Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 PM
The Molinator

Question Installing Polish bushings .. ?

Got the Rt front control arm out (doing wheel bearing also).. to start installing my Polish poly bushing set.. I've done a fair amount of press work, but I can't figure out how to get the control arm bushings out?? How to set up the press.. to take them out? Am I missing something obvious? I never had this problem before .. ??

HeLp!?

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Re: Installing Polish bushings .. ?

There is another page somewhere on doing this - anyone else remember?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM

Registered SVX

you can either do it with the press by positioning it over a piece of large diameter pipe with a notch cut into so the control arm can hang while the bushing is under the press or use sockets and some all thread. to do the socket method you need the pull socket to be large enough to grab the bushing but small enough to pass through the hole and the receiver socket to be just large enough that it won't pass through the hole. stick the all thread through both sockets and the bushing, thread nuts with washers behind them until the all thread pulls the smaller socket with the bushing through the hole on the control arm.

was going to do some pics and instructions on this but haven't had time to even check the site for a couple months. hope this helps.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

He and I discussed it over PMs, and he got it figured out. Maybe he took some pics to help the next guy.

The key to using a press is having one of the thingy on the left of this picture:

'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I believe it is called a bearing separator, sold at Harbor freight.

Ray
Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post
I believe it is called a bearing separator, sold at Harbor freight.
I was wondering what they were called for a while now, thanks.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 PM
The Molinator

Cool Re: Installing Polish bushings .. ?

YES.. it IS a bearing separator! Thanks!

NO.. you can't use a pipe on the inside of the control arm bushings.. cuz THE BUSHINGS HAVE FLANGES LARGER THAN THE CONTROL ARM TUBES..

I cud barely get the bearing separator itself to work.. after about an hour of farting around.. I tried taking out one of the bolts so it wud fit (control arm brace where other bolt would have been!).. I'll try to take pics, but not my favorite .. with my greasy hands.. Ha!

Thanks, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ControlArm-IMAG0904-REDUCED.jpg (529.6 KB, 280 views)
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM
The Molinator

180 degree ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ControlArm-IMAG0909-REDUCED.jpg (358.1 KB, 266 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM
The Molinator

I must modify my comments.. since I spent about 6 hrs getting the other 3 bushings out! The other front (large) bushing was bent slightly .. I obviously hit something that bent the front mount bracket, and slightly bent the front of the front bushing tube! (So, I cud not use a round press tool!)

The small ones are much harder to do with the bearing separator! [If even possible??] In the final analysis.. I decided I might have been better .. to use the BURN, DRILL, and CHISEL technique I was laughing at just days before.. Ha!

BeWaRe! Jim
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM

Registered SVX

Yea, I would rate the difficulty of doing this at about a 4/10. Where a 1 is an oil change and a 9 is this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2380691

Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Yea, I would rate the difficulty of doing this at about a 4/10. Where a 1 is an oil change and a 9 is this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2380691
Your scale is slightly skewed as your number 9 would be all but impossible for 85% of the people.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 PM
The Molinator

Yah! .. But I'm .. SeNiLe! .. (Bumps it up .. to an 11!)
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM
The Molinator

Finally got the front wheel bearing done.. so I cud concentrate on the bushings.. Decided to do the sway bar bushings first, cuz I thot they would be easiest.. .

My new yellow Polish poly sway bar bushings don't fit!

Lemme know wat I did wrong .. or wat I gotta do.. ?? I'm either gonna trim the yellows to fit (?) .. or put old red poly sway bar bushings back in (with custom made spacer to fit old Motorsport [too small, and too wide] red poly bushings)..

These seem to be about 3/8" - 7/16" too big.. Not sure I can jig saw.. or cut to shape?? Anyone done THESE??

HeLP!? Thanks, Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 10-04-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM
The Molinator

New POLISH POLY Sway Bar bushing .. TOO BIG! And old red poly bush.. .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YELLswayIMAG0927.jpg (916.8 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg YELLoldSWAYIMAG0925.jpg (792.0 KB, 269 views)
Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
New POLISH POLY Sway Bar bushing .. TOO BIG! And old red poly bush.. .
I never messed with the front sway bar bushings, but I'd just trim them if I were you. That's the original bracket right?