SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Registered SVX
Re: EGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
I have one more emmision test to pass. My repair / emmision test garage says it will pass.
My CEL was on for both EGR codes last time I had to go to emissions.
I found a garage with only a 2 wheel dyno so they would have to do the idle test only, I reset the ECU in the parking lot of test garage, and they ran the car. I passed.

So, my conclusion is that this part is meant to just waste space under my hood and make light on my dash come on. I just want the whole damn thing removed I think.

My CEL is still on for EGR.. My emissions was due in march. Just got my letter saying I cannot renew without passing emissions.. I should go do that someday.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Registered SVX

If we do nothing to our card ( yes serious question ) now it has a CEL
This light is on because something is wrong why can't I just fix it with out resorting to changing my ECU? The 5 speed is not causing it I have a 94
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
If we do nothing to our card ( yes serious question ) now it has a CEL
This light is on because something is wrong why can't I just fix it with out resorting to changing my ECU? The 5 speed is not causing it I have a 94
It's a 20 year old car. Things fail and break. If you truly want it fixed, you'll want to get a new (not used, go bend over at the subaru parts counter) EGR valve/solenoid assembly. It's a diaphragm that over time wears out and fails. This isn't rocket science...
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Not rocket science, but how can we tell the ecu that its all good in the egr system w/out bending over at the dealer, we are SVX ouners and that means we r really smart, correct? Lets find a way!! Will be watching and waiting and wondering and experimenting? Good day all.........G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Registered SVX

THANK YOU ! I have friends with cars 25 years older than these that have fixed problems worse than this. The car can pass emissions with the dreaded CEL.
All I want is it to go off .
Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM

Registered SVX

you can try cleaning the carbon out, but as I said, exhaust heat and gases for 20 years take their toll on the diaphragm. There is no "putting a resistor in" to fool the ECU.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
Not rocket science, but how can we tell the ecu that its all good in the egr system w/out bending over at the dealer, we are SVX ouners and that means we r really smart, correct? Lets find a way!! Will be watching and waiting and wondering and experimenting? Good day all.........G
There are tons of ways to do that. One of those ways is to switch to a 92 ECU. One way is to have a working solenoid plugged in and blocked off, so it can't ever get dirty/stuck again, and block off all the rest of the EGR. I have already explained to ConnSVX several times how to get it actually fixed.

I am not sure whether putting in a resistor would work, since I'm not sure how exactly the ECU gets information about whether the solenoid is working.

Here's what I would do if my 97 were having this problem:

Nothing. Because in FL we don't do emissions testing and I don't mind having the CEL on.

If I did have to worry about testing, I'd try cleaning out the solenoid with probably some seafoam or pb blaster. Then if that didn't work I'd try swapping the solenoid with one from my parts. And if that didn't work I'd buy a new solenoid and replace it. Because sometimes that's what you have to do.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
There is no "putting a resistor in" to fool the ECU.
Could you explain to me how the EGR sensors tells the ECU something is wrong?
I figured it was a matter of ohms on the line, like most other sensors.
So I was thinking just replace the line from the sensor with a hot wire of how ever many ohms is the normal reading.

There is no sarcasm in that question. I honestly want to know why it is not possible.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 09-17-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Could you explain to me how the EGR sensors tells the ECU something is wrong?
I figured it was a matter of ohms on the line, like most other sensors.
So I was thinking just replace the line from the sensor with a hot wire of how ever many ohms is the normal reading.

There is no sarcasm in that question. I honestly want to know why it is not possible.
It might very well be possible, if you could figure out the right resistance. But I, for one, wouldn't want to be the one to try it first. Definitely not to fix something as useless as the EGR.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX

Next question...

How do I know that an ECU is a 92 ECU?

I have 3 ECU here. 1 came in the car a 92, cali car, gives me code 56 (cali ecu).
I have one from a white 92, I don't know what state it originated, but it has a 1.5ecu chip in it, and I still get the EGR codes.
I have a misc one that came with a TCU I got from a pile of parts from a guy stripping a couple svx.. he didn't know which it came from.

Is there some way to tell by the numbers on it?

Its not big deal to me, the CEL being on doesn't bother me as long as it aint flashing.
I just clear the codes then do an idle test, I don't have that OBD-II to worry about "not ready" whatever crap. :P
But since I got 3 ecu here.. and a 1.5 chip.. and im still getting codes for EGR.. I would swap it if it would fix it.. But I tried 2 and both give the CEL.
For all i know all ECU that came with the car, and came out of the white one, could all be replacments and not actual 92 ecu..
But I do have a 1.5 ecu chip installed.. and your saying that should override the EGR codes, and it doesn't in my 92.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 09-17-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Next question...

How do I know that an ECU is a 92 ECU?

I have 3 ECU here. 1 came in the car a 92, cali car, gives me code 56 (cali ecu).
I have one from a white 92, I don't know what state it originated, but it has a 1.5ecu chip in it, and I still get the EGR codes.
I have a misc one that came with a TCU I got from a pile of parts from a guy stripping a couple svx.. he didn't know which it came from.

Is there some way to tell by the numbers on it?

Its not big deal to me, the CEL being on doesn't bother me as long as it aint flashing.
I just clear the codes then do an idle test, I don't have that OBD-II to worry about "not ready" whatever crap. :P
But since I got 3 ecu here.. and a 1.5 chip.. and im still getting codes for EGR.. I would swap it if it would fix it.. But I tried 2 and both give the CEL.
For all i know all ECU that came with the car, and came out of the white one, could all be replacments and not actual 92 ecu..
But I do have a 1.5 ecu chip installed.. and your saying that should override the EGR codes, and it doesn't in my 92.
ecu tune does not "override" any codes that I am aware of, the ecutune just changes fuel and timing maps.
I would suspect if you get the numbers off the ecu, I think its a white sticker that will tell you what year and where it was specified to be sold, ie if its a cali car or a federal, meaning all other states.

One thing to note, I have read several accounts of people that have changed ecu, the intake wiring has to match the 92 ecu I guess because the 92 does not have the temp sensor wiring.

Last edited by 92 SVX; 09-17-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Registered SVX

Not sure how to tell the difference, sorry. Maybe nate knows.

But it's more likely that they're 92 ECUs, just because there are more 92s, and the 92s are older, and therefore more likely to be parted. When you tried the other ECU, did you get both code 34 and 56 or just 34?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
One thing to note, I have read several accounts of people that have changed ecu, the intake wiring has to match the 92 ecu I guess because the 92 does not have the temp sensor wiring.
You've got that backwards, a 92 ECU can go into a 92 Cali/94+federal car without a problem. It will never look for the temp sensor. If you put a 92 cali or 94+federal ECU into a Federal 92 car, it will throw a code because there is no EGR temp sensor or wiring. IIRC, the 92 Cali/94+Fed ECU's only need to see the temp sensor is plugged in and existent. It doesn't actually readily monitor the temps. (This may be different for OBD2 versions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Not sure how to tell the difference, sorry. Maybe nate knows.

But it's more likely that they're 92 ECUs, just because there are more 92s, and the 92s are older, and therefore more likely to be parted. When you tried the other ECU, did you get both code 34 and 56 or just 34?
I'll have to take a look at some of my ECU's. I'm sure it can be figured out easy enough. The 92 Fed eliminates the EGR temp sensor check, but still retains the general EGR system code #56. I believe the only way for this to be thrown is a stuck/failed solenoid. There really isn't any clear info. YT would know the most on this subject I believe, possibly OT as they have more hands on experience of this nature. It is not something that LAN or any others who have looked at the programming/software side of things would know.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
When you tried the other ECU, did you get both code 34 and 56 or just 34?
Now that you ask me that, I'm not sure if it was both or just 1.
I know the CEL came on, so I said screw it and put the ecu with the 1.5 chip back in.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Registered SVX

Ahhhhh ok i knew it was one of those