How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 12:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Moving lever to R gear - doing yank....any idea?

Hi, I have just my tranny rebuild (it has on 1500km now) and there is something strange to me. If I move lever from whatever D,P, N to R there is strange yank (it seems nothing happend for a while and then yank and R gear go). I have feeling that it is more connected with AWD than with tranny (it sounds more mechanic than tranny issue) . When it was just rebuild there were no such a yanks. It is also more noticable when the car is parked downhill or uphill than it is quite hard to move the lever to R. It shifts from 1 to 4 with no problems, like new one.

Question is wheather it is related with tranny or AWD or has to be something adjusted.... Thanx for any info, I have still half year warranty but do not want to let my car month or more at tranny shop..

Peter

1995 Burgundy, Czech Republic, Europe
Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Tranny trouble?

Again?

Peter,

If you are constantly parking on a hill, make sure you apply the parking brake firmly enough to hold the car. If you allow the car to roll up or down in Park, it winds up something in the transmission, and it will be jerky to get gear selected.

The symptoms you mention, slow to get R, jerky selection of R, suggest the following in the troubleshooting chart for the tranny:

Lengthy time, N to R is valve sticking.

Shock felt, N to R is valve sticking, or faulty 4a accumulator or bad ATF.

Your ATF is fresh, so the last is not a likely cause.

Of the other two, both symptoms you mention indicate sticking valve, so this is the prime candidate.

For the long delay engaging R, it also suggests "low and reverse brake slipping or seized" This can't be checked without the gearbox out.

Valves can be replaced by dropping the pan, without taking out the box. Did they replace all valves when they fixed your tranny? They should have, but the price you paid was cheap, so maybe they didn't.

You should let them know you think there is a problem if you are under warranty. Would not be surprised if they told you they saw no need to change the valves. A sticking valve is a mechanical problem, and will not show up on the diagnostics.

Hope this helps, Peter,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-05-2003, 12:00 PM

Yeah be care full when parking on a hill, we had a K car with out a emergancy brake and it broke a part in the shifting linkage twice because of how hard it was to select a gear.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:57 PM

Hi Joe, I am being angry from this car :-)
I tried to park such a way only twice on a small hill, I always park on flat surface.
As I have just checked the bill they only changed compleet set of selenoids (I think you mean by valves someting else), set of gear wheels (which were burnt) and some belt (braking belt?).
What you mean by "low and reverse brake slipping or seized". Could you be more concrete?
As I remeber it occured also before my tranny died then after beiing repaired was couple weeks OK and now starts again...
Is it safe to drive it or you sugest to drive it to tranny shop to avoid more damages?
As I remeber there were only panel with all selenoids on it ( I do not know weather selenoid means the same like valve)
Thanx for reply. Do you have idea about costs? What they did cost me so far 1970 USD...
Peter
Old 12-06-2003, 02:22 AM

Joe, by the way what is 4a accumulator?
Thanx Peter
Old 12-06-2003, 05:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Not long after I bought my car, I noticed that when I moved from D, etc to R there was a slight pause then "THUNK"...needless to say, there was much cursing and knashing of teeth!

The tranny was 5,000km old when I bought it, had had a new ATF when I fitted the cooler but was told that the 'THUNK' is the transmission engaging and moving on the mounts (which are soft in the rear) and as long as you don't do what say, I do in the Camry, forward, stop, R back but rather forward, stop, R, pause, then back, it should be fine.

Not sure if yours is the same but I am also curious about the valve!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:24 PM

Ok I will drive it to the tranny shop tomorrow and let it on them. But I want to clear this. What is difference between selenoid and valve? For me the selenoid is kinda of eletro-hydraulic valve which controls pressure and makes shifts. Maybe it is too simply said but valve is the same like selenoid or these things are different? Thanx for teaching me.
Peter
Old 12-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Peter

Sorry for the delay. I have been away for a while, just back tonight.

Yes, you are correct, when the troubleshooter refers to "valves" they mean solenoids.

If yours are replaced with the job, then they should not be giving trouble. There are about 6 of them, and they are all contained in a complicated casette device which can be dropped out after taking out the sump or "pan", i.e. no need to remove the tranny.

The 4a accumulator thingy is also in that same place. Not sure what it does, as I am not clued up on automatics. I suspect it acts as a buffer for fluid transfer, but don't really know.

Inside the tranny are a number of "clutch packs", including the one mentioned. They carry friction material, and cause the car to move forward, reverse and so on, also engine braking. These are what wears out when the tranny is slipping.

When I got my second last repair, the technician on test drive showed me that the car was making a clang or clunk when going for reverse. He said it sometimes happened due to tightness of some of the replaced components. His cure for it was to drive the car at very fast pace in reverse [when there was room, and it was safe to do so ], and he advised me to do this for a while to free or loosen up the components. This I did, and I had no trouble with it.

Maybe yours has tightness from the new components also? It should do no harm to try this, and see if it improves it. Obviously, be very careful when reversing in a hurry.

best of luck with it,

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-18-2003, 02:54 PM

So tranny is ok, they found out that there are bad four rubber parts at rear diff. which we call silent-block (I do not know english word for it...) Thanx for help all of you
Peter
Old 12-19-2003, 05:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Good news you are sorted Peter.

It would be very frustrating if the tranny was bad again, after all your trouble, and the money and time spent on it.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl