Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM

defrost now blowing out front vents...

so i recently turned on just my defrost button, it worked on my windshield but there was clicking noises behind my steering wheel. so i go today and the clicking stopped but now when i put defrost on it doesnt come out the vents by my windshield but the vents on the dash above the stereo and a/c buttons n stuff. it is really hot air but the clicking has stopped. but nothing is coming out by my windshield.. anyone know what could be causing it to switch to a different vent?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: defrost now blowing out front vents...

There is a motorized thingy by the driver's right foot kind of up in the dash that opens and closes the vents. If you get on your back with a flashlight, you should be able to get a good look at it and see whether one of the little "fingers" has come loose from the little rods and things that it uses to control which vents are open. Or, maybe the motor or a relay just died or something.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

You probably need to clean and grease the track for the sliding mechanism. I think there is a thread or a how to for this if you search around a little.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
sliding mechanism
Ah, yes. That sounds a lot better than "thingy".
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM

okay ill check it out. and this sliding mechanism that could be greased...is that by the drivers right foot where the first guy told me to look? its weird cause my defrost worked friday, than saturday i heard the clicking and now monday clicking is gone but im gettin real hot air coming out the other vents. its like it totally detoured to the other vents but still has good power lol. ill look for that other thread
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Registered SVX

Yea, that's what I was talking about. It looks like a plastic set of fingers that each have a track for something to slide on. Once you see it you'll understand how it works.

On a side note, where in the world are you that you still need the defroster this time of year?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM

so i can look this up right now without taking anything apart? since i have no tools... and i live in edmonton alberta canada... we had snow on friday.. haha
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Registered SVX

Yep. Just grab a flashlight, and you ought to be able to see what's going on as long as you can maneuver yourself into a position to see up there. Try switching the ac controls to vent/defrost etc to see what happens.

Well I mean, you'd need tools to change out the actuator and stuff, but not to see what's going on with it.

Ah, good old Canadia. That explains it.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Registered SVX

I once had a wire get stuck in the mechanism.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 PM

okay guys so i looked under there and had my room mate press the buttons. i dunno what the hell happened cause i didnt do anything but my defrost is working. and that arm moves on the track fine. so defrost fixed. but im back to the clicking noise. i see a plastic piece by the arm that looks like its doin it. but i dont know why. nothing seems bent or out of wack. ill take a picture right now
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM

i have attached 2 pictures of what plastic piece is making the clicking noise...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (367.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (357.1 KB, 189 views)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM

Registered SVX

Could it be the "mode motor" which is making the clicking sound? Mine did and the air flow to the defrost channesl was minimal....

It's at the other end of the shiny metal rod which is attached to the sheet metal lever by the plastic clip. very close to your red arrow.

Search "mode motor". I paid around 100USD for a new one.

Tapani
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM

ill look into mode motor. i know that my defrost and everything else is kicking out good and seems to be working great. just that damn clicking noise
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Registered SVX

Worn plastic gears inside the "motor" make the sound. How it affects the defrost depends how close to the "max defrost" position the teeth are worn off....

Part #9 here:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/svx/u...llustration_1/

T

Last edited by Tapani; 04-30-2012 at 10:31 PM.