Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX
Re: Misfire and TPS adjustment issues

Update: I pulled the intake manifold off to begin replacing all of the vacuum lines. They are all very hard and brittle and I found a few cracks in some of them, but that may have been from removing the manifold. After seeing the condition of these hoses I am pretty confident this is my issue. I also replaced the PCV valve and will be replacing a few other things while I'm in there.

Unfortunately I broke one of the plastic nipples on the black plastic "mystery box" while removing a vacuum hose. At nearly $60 I think I'll just repair mine...but I will need to order a new IRIS check valve as that has a crack in it...

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
Checked it again this morning, moving it very, very slowly. It starts around 5.80, and when rotating it, it will reach about 5.4 ohms and then jump back up to 5.9, to 6.0, to 6.5, to 7.0, to 7.8, to 14+, and then back down to 5.0 and consistently smooth the rest of the rotation down to .05 ohms...

"Well there's yer problem!"
You are not checking the middle wire!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
You are not checking the middle wire!
This was a resistance test with the tps removed from the car, and the replacement one was noticeably smoother in change. It was the original on car adjustment that I tested the wrong wire, because every instruction I found says to test the white wire. As I noted, the colors of my wires don't seem to match everyone else's...

Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Somewhat of a thread hijack: I have the same problems, but I'll be swapping in a manual transmission soon, and from what I've read the TPS is mainly used to determine when the auto shifts. Will I need a new TPS sensor for the car to run well or can I get by with my current one after cleaning and adjustment?
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I would bet you can get by with the one you have, if it's just a little finicky and not completely trashed. TPSes I think tend to develop "dead spots" from being in one position (foot pedal in the same position) for a long time. Like cruising and such, so they might cause issues with an A/T, but not with an M/T, if that's the case.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Finally back at putting this thing back together. I've got all of the lines replaced and the manifold reinstalled. Everything is hooked up except one line that I cannot figure out where to connect it to. It's on the back passenger side of the manifold, and appears to be coming out of the top of the "BPT" according to the under hood vacuum diagram. The diagram looks like it goes to a solenoid that I already have hooked up to other vacuum lines. It's possible that I have some of this routed incorrectly.

This first picture is of the underside of the manifold before I reinstalled it, and the second picture is of the mystery hose that I cannot connect...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1614 (Small).jpg (126.2 KB, 1821 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1618 (Small).jpg (98.5 KB, 1048 views)

Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Registered SVX

in your second pic, that could be the vac for the fuel pressure regulator, however without seeing the other end I dont know, could possibly go to the egr as well but if so it should have a vac nipple under the manifold some.
The nipple right there should be going to the fpr.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

I've got the FPR hooked up... In the second pic, you can see the hose on the right that is connected to the manifold, that one goes to the FPR.

This one looks like it goes under the manifold, but I just cannot see any tubes/nipples to connect it to. I've been looking and feeling around with my hand for a good 45 minutes with no success.

Is there a connection point under the manifold back there that is really difficult to see or feel?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I've got the FPR hooked up... In the second pic, you can see the hose on the right that is connected to the manifold, that one goes to the FPR.

This one looks like it goes under the manifold, but I just cannot see any tubes/nipples to connect it to. I've been looking and feeling around with my hand for a good 45 minutes with no success.

Is there a connection point under the manifold back there that is really difficult to see or feel?
in that corner I can only think of a few things, the egr is there, it connects to one of 2 steel lines that slightly stick out from the manifold in that corner.
Then there is the egr solenoid that is the box with 2 nipples in that corner and finally the fpr.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
in that corner I can only think of a few things, the egr is there, it connects to one of 2 steel lines that slightly stick out from the manifold in that corner.
Then there is the egr solenoid that is the box with 2 nipples in that corner and finally the fpr.
It's a 97, so it will be different from what you're familiar with.

Coan, have a look at this vac diagram, if you haven't seen it before. It's for a 97:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vacuum System.jpg (81.5 KB, 5072 views)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
It's a 97, so it will be different from what you're familiar with.

Coan, have a look at this vac diagram, if you haven't seen it before. It's for a 97:
Thanks, I saw that posted in some old threads but the links were all broken. I believe it's the hose connected to the left side of #14 in that diagram...looks like it should go to the egr control solenoid valve, but I've already got that connected to a metal line that is right next to it. I think I've got it hooked up wrong. It's the solenoid on the top right of my first picture, you can see I have it hooked up to two metal lines right above it. I guess I need to go check over what I've already routed...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Upon closer inspection, I've noticed a broken nipple on the BPT. I believe the mystery hose routes to the egr solenoid control valve, and this broken nipple routes to the hard line that goes to the throttle body.

What really confuses me is that this hard line is pointing toward the front of the car, away from the BPT. The line will need to make a complete 180 under the manifold to connect, thus my hesitation and doubt to route it that way...

Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

I got it all figured out and reinstalled. Everything is routed properly according to that diagram above. There is a metal line under the manifold that points to the front of the car which is supposed to be hooked up to a hose that routes to the BPT (located at the back of the engine bay). This requires a sharp 180 degree bend with the vacuum hose. I assume that the routing changed in later year cars and they didn't spend the extra time/money to redesign the metal line to point the correct direction...

I've now replaced every vacuum line and cleaned out both IAC valves. It still has a high idle (~1300 rpm when warm, ~1700 cold) and a slight stumble at low rpm when accelerating from a stop. I took it out for a 15 minute drive just now and it got a little better the more I drove. By the time I got back, the idle would bounce from ~800 to ~1300 when in neutral. It's pretty much exactly how it was when I started.

Tomorrow I will pick up a new coolant temp sensor. After that, I'm out of ideas...

Last edited by Coan; 12-17-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
I got it all figured out and reinstalled. Everything is routed properly according to that diagram above. There is a metal line under the manifold that points to the front of the car which is supposed to be hooked up to a hose that routes to the BPT (located at the back of the engine bay). This requires a sharp 180 degree bend with the vacuum hose. I assume that the routing changed in later year cars and they didn't spend the extra time/money to redesign the metal line to point the correct direction...

I've now replaced every vacuum line and cleaned out both IAC valves.
It still has a high idle (~1300 rpm when warm, ~1700 cold) and a slight stumble at low rpm when accelerating from a stop. I took it out for a 15 minute drive just now and it got a little better the more I drove. By the time I got back, the idle would bounce from ~800 to ~1300 when in neutral. It's pretty much exactly how it was when I started.
Tomorrow I will pick up a new coolant temp sensor. After that, I'm out of ideas...
Try pinching the (1/2" inside diameter) hose,
that goes from the drivers side throttle body,
to the IAC, closed.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Try pinching the (1/2" inside diameter) hose,
that goes from the drivers side throttle body,
to the IAC, closed.
Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow.

Last edited by Coan; 12-17-2012 at 01:53 AM.