How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM

'94 SVX eats batteries

Hi,

I've not been around in a while, so I am a bit out of touch, but I've encountered some issues that nobody else can seem to resolve for me.

Back in 2008 I bought a '94 SVX (LSI I believe), fixed its only two problems (loose windshield washer hose under hood, junk stereo) including a decent JVC DVD/CD receiver and modern speakers, remote starter and alarm system. This worked great for a couple of years and I could park it at the airport in the middle of winter with the alarm on through 8-10" of snow for two weeks no problem, never failed to start. Just before I moved across Canada, the brakes started to seize.

In 2010 I put it up on a trailer and dragged it across Canada, then drove it straight to a shop to have the brakes checked. After two shops it finally came down to aged brake hoses breaking off pieces in the line and choking the brakes. After fixing that and an engine mount issue due to the crappy road conditions in my former home, this new problem started.

No matter what I do, including leaving the alarm system off, unplugging my iPod from the stereo, etc. the battery drains completely dry while sitting. Even a brand new, fully charged battery will be killed in a matter of days (if that) unless I disconnect the terminals. The car runs perfectly otherwise, but there's nobody around here who has a clue why the battery is being drained. I don't know if it's because of the cross-country drag, or something the last mechanic or two did, or something completely unrelated. I know it's not the stereo/alarm because it worked fine for 2+ years even leaving it parked with the alarm on. The car runs beautifully once I jump-start it, but I can't exactly rely on being able to get a jump every time I want to start the car, can I?

Is there anything common I could check? Is this something that happens often to SVX'es, or rarely if at all? There is no Subaru dealer here, but I can get to one an hour or so away if I have to. They have no techs who have ever worked on an SVX before; however, then neither did the Subaru dealer where I used to live and they still took good care of my baby.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: '94 SVX eats batteries

You probably have a parasitic draw of current when the car is off. Could be something simple, like a trunk light which doesn't go out anymore.

For information on how to diagnose a parasitic drain on your electrical system, check HERE and HERE

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-06-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 AM

Registered SVX

That is excellent. Brought up a lot of great points. This should be in the ref library.sticky

Last edited by Conn SVX; 12-06-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

My problem was the trunk light. I finally found it one day when I put skis in the trunk with the seat folded down. Another common one is a short in the little wires where they run into the courtesy lights on the visors.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
My problem was the trunk light. I finally found it one day when I put skis in the trunk with the seat folded down. Another common one is a short in the little wires where they run into the courtesy lights on the visors.
I occasionally fold my rear seat down while it's in the garage to check this very thing; takes 10 seconds.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I occasionally fold my rear seat down while it's in the garage to check this very thing; takes 10 seconds.
I do the same thing with my refrigerator. Though it doesn't matter how fast I open the door, I can never tell if the light is actually turning off.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Might try putting a turkey in it, close the door for a few seconds, open it and see if the turkey has gone to sleep?

Keith
Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I just spent about an hour looking for the cartoon of the penguin who lived in the freezer and shut the light off when you close the door. I think it was about future homes, loony tunes. Anywho, I had the same problem, it was the cigarette lighter.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Bingo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5ONdVf7aU

4:45

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I also had this problem (short in the visor lights).

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks, I'll be having a look at that when I get back on my feet (down with the flu today). LOL'ed at the video, michael