would rate this paint job as a 5.

In General the car looks nice. here are some pics.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...zamorush|14873

BTW, if anyone has a part # for hood spray nossles, or SVX Side Labels, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks for all the help and support

nik
Told you to do the prep work. Well, it looks good enough, so I hope it lasts you a good long time .