Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum

Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Connecticut shooting and the "race card".

I read the article via Yahoo news, and I have to say a lot of the responses have me pretty ticked off.

Examples:

"I think the white guys deserved this Do racist @#$%, get shot. End of story."

"Dan O- you are a real IDIOT. white people are notorius for causing trouble on the job with minorites- I think it is natural for so many of you, you dont even realize it- and white men have been RAPING ALL KINDS of women for years. I believe those snooty little white boys WERE lying and their sorry parents paid for their *Justice*! your a bunch of selective memory having hypocrites."

"Question people,why everytime when the white man get fired from a job he go back and shoot up the whole company and kill many of innocent people instead of killing the one that fired him if he is that upset..White people have some serious issues and they have the nerves to talk about black people,hahaha..How many black people have you seen get fired and have gone back to kill up the company..Yes it shows that white people will never be better than Black People...Fact!!!!"

"They call you crackers cause you crunble when you facing a real MAN."

"The caucasian aganda - Deny, Deny, Deny
Sore Pathetic Caucasian Losers"

THE GUY GOT FIRED FOR STEALING BEER!! WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAVE TO BE "BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK"???? Can someone tell me WHEN it became ok to be racist, unless of course you are white... which apparently automatically makes you racist and wrong about everything?? Seeing comments like these makes me want to scream.....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Connecticut shooting and the "race card".

I hadn't heard of this yet.

I just d "Connecticut Shooting", and hit up the first 5 results hoping to get the whole story. All five pages held the same half dozen soundbites of actual sited sources (all from AP).

What shocked me was the amount of editorial drivel surrounding the sparse facts that they all shared (up to 14 paragraphs in one case). I don't know if there's a single journalist left in America! We may live in the "age of information" but weeding through the opinions of not just commenters but the authors themselves is making the formation of an educated personal opinion almost impossible. I should have just waited until tomorrow morning to hear the true details of the event from BBC Radio rather than waste my time with this blog/news/editorial crap which just hides the facts to promote a personal agenda.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Well, I'm sure I'll get a rundown on Saturday when I see my stepmother.

My stepbrother works at that beer distributor and was there this morning when it all went down. He barred himself in an office with some coworkers and made the 9-11 call.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
I hadn't heard of this yet.

I just d "Connecticut Shooting", and hit up the first 5 results hoping to get the whole story. All five pages held the same half dozen soundbites of actual sited sources (all from AP).

What shocked me was the amount of editorial drivel surrounding the sparse facts that they all shared (up to 14 paragraphs in one case). I don't know if there's a single journalist left in America! We may live in the "age of information" but weeding through the opinions of not just commenters but the authors themselves is making the formation of an educated personal opinion almost impossible. I should have just waited until tomorrow morning to hear the true details of the event from BBC Radio rather than waste my time with this blog/news/editorial crap which just hides the facts to promote a personal agenda.
Yeah its becoming all racial from the beginning... in that they make it seem like the guy came in pissed at white people and wanted to take out his rage on whites BECAUSE they were white, and then idiotic posters come in saying that they DESERVED it because they were white. Comments from a lot of people were nothing but whites this and blacks that, and a story of ONE GUY who went nuts becomes a huge racial issue all of a sudden in yahoo blogs. This highlights how NOT far we have come since the Jim Crow days, as yahoo is a cross section of America in its entirety.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
Well put. People should turn off their TVs and computers and rediscover an AP-affiliate newspaper. (Yeah, like that'll happen; then we'd have to form our own opinions rather than having pre-digested pap spoon-fed to us.)

Feedback posted in on-line "news" venues is anonymous. It's easy to talk trash when nobody knows who you are. And most of us are guilty of getting way to worked-up over it.

dcb
Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Well put. People should turn off their TVs and computers and rediscover an AP-affiliate newspaper. (Yeah, like that'll happen; then we'd have to form our own opinions rather than having pre-digested pap spoon-fed to us.)

Feedback posted in on-line "news" venues is anonymous. It's easy to talk trash when nobody knows who you are. And most of us are guilty of getting way to worked-up over it.

dcb
Actually newspapers are not the answer either. I lived in Atlanta for many years and hated the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It was and is so liberally biased that you still did not get TRUE news. You actually have to check out multi media sources and then form your own opinions after you sort through everyone elses "opinion" on the news.

Also, as we all know in "breaking news" a high percentage of the facts are inaccurate.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
Actually newspapers are not the answer either. I lived in Atlanta for many years and hated the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Lee
Ah, yes... the "liberal" mainstream media. (Read: Distasteful for those who have a problem with mainstream ideas and ideals.) Well that's your opinion, and that of many others, to be sure, and you're all entitled to it.

Actually, the AJC, which used to boast that it "Covers Dixie Like the Dew," is no longer available on newsstands outside the immediate metro area, and the mail subscription was putting to much of a ding in my wallet, so I've opted for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the executive editor of which was a former Reagan staffer. (I say was because he left the paper just weeks ago.) They have just a hint of conservative flavor but also have on staff a brilliant editorial cartoonist who is clearly more liberal minded. Most importantly, they have both a liberal and conservative editorial page. And that's my point.

dcb
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I overslept and missed BBC News Hour on my commute.

Most of the time I get my news from BBC on my drive to work, and NPR's Marketplace on my way home. For editorial comment, I never miss The Daily Show on Comedy Central. I developed a distaste for print news, long before the internet jaded me entirely, by reading The Boulder Daily Camera as a teen. They might as well call that rag the Daily Worker. I don't mind editorial, in fact I do appreciate hearing other's opinions on a subject after I've had a chance to form my own, but when you can't separate the facts from the writer's opinion then you can't form an educated opinion for yourself.

Case in point, and to bring this back to Chris' original post;

According to the Union officials and management at the warehouse the shooter never filed any formal complaints regarding discrimination. Getting home from work and b1tch1ng about your boss does not constitute "a history of discrimination". If it turns out that he had indeed gone through the proper channels of complaint, and that there is now a coverup, then sure enough this is a race issue. However, as I read the facts, there is no evidence that any complaint was made prior to the incident whereas there is video proof of him stealing beer from the warehouse. It doesn't matter what color you are, if you steal than you are a thief. The only color in question here is red. That was the color of his hand when they caught him, and the only color he could see when he was fired for being a rotten thief.

Mike,
I'm glad your family is all okay, I know how scary it is when these things hit close to home (my cousin attended Columbine HS in 2000).
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.

Last edited by K_Dub; 08-04-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: