Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Rough Idle

Hello. Well since it's gettin a little colder out my car is suddenly started idling rough on me. First of all I've been searching around thread and really haven't found anything that sounded like my predicament and nothing really adds up.

But the first couple of days after 80 to 70 degree weather turned into 50-40 degrees my car really didn't show any signs of anything abnormal. but just a week ago my idle began to surge and was at about 250-500 RPM and sounds to be miss firing a little because the car seemed to vibrate a little more than usual.

The car is NOT throwing any CEL codes. So the first thing i did was to check my TPS adjustment and that was a little low sitting at .380, so i readjusted to .5 volts while the engine was at operating temp (unsure if needed to do it when engine cold or warm). Also take into consideration that i have been checking the voltage for a while seeing that i had done an engine reseal about 2000 miles ago. Unless i didn't tighten the screws very tight or i have suspicion that the TPS could be going.

I have doubts that i have vacuum leaks seeing as i replace what could have been 20 year old lines. In addition i also replace PCV and i do get a sound when i rev the engine to what sound like the valve sputtering as i let of the throttle.

Earlier today I had unplugged the coils one by one on the passenger side to see if coils were bad and i got a reaction each time, although i had not check the driver side. And i plan on pulling out the spark pugs to see if there is anything abnormal there.

But besides all of this, I dont know what to next. I feel like an idiot because i can rebuild a tranny and reseal the engine but cant diagnose this problem.

So any help is greatly appreciated in advance and id like to here what you guys have to say with any greater knowledge that you may have to help me figure this out.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Re: Rough Idle

Today was 70 degrees and the idle was sitting at 500 rpm and didnt sound abnormal today
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

When is surges is it in park? does it go away with a little load on the motor as in turning the heat on?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 AM

Well it surging while in park and gear but in park its trying to find the idle the it just keeps raising. But i did give the coil packs another look. The first time i could tell the difference in firing when unplugging the coils and then i checked them out again tonight and the idle doesnt change when unplugging the cylinder to closest to the firewall on the passenger side. So I think I may have found the problem.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM

No not at all no difference... But i swapped the coils out and it didnt make a difference and now the car seems to be driving worse. I also did a cylinder compression check as well and each cylider was good. But the car seems to have extreme power loss and when i get on it (even when i put it in power mode) to speed up with traffic on the highway, the RPM's only go up to 4,000 and it stays there and doesnt accelerate at all. There is now a loud noise coming from the air box thats sounds almost like it could be exhaust. When inspecting it and revving the engine, i found this quite odd....

I'm really getting frustrated at this point and nothing seem to be adding up to what the problem is....
I might even take a video and post it.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Check your exhaust line. Maybe a blockage or a hole somewhere.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Mine had the same effects (minus the loss of power and noise) without throwing a CEL and it was just my O2 sensors. Maybe you have multiple problems at once, I mean, you do own an SVX.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

When you say there's an exhaust sound coming from the airbox, are you referring to a sound like an air leak? You can try posting a video if you want, it might help.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 10-26-2012, 02:20 PM

no the airbox just growls A LOT more than before i changed the coils. I did just change the MAF sensor ad took it for a drive. It seemed to help a little when accelerating, but the idle and throttle is still very jerky when i come to a stop and go again. And when im driving and mash on the acceleration pedal I only get to about 4,000 RPM before I lose power.