How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Rear Wheel Bearing DIY

Last night I removed the rear bearing from a hub assembly that I obtained from a salvage yard. All of these parts looked very new with only slight surface rust. I am rather concerned with what I consider a large amount of rolling resistance that was present before the bearing came apart. There was no sound of clicks or feeling of rough spots in the bearing. There just seemed to be a lot of preload on the rollers. This was probably from pressing the final inner race onto the hub with great force. There was no clearance in the bearing that would let it spin more freely. I plan on looking closer but for now I think it very difficult to control the preload of bearing during assembly.

For the disassembly I used a spare wheel for a stand and some boards and beat on a copper pipe to remove the hub. Very low tech it is. I was also able to get the outer race out in a similar manner.

The SM shows a special pusher and various sleeves and stands. It is no wonder the inner and out hub are often replaced. As Paxton71 posted about the front bearing, special tools are required to do this job. There does no appear to be any way to use just a press for this disassembly work.

I thought I had a plan when I bought these parts. I was going to build a new bearing / hub assembly and then put it on my car. However I overlooked that ABS did not come on all cars. The used parts I got did not have ABS and my car does have it. The backing plate has a hole for the ABS sensor and the tone ring is attached to the inner hub. These are the first parts to go on before the bearings go in. Oh well change of plan. I’ll see if I can make a few tools to do the job.