How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 AM

Registered SVX
Totaled (but barely) 97 LSI : (

Hello, I regret to tell you that I was rear ended at the end of Oct. It's been determined a total loss because my airbags deployed and my windsheild broke.
I'll keep you guys posted as to what salvage yard it ends up in. The body really almost dosn't look like it's been in an accident. It needs new airbags and a windshield. Other than that it's all in good working order. Stupid hood rats in crown vics...
Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Totaled (but barely) 97 LSI : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
Hello, I regret to tell you that I was rear ended at the end of Oct. It's been determined a total loss because my airbags deployed and my windsheild broke.
I'll keep you guys posted as to what salvage yard it ends up in. The body really almost dosn't look like it's been in an accident. It needs new airbags and a windshield. Other than that it's all in good working order. Stupid hood rats in crown vics...
It can be fixed, windshield and others. Depends on how much you want to invest into to.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Go on - if it is that good, why not "buy back" ?????
Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

^ What he said...
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Registered SVX

Some states are easier to re register a totaled car.. When my wife totaled out our 2004 Acura TL , the body man I talked to about buying it back said that in Conn. the car would go through a compleat nut and bolt inspection. If they find one thing not perfect ( even if it was not accident related ) you have to take it back and fix it to spec. He talked me out of it. Told me he would not take on the job if I decided to do it. He has been in business for 30 years.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM

Rear- ended and deployed the airbags and broke the windshield? Did you get pushed into the back of another car or something?

In Utah there's nothing special required to re-register a totaled car at all. My '97 Legacy GT wagon was T-boned on the passenger side last summer and the insurance company totaled it out. I bought it back, put a couple of doors on it that *sort of* work (even though the B-pillar is pushed in a few inches and the rear door jamb and quarter panel is tweaked), had a standard safety inspection, and I drive it to this day. The State made me sign a form to apply for a new branded (salvage) title, but there was no inspection of the repairs beyond the standard safety inspection. (I did get an estimate to have it repaired properly and found the cost to be excessive in relation to the value of the car, so I just did the best I could with it.)

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Rear- ended and deployed the airbags and broke the windshield? Did you get pushed into the back of another car or something?

In Utah there's nothing special required to re-register a totaled car at all. My '97 Legacy GT wagon was T-boned on the passenger side last summer and the insurance company totaled it out. I bought it back, put a couple of doors on it that *sort of* work (even though the B-pillar is pushed in a few inches and the rear door jamb and quarter panel is tweaked), had a standard safety inspection, and I drive it to this day. The State made me sign a form to apply for a new branded (salvage) title, but there was no inspection of the repairs beyond the standard safety inspection. (I did get an estimate to have it repaired properly and found the cost to be excessive in relation to the value of the car, so I just did the best I could with it.)
every state is different. I used to live in North Dakota and I bought a 96 honda civic that had a salvage title, it had hail dents all over the top, and even some on the sides. the pillars had dents that im sure could not be fixed easily so the insurance called it totaled.
So I bought the car and the title has a disclaimer on it that says previously salvaged and that is the extent of it.
Fl makes you pay more and jump through some hoops I sold the car.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Some states are easier to re register a totaled car.. When my wife totaled out our 2004 Acura TL , the body man I talked to about buying it back said that in Conn. the car would go through a compleat nut and bolt inspection. If they find one thing not perfect ( even if it was not accident related ) you have to take it back and fix it to spec. He talked me out of it. Told me he would not take on the job if I decided to do it. He has been in business for 30 years.
It works the same way in Pennsylvania. They call it an "OEM Inspection" because the car must be exactly as it left the factory. I owned a Saab that had a salvage title, and I had to go through this inspection with it. It failed the first time around because the battery fitted to it wasn't the exact model of battery that the car came with from the factory, even though it fit properly and was completely secured with the correct mounting hardware.
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Registered SVX
Cool Re: Totaled (but barely) 97 LSI : (

I'd love to buy it back and fix it up. However given the type of coverage i'd be able to have with a branded title. It would be putting all of my eggs in one fragile basket. I just can't afford it... I'll let you guy know what yard it ends up in. Someone else with deeper pockets might want to buy and fix it.