Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX
lots of questions

1: my front diff oil smells like sh#t...literally...are they all like that? (and the smell fills the cabin on hot afternoons)
2: how do I test for head gasket problems? (it does not overheat, no oil in coolant and vice versa, but exhaust smells weird)
3: AC has leak, no sign of oil on the hoses, will AC sealant fix these? should I try?
4: car runs rich in the mornings, has awful fuel economy, what could it be?
5: I once punched it in the freeway and it did not shift down, kept it floored for more than 10 secs and it did not shift down..finally put it on power and it shifted...anything wrong? (rebuilt tranny 3k miles ago)
6: is changing the spark plugs difficult? more than timing belt?
7: I found a post about putting a switch for 50/50 power distribution in the center diff on the 4eat's...possible on svxi?
8: (not svx related)has anyone ever tried this product called plasti-dip? any good?

sorry for asking so many but I assume they are all short answers so why not...please answer as many as you can
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Registered SVX
Re: lots of questions

Well, I'm not mechanical expert, so ill just chime in on the ones I got a guess on.

3:AC - Yes, go have it filled with the dyed stuff, if there is a leak then you can trace it and fix it.

4:Rich on startup - My 92 smells rich or something on startup but after it warms up a bit the fuel like smell goes away.

5:downshifting - If you are on the highway going like 65, and you punch it, but not enough to get to power mode, then it may just stay in gear.

Not very helpful,I know... but at least you know someone read your post...
Old 05-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
1: my front diff oil smells like sh#t...literally...are they all like that? (and the smell fills the cabin on hot afternoons) REALLY!? No!.....Change it.
2: how do I test for head gasket problems? (it does not overheat, no oil in coolant and vice versa, but exhaust smells weird) Don't buy trouble. Watch it and continue to apply sniff test though.
3: AC has leak, no sign of oil on the hoses, will AC sealant fix these? should I try? What have you got to lose? With some of the recharge kits you come away with a gauge for future checks
4: car runs rich in the mornings, has awful fuel economy, what could it be? Doesn't like your current driving pattern. No clue
5: I once punched it in the freeway and it did not shift down, kept it floored for more than 10 secs and it did not shift down..finally put it on power and it shifted...anything wrong? (rebuilt tranny 3k miles ago) I've heard various methods for certain "power" engagement, including ON/OFF/ON at Full Throttle. Mine has a a switch
6: is changing the spark plugs difficult? No, demands patience though. Pull airbox and battery more than timing belt? NO!
7: I found a post about putting a switch for 50/50 power distribution in the center diff on the 4eat's...possible on svxi?
8: (not svx related) has anyone ever tried this product called plasti-dip? any good? yes; and as with most coatings, preparation/cleaning is critical

sorry for asking so many but I assume they are all short answers so why not...please answer as many as you can
Hope you don't mind brief responses.
Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 05-20-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Well, I'm not mechanical expert, so ill just chime in on the ones I got a guess on. ... but at least you know someone read your post...
It's very helpful...thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Hope you don't mind brief responses.
Glenn
absolutely not
follow up question:
3: wouldn't it clog up something that is supposed to stay unclogged?

and the forced 50/50 used to be here...the link stopped working though
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

The forced 50/50 is a bad idea.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
1: my front diff oil smells like sh#t...literally...are they all like that? (and the smell fills the cabin on hot afternoons)
2: how do I test for head gasket problems? (it does not overheat, no oil in coolant and vice versa, but exhaust smells weird)
3: AC has leak, no sign of oil on the hoses, will AC sealant fix these? should I try?
4: car runs rich in the mornings, has awful fuel economy, what could it be?
5: I once punched it in the freeway and it did not shift down, kept it floored for more than 10 secs and it did not shift down..finally put it on power and it shifted...anything wrong? (rebuilt tranny 3k miles ago)
6: is changing the spark plugs difficult? more than timing belt?
8: (not svx related)has anyone ever tried this product called plasti-dip? any good?

I'll field the ones no one else got to. briefly, because I don't have a lot of time.

1 - gear oil smells like ass, but just because it "always smells bad" doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed. if you don't know when it was last changed, change it.

4 - maybe coolant temp sensor? Idk of anything else.

5 - make sure your throttle cable doesn't have any slack. even though the pedal was floored, doesn't necessarily mean the throttle body was 100% open, or that the throttle position sensor read that it was 100% open.

6 - it's about a 3/10 difficulty. 1 is opening the hood and checking the oil.

7 - it can be done, but it's an extremely bad idea unless you are drag racing the car.

8 - plasti-dip is good for a lot of things, but I can't think of anything it would be needed for on the SVX. It's a quality product though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
The forced 50/50 is a bad idea.
why's that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I'll field the ones no one else got to. briefly, because I don't have a lot of time.
followup:
1: it's clear and tranny rebuilt 3k ago...so I guess no need to change...right?
7: again why?

thank you so much
-Regasketed Engine @140k
Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
why's that?

followup:

thank you so much
If you switch the C solenoid to full pressure, the front and rear wheels will be locked together. This makes turning a corner a real problem, that will either, cause wear on the transfer clutch, or scrub out the tyres.
Only good to do at the drag strip, to prevent the transfer clutch from slipping, or the clutch drum from breaking.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
1 - Nah, probably not yet, but don't neglect it. People tend to forget about front diff gear oil when they get around to changing the fluids. Rear diff too.

7 - What harvey said basically. The switch puts it in full lock (50/50 doesn't quite accurately represent what's going on, btw). So the front and back wheels will be forced to turn at the same speed. Which is great as long as you're going straight. But when you're turning (even a little bit) you will be putting a lot of stress on the transfer clutches and whatnot in the transmission, as well as wearing out the tires.

So the idea behind the switch is that you pull up to the line at the drag strip, flip the switch to put it in full lock, then do the run, and when you get to the end, before you turn around, you flip the switch back to normal. It will prevent the very slight delay before the rear wheels start to work. Basically the little chirp that the front wheels do sometimes when you floor it from a stop is prevented. It also relieves some strain on the front diff, which sometimes don't hold up well to the sudden jolt of power when you take off. So, yes, it's pretty much only useful at the drag strip.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

ok so i should do it but be careful with it...okay i can work with that
thank you guys...most of the questions were answered sufficiently
-Regasketed Engine @140k