How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
The Molinator

Re: Installing Polish bushings .. ?

NO.. the pic shows new (stronger.. 2.5 instead of 2.0 mm thick) bracket! All four are the same. In fact all four sway bar bushings are the same size.. but rear hole (Hmmm?) .. is 1 mm smaller diameter.

Are your Polish sway bar bushings .. and brackets.. ALL the same size? MINE ARE! Doesn't seem right. OEM rears seem smaller .. and brackets smaller too! Will these larger bushings/brackets work in the rear? [The sway bar wud be in a different position! New front brackets are same size as OEM .. But front sway bar bushings are about 7/16" too long.. .

If I can cut this yellow poly with a jig saw.. I shud be able to do it.. ??

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm not sure about the swaybar bushings, as mine had new OEM front ones, and the rear swaybar is a different one altogether, with its own bushings.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
The Molinator

Put both sets of large Polish poly sway bar bushings in place .. (Installed with new Polish brackets) ??? Had to cut (poly) base of fronts! Definitely larger.. different position in rear! .. ?? [Rears may be loose??]
_
_o)OEM
__
__o)Polish

NOW.. trying to get the other rear lateral arms .. and trailing arms out! They all are 100 to 130 ft-lbs of torque .. but only room for open-end/closed-end wrenches.. ???

HELP!!! .. ???

Got one rear lateral arm out.. about killed myself on the press! .. Broke my vise! This may be my last post.. .

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 10-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Stick with it Jim, you have been through worse.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
The Molinator

Any ideas??? How to loosen 100 to 130+ ft-lbs without room for sockets???

Even the OEM Shop Manual shows wrenches used to remove/tighten bushings???

Yikes! ALso, my press JuMpEd! when the first lateral arm bushing FiNaLlY broke loose!!! I'm a risk taker.. but logic is telling me.. if sumpin' don't give.. I will be a one-eyed dentist.. SoOn!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Registered SVX

Getting the lateral links out was pretty difficult. Me and Chuckls, my two breaker bars, and a long pipe (technically an axe) got it done though. Didn't mess with the bushings that time though, just put on some aftermarket impreza links, that are adjustable length. The trailing arms, what I might do eventually is get a new OEM set that hasn't been sitting on a car for many years, and will be easier to press the bushings out of. No one with a parts car wants to go through the trouble of taking the trailing arms to sell me anyway, lol.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM
The Molinator

SO! ... I'm the only one to install the whole set of Polish yellow polys that I heard about here on a rather long thread? I'm the only one to even try lateral and trailing arms!?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
SO! ... I'm the only one to install the whole set of Polish yellow polys that I heard about here on a rather long thread? I'm the only one to even try lateral and trailing arms!?
Maybe not the only one, but you are the only one to report back about it. I know quite a few other people bought them, and a lot of them only rarely post on the forums, so it's impossible to be sure.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
The Molinator

OK.. But you did the control arms and like them.. right?

I don't see how these work (or will last?) .. cuz they are totally different from OEM bushings! Not just in material.. stiffness, etc. BUT in design! They float in what was the OEM pressed in bushing space! What moves now?? Seems like both the inner metal bushing AND the outside of the poly bushing would have to slide (instead of being held to a certain position by a fused rubber bushing!).. by design. Wondering, first, if it works? Second, if it will last (with the obvious necessary movement) .. ???

Did you grease both the inner metal .. and outer poly surfaces on your control arm bushings?

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 10-09-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Jim, you are a brave man! I am thinking of doing this project myself...the rear bushings that is. What did you use to press out the bushings and how did you stablize/position the links to be pressed out? GL with the rest of your project and definitely let us know how the new suspension bushings perform!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 PM
The Molinator

Broke my large vise! .. trying it .. since the press was scaring me (lotta force.. no movement! Then! BAM! Press Jumps! Things fly.. bushing finally moves.. )YIKES!
Tricky to set up.. socket to press on bushing.. bearing race to support lateral arm (bushing tube) .. .
>[____
____
____|<

____
____|<
>[____

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 10-09-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 PM
The Molinator

Vise.. . :wtf:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VISE-Broke.jpg (81.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Registered SVX

Woah. You are very brave. Be careful. Do you have safety glasses?

I greased all of it, but I am fairly certain that only the inner part slides against each other, just because of how much surface area is in contact.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 PM
The Molinator

Got a new vise..
Got that Trailing arm out using that long tensioner bearing bolt tool (about 18-20" breaker, 3/8 drive) from Napa!
Decided not to break another vise.. $80!
Used scroll saw blade after drilling one spot of rubber with 3/8" drill next to outer metal ring of Bushing.. cut about 2/3 thru outer (1/16") metal..
Smashed metal chisel down that cut groove area (from both sides).. Not able to completely cut outer metal, but bashed the weakened metal near the cut (both sides) toward the center of bearing! (while held in my new vise pipe clamp end) .. Then I merely used a large metal punch.. to hit the outer metal tube (partially cut, bent) .. IT MOVED MUCH EASIER.. COULD BE REMOVED IN THE VISE!

The one I'm worried about now.. is the rear trailing arm bushing in the rear upright! It doesn't come out in the trailing arm.. like the others! Can't hit it on the car.. Don't wanna remove it.. axle/brake/shock-spring, etc. !!! Maybe I can cut the outer bushing metal tube with a sabre saw.. more than the scroll saw.. ??

Thanks, Jim
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Jim, i haven't read the entire thread but have you tried removing the rear suspension bushings with a ball joint press?

I came across this DIY on a related subaru page.

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4567