Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2003, 03:26 PM
MAD4SVX

Clutch Problem?

Hi Guys,

I have posted some symptoms before but I don't think I gave enough details or correct details.
My problem was that my engine was 'shaking' causing the whole car to shake, I previously said that it only happened when I depressed the brake peddle - with further investigation I have found that this was a red herring. (My wife only lets me use the car on Fridays as she does not have school then, so it’s difficult for me to look closely at the car!)

While in Park, the revs are at about 1200rpm and the car feels ok. When I put it into drive, the rpm’s drop down to about 700rpm. A drop in revs is expected as the engine is under load but is 700 rpm ok? This is when the engine starts to shake. If I hold the brake down with one foot, and use the other foot to slightly push the accelerator down to increase the revs to about 1200 rpm, the shaking stops. Or if I put the car back into Neutral or park - the revs increase and the shaking stops.

Also, while in drive and without pressing the accelerator, the car moves forward. My ‘new’ guess is that the clutch is not fully disengaging at idle with the car in drive. I don’t know too much about cars, especially Automatics. Does any of this make sense? Should my car have more rpm’s while in drive? Or does my clutch theory sound true? -if so is there an adjustment for the clutch?

Any help would be appriciated - I'm shaking at stops signs!

Cheers

Mark
Old 03-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Clutch Problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by MAD4SVX
Hi Guys,

I have posted some symptoms before but I don't think I gave enough details or correct details.
My problem was that my engine was 'shaking' causing the whole car to shake, I previously said that it only happened when I depressed the brake peddle - with further investigation I have found that this was a red herring. (My wife only lets me use the car on Fridays as she does not have school then, so it’s difficult for me to look closely at the car!)

While in Park, the revs are at about 1200rpm and the car feels ok. When I put it into drive, the rpm’s drop down to about 700rpm. A drop in revs is expected as the engine is under load but is 700 rpm ok? This is when the engine starts to shake. If I hold the brake down with one foot, and use the other foot to slightly push the accelerator down to increase the revs to about 1200 rpm, the shaking stops. Or if I put the car back into Neutral or park - the revs increase and the shaking stops.

Also, while in drive and without pressing the accelerator, the car moves forward. My ‘new’ guess is that the clutch is not fully disengaging at idle with the car in drive. I don’t know too much about cars, especially Automatics. Does any of this make sense? Should my car have more rpm’s while in drive? Or does my clutch theory sound true? -if so is there an adjustment for the clutch?

Any help would be appriciated - I'm shaking at stops signs!

Cheers

Mark
Mark, I dont think this gear box trouble. This seems to be a problem with the Idle speed control unit that adjusts the idle speed to keep it at 650-700 rpm when warm.
It looks like it is gooed up so that you are held at a fast idle speed.

The fix is to clean the throttle body and Idle control valve with a carb cleaner to remove the goo.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:11 PM
MAD4SVX

Hi, thanks for the reply, I've already cleaned the throtle body but don't know where the idle contol is - is it near the throttle body?