Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM

hard starting when cold

Took my 94 SVX to the local mechanic because the car has developed a problem starting when it has been left in the garage over night. He couldn't diagnosis the problem because the car is too old for his diagnostic equipment and he recommended I go to a dealer. I've had a similiar cold start problem in the past, w/a Volvo and it was the cold start injecter. Any suggestion as to what to check?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: hard starting when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
Took my 94 SVX to the local mechanic because the car has developed a problem starting when it has been left in the garage over night. He couldn't diagnosis the problem because the car is too old for his diagnostic equipment and he recommended I go to a dealer. I've had a similiar cold start problem in the past, w/a Volvo and it was the cold start injecter. Any suggestion as to what to check?
Maybe you need an older mechanic.

In the mean time, I would fit a new Temperature sensor. Its the one with two wires, on the water crossover pipe under the left hand side of the Inlet manifold.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Temp sensor is a easy first step
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Make sure the car is quite cold when you change the temp sensor. Otherwise you'll get sprayed with hot water when you take the sensor out. The sensor is cheaply available from rockauto.com.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Make sure the car is quite cold when you change the temp sensor. Otherwise you'll get sprayed with hot water when you take the sensor out. The sensor is cheaply available from rockauto.com.
I agree with the temp sensor, however get an OEM subaru sensor. They are only a couple dollars more than some of the cheapest aftermarket, and actually cheaper than some aftermarket. I have seen some of the aftermarket sensors not work properly with the SVX ECU.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I agree with the temp sensor, however get an OEM subaru sensor. They are only a couple dollars more than some of the cheapest aftermarket, and actually cheaper than some aftermarket. I have seen some of the aftermarket sensors not work properly with the SVX ECU.
Good to know. Got a part number?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

22630aa041 $22.76
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll do that as a first effort. My usual mechanic was "older",and retired after 3 strokes. I need to find another mechanic who will work w/me on mods and is more flexible. The car also needed a NY state inspection and he wouldn't pass it because the headlights are yellowed. I don't think that's a failable issue but rather than argue (which I wouldn't have won), I will polish the headlight because they do need to be polished.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Question Re: hard starting when cold

Still need help w/cold starting problem. I installed the OEM Subaru temp. sensor (very easy) but I still have a problem starting when cold. The engine cranks over immediately but it takes a few seconds of cranking and the engine tries to start. Some times it will start and run rough for a few minutes but now that the weather is colder, the battery dies before the engine will fire up. I've eliminated the temp. sensor so what would be the next step? I had an older Volvo which had a cold start problem caused by a "cold start injector". Do we have something similar?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I had an older Volvo which had a cold start problem caused by a "cold start injector". Do we have something similar?
We do not have a cold start injector.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Is the battery sufficiently charged? time to swap it?

Did you try giving some throttle after 3-4 cranks? It's down to -15 celc here, I have minor issues and blame the fuel transfer system, from pump to injector. A small tap on the pedal usually does the trick if there's serious problems.

Mine does start but rpm goes to 1400 rather than usual 2000+.. might rise eventually or might just hang around at one point rather than settling slowly down to it's usual 500. This does not happen when the engine is warm.
I'm ready to f...
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Still need help w/cold starting problem. I installed the OEM Subaru temp. sensor (very easy) but I still have a problem starting when cold. The engine cranks over immediately but it takes a few seconds of cranking and the engine tries to start. Some times it will start and run rough for a few minutes but now that the weather is colder, the battery dies before the engine will fire up. I've eliminated the temp. sensor so what would be the next step? I had an older Volvo which had a cold start problem caused by a "cold start injector". Do we have something similar?
Are you certain you replaced the correct temp sensor? Which one did you replace?
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
SThe engine cranks over immediately but it takes a few seconds of cranking and the engine tries to start. Some times it will start and run rough for a few minutes but now that the weather is colder, the battery dies before the engine will fire up.
When I had a cold starting problem (which indeed was remedied by a new ECU temp sensor), after once draining the battery trying to start the thing, I found that the car would fire immediately if I held the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking. Give that a try, if you haven't already.

dcb
Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Brand new battery and I replaced the temp sensor located at the back of the engine, driver's side by the intake in the lower water crossover, as instructed by earlier posts. Tapping the throttle (gas)peddle or holding it down makes no difference. The engine will crank until either the battery dies or it starts running rough (Think just from too much gas while cranking), then it settles down to normal running when the excess fuel is burnt off. It will start normally after this for the rest of the day unless left off for a long time. Then the hard start reappears.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Brand new battery and I replaced the temp sensor located at the back of the engine, driver's side by the intake in the lower water crossover, as instructed by earlier posts. Tapping the throttle (gas)peddle or holding it down makes no difference. The engine will crank until either the battery dies or it starts running rough (Think just from too much gas while cranking), then it settles down to normal running when the excess fuel is burnt off. It will start normally after this for the rest of the day unless left off for a long time. Then the hard start reappears.
Which temp sensor was replaced as there are 2 right next to each other? This is all still sounding like the ECU temp sensor. Also, I'd be checking the wiring.