Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
The Molinator

Question Re: Installing Polish bushings .. ?

I decided to set that bushimg aside for now .. the rear trailing arm bushing .. and decided to remove the front lateral arm (inner bolt) .. removing the inside bolt of the front (rt) lateral arm has proven to be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE! And its lowest torque.. 80 ft-lbs! I already removed 100 and 130 ft-lb nuts!!!
After all the previous problems with these bushings.. Now, I can't even remove the bolt no matter what I try! I've never not been able to remove a bolt .. ever in my life! I broke the special breaker bar that I bought from Napa I told you about .. that I used to get out the trailing arm ??? Tried bashing a vice grip with a sledgehammer and that didn't work! Dont wanna take some of the subframe .. or differential support thats in the way of using a socket! Wanna use a nut splitter .. but these nuts and bolts have large flanges on them so it probably wouldn't even release the bite!

YES, I wish I hadn't even started replacing the bushings in the rear!!! I can be VERY persistent.. But this has been a very low reward to effort project!

About to abort .. .

Thanks.. Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 10-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 AM
The Molinator

I decided to set that bushimg aside for now .. the rear trailing arm bushing .. and decided to remove the front lateral arm (inner bolt) .. removing the inside bolt of the front (rt) lateral arm has proven to be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE! And its lowest torque.. 80 ft-lbs! I already removed 100 and 130 ft-lb nuts!!!
After all the previous problems with these bushings.. Now, I can't even remove the bolt no matter what I try! I've never not been able to remove a bolt .. ever in my life! I broke the special breaker bar that I bought from Napa I told you about .. that I used to get out the trailing arm ??? Tried bashing a vice grip with a sledgehammer and that didn't work! Dont wanna take some of the subframe .. or differential support thats in the way of using a socket! Wanna use a nut splitter .. but these nuts and bolts pop have large flanges on them so it probably wouldn't even release the bite!

YES, I wish I hadn't even started replacing the bushings in the rear!!! I can be VERY persistent.. But this has been a very low reward to effort project!

About to abort .. .

Thanks.. Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM
The Molinator

Re: Installing Polish bushings .. ?

Still cant get front lateral arms inside bolts OFF!
Can't get rear bolt on trailing arm OFF! (one side)
Used everything.. PB Blaster, bent tools, EVEN 230 ft-lbs on rear bolt of trailing arm!!!

Tried to order those three (3) bolts on SubaruParts.com .. CANT GET ONLINE!! [CUT THEM OFF WITH CUTOFF TOOL??]
Are they shutdown? Logs me in.. put wont boot catalog???

Do I have to go to Japan to get those bolts!!!???

HELP! Jim
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
Still cant get front lateral arms inside bolts OFF!
Can't get rear bolt on trailing arm OFF! (one side)
Used everything.. PB Blaster, bent tools, EVEN 230 ft-lbs on rear bolt of trailing arm!!!

Tried to order those three (3) bolts on SubaruParts.com .. CANT GET ONLINE!! [CUT THEM OFF WITH CUTOFF TOOL??]
Are they shutdown? Logs me in.. put wont boot catalog???

Do I have to go to Japan to get those bolts!!!???

HELP! Jim
There is a parts diagram here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60770

Just flip through, you'll be able to find the parts numbers you need, and subaruparts.com has an input field for a part number. Some of those bolts must be shared with legacy/impreza, so they should definitely be obtainable.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
The Molinator

I located the bolts by phone at a local Subaru dealer.. Yeah!
Shud be here in 3 days!
I'm gonna grind the bolts off.. if I can.. with a small diameter electric cutoff grinding tool..

Wish me luck.. .

Jim
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM
The Molinator

Feel a little silly basically answering my own post .. BUT .. .

Want to warn the unsuspecting..

If you have the polish bushings (uninstalled).. give them away.. OR better yet .. throw them away!

I just "finished " installing them.. The worst experience working on a vehicle in my limited .. but somewhat involved history .. at least with this car!

Ground three bolts out yesterday.. to find that the bushing set I got contained 2 wrong bushings! Also, the rear trailing arm bushing is contained in a housing which is part of the knuckle.. So, I decided not to do those.. They were likely to require removing the entire knuckle in order to press out the bushings there! So, I left the old stock bushings on the rear of trailing arm.. and on the outer front lateral arms (no bushes!) .. .

YiKeS!

BeWaRe
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

James, the OEM metal bushings need to be removed using what is called as hydraulic press machine. All similar bushings in all cars are done this way. It is not a thing related to "bad" bushings and "throw them away". This machine is always available at local machining shops, you can go there and have them removed in a matter of 2 minutes.

As for the fitment size of the bushings, there might be some discrepancies. Check the last page in the thread "what have you done today in your subaru" in SVX babble. What size bushings you see at the ends of the rear parallel lateral links? My car needs three bushing (6 pieces) of either 271210 or 271149 and one bushing (2 pieces) of 271211 for the rear outer end link per side.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 11-28-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
The Molinator

Angry Re: Installing Polish bushings .. ?

I have a 20 Ton Hydraulic Press like you've shown.. THAT is not a problem.
The problem is finding perfect press tools (jigs) to press that bushing out!
Without hitting the retaining tube of the arm.. or wishbone! [Wishbone setup for press is extremely difficult!]
Maybe the shops often (sometimes?) have an extensive set of those tools.. ??
ON TOP OF THAT.. when I found good press tools (metal tubing segments, sockets, etc).. THE BUSHINGS WOULD JUST NOT EVEN PRESS OUT! I would put almost maximum pressure.. about 10 to 15 tons.. and yet no movement! Once, I put max pressure .. to where I was worried.. I stepped back to ask myself what in the world was going on? .. Only to have the press setup suddenly pop..and make a huge sound.. the press jumps slightly off the ground.. several loose jig tools falling off the press table surface.. and the bushing finally moves! [After soaking with WD40 or the other stuff!] TOO SCARY!

I drilled, cut and finally pounded out (hammer/punch) some of those bushings.. as the other member (?) stated earlier.. esp the control arms.. very difficult to support control arm for pressing (bearing separator worked on one only) ..

Thanks.. Jim

P.S. I admit I didn't lay out all the bushings and determine serial numbers (actually the sway bar bushings were the same number.. with slightly different inside diameter holes!??) BUT, it was straight forward to fit front bushings.. and most rear bushings.. The outer front lateral arm bushing was just way too large! The rear trailing arm bushing (which is housed in the knuckle.. and not the trailing arm itself) was probably the right size.. but too risky to try to get out old bushing without having to take entire knuckle out (axle, brakes, springs/struts) - too MUCH!

P.P.S. I haven't driven my SVX yet.. I'm waiting for my partial rebuild used engine from Nate (Head Gasket problem, starting in August) .. .

Last edited by James Scott; 11-28-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Sorry to hear about your issues, I simply went to a machinist who had something like a 40 ton press, and he used sockets one underneath with the same diameter of the outer housing, and the other same diameter of the OEM outer bushing, WD40, and voila it is out no sweat.

Sorry didn't quite understand what you really said about the lateral links. Are yours the same as mine? Three of the same size and one larger?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Front Bushings Installed

Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
The Molinator

Angry Re: Installing Polish bushings .. ?

Yah! Those lateral arms were the easiest to do.. The front control arms were a bear! I got all but the front outer lateral arm bushings (weren't included in KIT.. wrong size!) .. and the rear trailing arm bushings (too difficult to remove/install on knuckle! Left old bushings there..) installed!

I drove car to car wash (HEAD GASKET ISSUE - Still waiting for rebuilt engine from Nate) Seemed to ride well! BUT, still made front creaking noise I've outlined here months ago.. Ha! After I get (???) rebuilt engine from Nate, I can drive and analyze more.. .

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM
The Molinator

Drove my SVX .. with old engine.. (waiting for Nate's partial rebuild engine from Penn!) .. to the car wash. Hard to evaluate fully .. since the engine would stop for no reason (revisiting old problem, I guess.. Hmmm?) while driving on freeway.. Ha!

BUT.. I was surprised with two things..
1. The YELLOW bushings seemed FINE (expected too stiff)!
2. I liked driving my SVX .. BETTER than my new (10/24/12) Veloster!!!

Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 01-09-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: cuzimstupidiguess
Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 PM
The Molinator

Finally got the SVX running with the "new" engine.. I just wanted to reiterate that in the final analysis .. I personally love the ride with all Yellow Poly bushings! Stiff.. yet "soft" ride.. Mmmmmmm!

Jim