How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 AM

Where has my oil gone ?

Engine made an odd sound today.
Selected 3rd to overtake someone going up a hill.
Kept on going, forgot it was in third and possibly revved to about 6000 rpm.
Certainly doing less than 130 km/h (that's about 80 mph).
Heard an odd sound (very hard to describe), saw I was still in 3rd, selected drive immediately.

Noticed engine made a quiet knocking sound when revved.
Drove 5km home.
Engine made knocking sound when revved a little.

Turned it off, walked away.
Came back 3 hours later.
Engine still warm.
Checked engine oil, nothing on the dip stick.
Odd, engine oil was changed by the dealer about 5000km ago. (I'm a lazy sod and don't check oil levels as frequently as I should, valuable lesson just learned).
Tipped 2 litres of oil in (about 1/2 gallon), still nothing on the dip stick.

No oil on the ground, no sign of oil splatter under the car.

Should I keep tipping oil in the top until it shows correct level on dip stick or is it vanishing somewhere ?

This sounds like a disaster, but the one consolation is that I have parts car with approx 160,000km use. The car I'm driving has done 340,000km

cheers, Shane
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Where has my oil gone ?

I'd start from scratch, do a full oil change. If you had your oil done at a dealership you may have a dipstick from another subaru. Stranger things have happened

p.s. a warm engine will read lower on the dipstick. Get a reading on it while it's been sitting for a few hours.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM

Did you check the level after the last oil change? It's possible the crankcase wasn't properly refilled by the dealership.

dcb
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I'd start from scratch, do a full oil change. If you had your oil done at a dealership you may have a dipstick from another subaru. Stranger things have happened

p.s. a warm engine will read lower on the dipstick. Get a reading on it while it's been sitting for a few hours.
It will only read slightly lower from the oil circulating through the system, only about a half quart at most though. And he said he checked it after a few hours. Even if still warm, it's long enough for it to be sitting.

That being said, the engines and cars are aging. It's not at all uncommon for it to be lost through the pcv system, seeping out of seals, etc. And all the while never leave a noticeable mark. Keep adding oil until it is near the full mark, and start it up and see how it runs. It will likely have some valvetrain noise. That may never go away now, and won't be cause for alarm/damage, just an annoyance possible. The biggest fear is if you starved the bearings at all.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Last night I kept tipping oil in until it reached the mid point on the dip stick (between the two notches).
This morning the oil was still there and not on the floor.
Started it just now and it sounds fine.
Looks like I haven't ruined the engine.
Will go for a drive later today.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Registered SVX

Keep the Revs down for the 1st 50 or 60 miles. Let the oil work through the engine.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM

Drove about 20km down the road and I can hear a knocking sound above 3000 rpm. So drove it home slowly (<1500 rpm) and am assessing options.

Given that I put 4 litres of oil into it (it holds 6 litres) then it was extremely low. And it could have been like that for a while (I just completed a 350km trip on the day I first noticed it).

At the moment I'm guessing I've ruined something and am looking at options for swapping the engine from my parts car into this car.

This one has 343,000km on it, the parts engine has 167,000, so a much younger engine anyway.

Any tips for what I should be checking/replacing on the replacement engine before it is fitted would be welcome.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It wouldn't hurt to do a full reseal including head gaskets (and don't forget the head bolts as well) while it's out. Getting parts from here in the states and having them shipped over will still end up cheaper than getting the parts from Subaru dealers there.

At the very least, rear main seal, rear separator plate, all vacuum lines under the intake manifold, I'd strongly suggest valve cover gaskets and spark plugs, and possibly do the front end service right away as well. (though this last one is still easy enough to do with it in the car.)

Edit: Have you ever had or can you get the current parts engine running before pulling it? Make sure there are no odd noises, etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Parts engine is in a car. I'd better hook up the exhaust again. Rear diff is out so I can't drive it, but can certainly get it running.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's going to be pricey, but at least I know it will last a long time.
Is anyone interested in shopping for these parts on my behalf and shipping to me in return for a handling fee ?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Good news. Found a trusted mechanic who does 'homers'.
Says he will swap engines for about $NZ500
+ parts + extra labour for replacing parts.

Now I just need to start parts shopping.

Has anyone dealt with any of these suppliers ?
Good or bad history ?

Any suggestions for parts sources :
https://www.subaruonlineparts.com
http://www.subarupartsforyou.com
http://www.subarupartsamerica.com

Any other suggestions ?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Haven't Dealt with any of those but subaruparts.com have always worked well for me. There may even be a coupon floating around here as well.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 PM

Registered SVX

You should put Lucas oil stabilizer in it and give it a few hundred miles. It made my lifter tick go away from running on bad oil.
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Has anyone here used www.partstrain.com ?
They seem to have the parts I need, useful online chat help and will ship international.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 AM

hey guys, didn't it turn on the oil pressure light if it would run out of oil? I mean, if the oil pressure light did not illuminate, then the engine has never run without oil...
Another thing: do you know a replacement for Duralube SR3? Or milikote? I cant find any metal conditioner in the market latelly.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM

I grilled my mechanic about that.
He explained that if the oil had run out and the oil pump was gulping air then the system is still pressurised and so the gauge indicates correct pressure.

I asked about what other gauges/gadgets I could fit to give me some proper warning next time. Apparently the answer is "nothing" unless I want to spend a heap of money on an oil level measurement system like they fit in racing cars.

If anyone else has some better ideas I'd love to hear from you.