How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX
Narrow down all these opinions for me...

Okay, I've been doing hours of research on these forums with no concise results. Everyone seems to have a different, entirely right opinion on the same thing. Please continue reading after looking at this picture (not my car):

*The colored dots are all hoses, and the thick (orange and black) arrows are pointing to the nipples. The teal and pink arrows are pointing to the rubber hoses, NOT the lines, meaning taking the hose off of the line completely.*

I'm just going to reiterate everything here in case someone didn't see it on other threads, because I really want to get to the bottom of this. I have a '92 with no modifications other than a transmission cooler and some audio stuff. My car runs absolutely perfect. Idles as smooth as butter at ~650rpm, has stalled only once in my three years of owning it, I think the TPS needs to be adjusted, blah blah blah. I have a check engine light. It is for the EGR. My year SVX only has that one sensor, code 34 I think it is, just showing that the EGR is dirty. I have a bottle of seafoam, as a friend and some other random sources said that it couldn't possibly hurt to try. After a bunch of research, I found out that the vacuum line I wanted to put seafoam into would be BLUE dot. To be more specific, NOT the nipple, but the hose. Unplug the hose from the nipple (black arrow), cover the nipple, and stick the hose in the seafoam. I used a clear shot glass full of seafoam as to not flood the engine. Getting the engine to it's ideal operating temperature, I stuck the hose into the seafoam. Nothing. Didn't suck, didn't blow, nothing. The nipple wasn't doing anything either. Turned the car off. Waited a little, as Icingdeath told me that there is possibly a solenoid that hinders vacuum flow through that line, and tried again. Still, nothing. Frustrated, I did some more forum searching, and tried the RED dot. Took the hose out, stuck it in the shot glass, and covered the nipple as before. Nothing. BUT THEN, it started, very very slowly to suck in the seafoam. Then I took it out of the glass, and it started to spit a little bit of it back, and was blowing a very small amount of air. I tried to duplicate this, and it didn't do anything the next time I tried it. The nipple (orange arrow) on the passenger side of the car seemed to have a bit of suction to it when the hose was sucking the seafoam, but not very much. I proceeded to put the shot glass up to the nipple, and it sucked some of it in [all this time, less than 1oz of seafoam total was in the car's vacuum system]. Knowing that this worked, I took off a small amount of hose from my windshield washer line and put it onto the (black arrow) driver side nipple. It started sucking in the seafoam, and I proceeded to put about a fourth of the can into it, then shut the car off immediately. 10 minutes later, Started it back up, and it smoked for about 3 seconds, then nothing. Didn't have a hard time running or anything.

Did I do this right...?

SO many people say put it in the blue dot. NO, THE GREEN ONE. no the YELLOW ONE. etc. etc.. etc...

Which hose do I use?

The blue one had no suction at all. The red one had a little. I didn't try the green or yellow ones. Some people said to use the teal or pink arrow lines, which would in turn lead back to either nipple.

Again, I'm not entirely interested in cleaning out the throttle body. I would just really like for the seafoam to pass the EGR and attempt to clean it out.

The other thing, it could be a coincidence or not, but because my EGR is bad, it throws a CEL. The CEL only comes on when the engine is warm. I've never turned the car on in the morning for the first time that day and got a light. If it's cold enough out and I let the car sit, the light won't show up either. If I go into walmart for 30 minutes and come back, boom, CEL on. Now, I went to park the car tonight after unsuccessfully seafoaming it, and turned it off. Turned it back on: no CEL. Off... on: no CEL, still. And then one more time. No CEL. It might just be a coincidence, but I'm not sure.

Can someone please tell me where to put it? Everyone has a different opinion. I want to hear them though. Please describe which hose/nipple with the colors in my photo so I (and others in the future) can know which line you're talking about.

As far as I know from what people have said here, the brake booster line (not pictured) is a no-go, since it only goes to one cylinder and can flood it. The blue dot hose should pass by the EGR. The red one goes to the engine, but not the EGR. The orange and black arrow nipples (pink and teal arrows, also) go into the throttle body. The yellow dot goes into the engine and is a good one, but doesn't touch the EGR. The green one is bad and can flood the engine by sucking up a lot of fluid. The white dotted ones in the back can also be used, but I'm not sure what for. I want any help I can get. Help me seafoam my car, but through the EGR.

[/retardedly wordy description]
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Narrow down all these opinions for me...

I guess I've been doing it wrong - I would put it in the blue dot but into the nipple - not the hose - so that it would get sucked into the throttle body.

Of course, the last time I did it with one of those 3M complete engine cleaning kits I loosened both of the big hose clamps holding the snorkel onto the throttle body and slipped a small hose into each and let it suck in.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 12-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Ok, I just realized I made a mistake. The blue dot hose is where the solenoid gets vacuum from, so if you disconnect it, there won't be any vacuum to pull the seafoam through the solenoid. You need to disconnect it from the other side of the solenoid and run the seafoam through it on that side. Have a look at this vacuum diagram (it's for an OBD2 car, but the EGR part of it should be the same) and see if you can find the line on the other side of the solenoid:

Whether it will have enough vacuum to flow the seafoam with the EGR solenoid closed it another question, but we can force the solenoid to open if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vacuum System.jpg (44.6 KB, 1752 views)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

So Icing, are you saying to feed the seafoam into the orange arrow nipple and let that suck it in? I did about half a shot (0.7oz) into that nipple, and it sucked it in, but I didn't know if I should keep going or not. I still have most of the seafoam left. I'll try it there if that's what you're saying. That passenger side line definitely goes through the EGR valve and it looks like it would then pass through the EGR solenoid too. Are you saying it might not reach the solenoid?
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Maybe I have this wrong, but you are trying to fix a code 34. This is due to the passage from the EGR to the inlet manifold being blocked with carbon. Running Seafoam through the EGR vacuum lines won't do it, it won't get to this passage.
You need to clean the gas passage that runs from the EGR, through the manifold. If you can feed the Seafoam into the passage where the temp sensor is, there maybe enough vacuum to pull it through to the inlet.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Maybe I have this wrong, but you are trying to fix a code 34. This is due to the passage from the EGR to the inlet manifold being blocked with carbon. Running Seafoam through the EGR vacuum lines won't do it, it won't get to this passage.
You need to clean the gas passage that runs from the EGR, through the manifold. If you can feed the Seafoam into the passage where the temp sensor is, there maybe enough vacuum to pull it through to the inlet.
The code 34 I think is just for the solenoid function, and would not be due to the intake manifold line being blocked. (Not 100% sure, I must confess). It's a 92, which lacks a temp sensor at the intake manifold's EGR port, so I don't think that the code would be due to that. Code 56 in the later cars I think would be due to that.

Although that passage probably is clogged, we're not too worried about the EGR actually working, only getting rid of the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
So Icing, are you saying to feed the seafoam into the orange arrow nipple and let that suck it in? I did about half a shot (0.7oz) into that nipple, and it sucked it in, but I didn't know if I should keep going or not. I still have most of the seafoam left. I'll try it there if that's what you're saying. That passenger side line definitely goes through the EGR valve and it looks like it would then pass through the EGR solenoid too. Are you saying it might not reach the solenoid?
No, I'm suggesting to feed the seafoam through the line that goes from # 11 to #13 in the diagram I posted, if you can actually get to it in the car. The orange arrow I'm not altogether sure what that would hit, the route is a bit more complicated.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88

No, I'm suggesting to feed the seafoam through the line that goes from # 11 to #13 in the diagram I posted, if you can actually get to it in the car. The orange arrow I'm not altogether sure what that would hit, the route is a bit more complicated.
So what we want the seafoam to go through then is the EGR valve, #13 in the diagram? Would I just take off the rubber hose at the EGR control solenoid and put into that hose? Also, if I just decide to screw the EGR thing altogether, where is the best place to put seafoam into? I read about putting an accessory hose onto the yellow dot and pouring it into there
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
So what we want the seafoam to go through then is the EGR valve, #13 in the diagram? Would I just take off the rubber hose at the EGR control solenoid and put into that hose?
You'd disconnect the hose at #13, so that the seafoam will flow through #11, then through the blue dot hose, into the intake to be burnt. But I am not near the car right now to see if that's physically possible.

Quote:
Also, if I just decide to screw the EGR thing altogether, where is the best place to put seafoam into? I read about putting an accessory hose onto the yellow dot and pouring it into there
I would go with the big giant hose that goes through the IACV, to clean that out. It's underneath the black intake tube, and the IACV is one of the most important parts of the intake. Other than that, whichever hose seems easiest to you. The yellow dot hose would be pretty easy, especially if you do have some extra hose the right size.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post

Harvey.
Harvey,
Any chance it could be snaked out with something, may be a guitar string or is it just inaccessible?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 12-03-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88

I would go with the big giant hose that goes through the IACV, to clean that out. It's underneath the black intake tube, and the IACV is one of the most important parts of the intake.
Do you have a picture of this specific line? Or it it visible in my picture? The problem is I have read about the IACV line a dozen times but no one has a picture of it, just a general description.
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Do you have a picture of this specific line? Or it it visible in my picture? The problem is I have read about the IACV line a dozen times but no one has a picture of it, just a general description.
It's usually not visible in pictures, because it's underneath the throttle bodies. I'll get some pics for you here in a few minutes.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Registered SVX

here is a general image
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Registered SVX

I found one of my pics that has it shown very clearly

Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM

Registered SVX

^ Yea, the above pic is from the passenger side. Here's one from the other side. The IACV line is the big vac line with the zip tie on it in this pic (yours shouldn't have a zip tie ). The car [i]will[/] die if you unhook this line from the intake while it's idling. I think it would be best to undo the line while the car's off, then pour a bit of seafoam in the line, start it up, wait for what you put in the line to clear, then repeat until it seems like enough. Undo the line where it's shown connecting to the intake in 92svx's pic.

Here's a pic of the vac line that goes to the EGR solenoid from the other side. (Although the car is a 94, the engine is a 92, so it should be exactly the same.) It is the topmost line of several that are kind of stacked right here. I don't think you can get the other end of this hose off very easily, but you should be able to get this end off, and the put a spare line on the hard line instead. Hopefully it has some vacuum, if not when cold, then perhaps when hot. Otherwise we can try tricking the solenoid into opening if you want.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg egr sol line.jpg (102.8 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0365.jpg (62.8 KB, 697 views)

Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Harvey,
Any chance it could be snaked out with something, may be a guitar string or is it just inaccessible?
Sean I remember some one doing this a while ago, can't remember who though. He cleaned the passage with a wire, poking it through from both ends to clean it out.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.