How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX
Question CEL and white smoke from engine bay (unrelated probably?)

So I've had the engine smoke for over a week now, and the CEL since I bought the car a month ago.

The CEL would only come on during idle, and I thought it was because of my misfire from my bad coil. I changed the coil but it still persists.

The engine smoke (white and smells like oil) started up right after I swapped coils to see if the coil was the problem for my misfire. I assumed that having a working coil on a side that probably hadn't fired in a long time caused the original factory valve cover gasket to finally go, so I changed those out over the past 2 days.

Driving today, I noticed that the CEL now stays on all the time, and I still have the engine smoke.

I made sure to retighten everything, all the electricals are connected, and I replaced my spark plugs with nice NGK iridiums and changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w30 with a Mobil 1 filter.
However, while bolting the engine mounts back to the crossmember, I noticed a metal line behind it with a drop of ATF dangling from it. I've been checking the ATF for the power steering ever since I replaced the pump, and it's remained consistent.

Here's what I think the problems are:
  • I somehow damaged the cam sensor connector while taking off the driver's side valve cover.
  • There is a tiny leak in the power steering that's dripping onto my hot exhaust pipes; perhaps a hose clamp that needs to be tightened?

I figure I can just buy one of those OBD1 to USB plugs to figure out the first, but the engine smoke is really bugging me.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: CEL and white smoke from engine bay (unrelated probably?)

Details here on how to get your code without any additional hardware: <linky>

That'll help with diagnosis a lot!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

^ What this guy said. Just checking ECU codes is extremely easy on the OBD1 SVXes. The USB adapters discussed in the other threads are for monitoring/datalogging while the car is running to get other info. Checking codes is done easily with no tools at all.

If you really messed up the cam sensor plug, I was able to source a new connector kit from here: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1718

If you want a pigtail instead, it's here: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1719

Double check that the plug looks exactly the same, since I ordered 2 different ones (crank sensor 1 and cam sensor) and I'm only 95% sure that's the one for the cam sensor. They are slightly different.

Power steering and also the trans cooler lines are likely culprits for the smoke, since either can get onto the exhaust. Which side of the engine bay did it come from? The trans ATF lines are on the driver's side and the PS lines are on the pass. side.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Details here on how to get your code without any additional hardware: <linky>

That'll help with diagnosis a lot!
Ahh, thank you! That's awesome that I don't need an OBD1 scanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Power steering and also the trans cooler lines are likely culprits for the smoke, since either can get onto the exhaust. Which side of the engine bay did it come from? The trans ATF lines are on the driver's side and the PS lines are on the pass. side.
It's coming from the passenger side, and to me it smells more like oil than ATF since I got very accustomed to the smell of ATF with my bad PS pump. But hey, I'm still young and learning, so I might be wrong. (I've also never owned an automatic before so I'm not used to ATF and all it's properties)

That makes sense though. I initially thought it was the valve cover gasket on that side since cylinder #4 had probably been misfiring for a long time before I replaced the coil.
My brother-in-law is a mechanic at a dealership, so I'll probably ask if I can use a lift to inspect my undercarriage tomorrow (and to check my warped rotors and possibly unbalanced tires >.> ).

Btw, I noticed while changing my LH valve cover gaskets that there was some type of filter connected to the trans cooler lines. What kind of filter is it? It looks similar to a fuel filter.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Registered SVX

So I inspected everything under my car and tightened a couple of loose hose clamps on power steering lines, but the smoke still persists.

Any ideas as to what could be leaking?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
Any ideas as to what could be leaking?
Without eyes on it to actually see for ourselves, not really. :/ Just keep looking around as best you can. Clean/wipe off any oil under there so you can get a better view also.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Without eyes on it to actually see for ourselves, not really. :/ Just keep looking around as best you can. Clean/wipe off any oil under there so you can get a better view also.
I'll take a couple of pictures next time I'm under.
I was just wondering if there are any definite things in the PS system that are known to leak.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Yours is a '92, right? The filter attached to your trans. lines was a factory band-aid fix for problems with the early SVX transmissions. Most SVX owners believe it doesn't do much good.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Yours is a '92, right? The filter attached to your trans. lines was a factory band-aid fix for problems with the early SVX transmissions. Most SVX owners believe it doesn't do much good.
Yes, I have one of those filters, but the smoke is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay where all the PS lines are.