Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Dry ice for dents and anger management

I drive my SVX to work only occasionally, park it in the building's lot, and try to park where no one can park next to me. Today, I drove to work so I could wash the SVX at lunch. I had to leave one side exposed so I parked pretty far in- away from the adjacent spot.

It wasn't good enough and someone parked their truck beside my SVX, still with plenty of space. Apparently, they felt the need to open their door all the way, which is what it took, by my measurements, to hit my SVX and leave two visible dents and some of their paint.

I just don't get it. I go to great lengths, even when driving my workhorse daily drivers, to not hit the cars next to me. I just don't get how someone I know couldn't care less. I know, I guess, it's not on their radar: they're oblivious. They had an armload and just flipped the door open and didn't even see a car next to them.

So, I restrained myself from tracking them down in the building or saying anything except to one witness- just in case. I figured that no one would really get it and if I complained no one would be sympathetic and they'd say it's just an old car and you're being a jerk valuing the car so highly. I might have even hurt her feelings if I brought it up. Argh.

So, I remembered something I'd heard about dry ice for dents and want to know if anyone has tried it. It won't take care of the paint deposited on top of mine but it might take care of the dents. I've read up on it and haven't seen anyone say it damages the paint. And, if it fixes the dents (small dings, really), it might keep me from some passive agressive comment to the careless door opener later on. Any experience out there?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Re: Dry ice for dents and anger management

Have you heard the taylor swift song "people throw rocks at things that shine." that goes for cars too.. the harder you try too avoid them, they go out of there way too. i just had some paintless dent repair done to my car 200.00 later they were all gone. that is untill i go to walmart again.

Last edited by kjoyes; 03-01-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM

this also works by using that compressed air for cleaning computers, turn that ish upside down with the straw thing on it and aim it at the center of the dent, after a second move it around the dent epicenter slowly.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM

good investment that i might get is side body mouldings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz_ljWMnp_I

Last edited by kjoyes; 03-01-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Taylor Swift is right.

Watched online videos for dry ice. Tried it and no luck. Over and over. With hair dryer first, without hair dryer. No luck. Tried on my AstroVan, too; nothing. Heard about the can, too. Seems like the same principle as dry ice- extreme cold. I think the dings are too small and deep. Wide and shallow might be easier to pop out.

Maybe paintless dent repair's the way to go.

Side body moldings won't be good enough in pickup truck-ville. I just need to take a few dings, then blow $6000 on a paint job every few years. Right.

Best to just be as careful as possible and try to laugh it off when we lose. "I guess God just doesn't want me to have anything nice." LOL
Old 03-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Door dingers are the scum of the earth.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 AM

Registered SVX

We had a moonlighting dent doctor show up at a Subi rally last year. He was charging $ 7.00 for a ding and up to $150 for dents. I saw him take a crease( looked like someone bumped into the front fender with something big) when he was done it was hardly noticeable. I was in line but he ran out of time. Some of the dents took a lot of time. He took 7 dings out of one guys door in 15 min. Hope he shows up this year. A lot of those guys moonlight. You got to catch them working or talk to a local car dealer and get their name. If the dealer will tell you the days they come buy, you can nab them in the parking lot.
Don't believe everything you see or hear on the Internet, most is a lie.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 AM

Registered SVX

They make magnetic side molding. You place it on your car when you park and remove it when you leave.