How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-04-2002, 10:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
Transmission Code 24 (Duty Solenoid C)

Ok, the '92 I just purchased is suppose to have a remanufactured transmission that has around 15K miles. I was told by the previous owner (and have records) that the Subaru Dealership said the transmission needs new transfer clutches. It actually states they are "worn" on the paperwork. It also states that the car had mismatched tires (brand/size) and they recommended replacing all 4. Since the kid I bought it from only had it but 3K miles and his friend that he bought it off of had it for 5K miles.....I'm assuming the mismatched tires were on there for a while. They were eventually replaced and now it has 4 new matching tires.

I have mixed feelings about the car. The first time I drove it the roads were wet and I didn't think the AWD would kick in at all. Then on Monday when I ran it around Pittsburgh and I would romp on it from a stop, the car didn't seem to burn rubber (I could feel it spin a little but it "seemed" to take off okay). Now I have it home with me in Erie and I've been driving it around in the snow....the car doesn't act like the AWD is working. In snow it just spins and the steering wheel jerks all over the place eventually catching traction and almost losing control.

I have a power light that flashes 16 times each startup and I decided to check the codes. Below is what I found out:

12-Duty Solenoid B
24-Duty Solenoid C

I've read that the Duty Solenoid B has something to do with the TC lockup and if the Solenoid malfunctions then the TC will not lockup at all. Well my car locks and unlocks fine. So, why would I have this code????

I've read that the Duty Solenoid C has to do with the AWD. I'm curious if this could be causing my problems. I can't find the FWD Fuse holder in the engine compartment but the light is NOT on in the dash, however, it does not turn on when I turn the key to the on position.

I need opinions on what to look for with the AWD situation. I bought the car for the winter and right now it doesn't go in the snow or handle worth a crap. If I can get by with replacing the Solenoid C....thats great. If not its time to part this thing out.

Thanks

Last edited by IwantaSVX; 12-04-2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:10 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Duty Sol C.

The Duty Sol C is actually in back of the tranny. It'll cost ya about $600-700 to replace as its labor intensive. If the transfer clutches are worn then they did a crappy job of fixing it. As for the tires measure them if they are more than 1/4 of an inch different in diameter then they could be your problem. The FWD fuse holder is in the fuse box in the eng compartment. Should be marked if not its probably the only one that has nothing in it. When my Soc C went it wouldn't go into fwd at all. Take it to a parking lot and do a doughnut. If you feel binding that means it is staying in 50-50 4wd or part time 4wd DRIVING IT ON NONE LOOSE SUFACES WILL FRY YOUR TRANNY since all wheels are spining equally.

You're looking at a good $1000 to put new tires and do the Sol C and then pray that the idiots who had it didn't do more damage to the car by driving it like that.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
I really don't know what to think about the transmission. I looked at the case and there is a definite difference between the corrosion on the engine and transmission so I do believe it has been replaced at some time. The car has 103K on it. The 1-2 and 2-3 is very quick (NO lag or flare AT ALL), however, the 3-4 seems odd to me. It does not flare but there is a very slight 1 second pause before it shifts. Also, I have noticed that in town when I have my foot in the gas (~35mph) the RPMs are around say 2500 and I let my foot off the gas they go down to 1600. I have no clue if this is normal or not. The car is still in whatever gear it was in but the RPMs drop down. If I get on the gas again they go back up to 2500 and I gain speed.

I have also noticed that if I drop the car into "3" when it is in 4th the rpms drop to idle speed. If I touch the gas it seems to shift into gear or something like that.

I believe I read that Duty Solenoid C is in the tailshaft housing which is in the rear of the transmission......would this be correct???

Could the Duty Solenoid C malfuction and cause NO RWD at all???

My car has NO RWD, only the front wheels spin. The rear wheels never engage so there are NO problems with it binding on sharp turns. I did finally locate the FWD fuse and there was no fuse in the spot. I installed a 10A fuse and the light never came on the dash.

Anyone have any ideas about my AWD problems???

P.S. The car just had new tires. The old tires were different sized and different brands (according to the dealer print out).
Old 12-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Duty C is in the tailshaft housing also called the transfer housing on the SVX.

If duty C is not working you should have AWD all the time but it may have stuck the other way.

Get all four of the wheels off the ground and see if the tires all spin. When working properly this is what should happen.

Poor snow traction tires will not work good even with AWD in the snow.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:36 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Regarding the Duty Solenoid C, if there's no power going to it, the soleniod fail-safe to 50/50. If the solenoid itself is malfunctioning, I suppose it could cause a permanent 90/10 split.

I'd get someone to diagnose it for sure. But if you want to have the Solenoid C changed, it's 3.5 hours labour + $70USD for parts. Throw in a couple of gaskets for the exhausts, as they will have to detach part of the exhaust to drop the extension case, and I'd factor about $300USD for the job.

My bill came to $5XXCDN (< $375USD) with 7 litres of synthetic. I forgot to tell them I was running synthetics, and the drained it and threw it out. DOH!

VK
Old 12-09-2002, 06:48 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

$$$ Unless you go to an indie shop you'll probably end up paying about $500 for just getting the C changed. The place I took it replaced the rear tranny mount in there as well since they had everything down. My total was $730
Old 12-09-2002, 07:17 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Nope. That was the dealer. Both of my independent mechanics told me that wouldn't dare do the job on the oddball car.

I even got them to not charge me on the 1 hour diagnostic charge too.

Keep in mind that removing the extension case does not require the removal of the transmission, hence the 3.5 hours of labour. A tranny mount would require more work.

VK