Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Re: 4EAT failure?

The handbrake thing - believe me, I use that too, but it's badly out of adjustment and only works at very low speeds or on a slightly sloped driveway when I'm in neutral.

I just e-mailed Huck about this so I'm cutting and pasting this:

I added 2 Qts of ATF, drove it a couple of miles, read the dipstick a couple of times… it’s definitely full now – but it won’t come out of 2nd. So now I’m thinking maybe it’s a solenoid or something. Drove a mile on I-295 at about 60 doing about 4500rpm or more. ಠ_ಠ

Yeah, Dave I did exactly what you said - it was *almost* off the dipstick so I added 2Qts. It seems to actually behave better from 1st to 2nd (no surprise that it's at least somewhat better, eh?!) but now it won't come out of 2nd at all. For a second there Olivia and I were like, "Yeah! Alright!" but then it never came out of 2nd and we were bummed out.

Huck mentioned trying to score an Outback 4EAT for around $200 or so at the junkyard. If I can, then my brother-in-law could swap it in - he's a Toyota master mechanic (no longer by trade, but the knowledge is still fresh enough). So I'd need to pay his gas to come down from SC, and then pay him some labor cost (couple hundred? I don't know - he'll tell me and he's honest and fair).

AAAaaaaaaanyway. That's the latest.

And yeah, once I get this cleared up I guess I'll do the brake thing next.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Does it already have a 4.44? If so, then, yeah it'll be an easy swap for him.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

have fun w/ the 4.44
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Anyone think it would be worthwhile for him to try an additive to free up a potentially stuck solenoid? Or did he definitely trash the tranny by running it low?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Anyone think it would be worthwhile for him to try an additive to free up a potentially stuck solenoid? Or did he definitely trash the tranny by running it low?
No mate it won't be a solenoid. 3rd gear has all the shift solenoids turned off, but both are turned on for 1st.
I would say that running with low oil, (read low line pressure) was too much for the high clutch.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Ouch.

I'm such a moron. I never knew that's how you checked the tranny fluid level. I thought that you did it the same as the oil, with the engine off but warm.

Well - if it's shot, then yeah, I guess I need to get an Outback tranny. I'm told that a '98 model year is what I would probably want. Doing a little online shopping I saw these for sale:

http://www.autopartsfair.com/subaru-...theautochannel

I don't know if I'm searching properly or not but I imagine that's about what I'm looking for, eh? I was hoping to find one for ~$200 or so but $349 isn't THAT much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Does it already have a 4.44? If so, then, yeah it'll be an easy swap for him.
No it doesn't. But I've got the FWD fuse in right now, because my rear diff was messed up a while back (related to my idiocy with the tranny fluid leak maybe?). So with the rear diff disabled will the lack of a 4.44 gear be a problem? I know almost NOTHING about gearing, transmissions, and differentials... I guess I've already proved that here.

Last edited by Austin; 03-10-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Ouch.

I'm such a moron. I never knew that's how you checked the tranny fluid level. I thought that you did it the same as the oil, with the engine off but warm.

Well - if it's shot, then yeah, I guess I need to get an Outback tranny. I'm told that a '98 model year is what I would probably want. Doing a little online shopping I saw these for sale:

http://www.autopartsfair.com/subaru-...theautochannel

I don't know if I'm searching properly or not but I imagine that's about what I'm looking for, eh? I was hoping to find one for ~$200 or so but $349 isn't THAT much worse.

No it doesn't. But I've got the FWD fuse in right now, because my rear diff was messed up a while back (related to my idiocy with the tranny fluid leak maybe?). So with the rear diff disabled will the lack of a 4.44 gear be a problem? I know almost NOTHING about gearing, transmissions, and differentials... I guess I've already proved that here.
you dont really want to run with the FWD fuse in, its very hard on the front diff, and possibly the trans as well.

If you put in a 4.44 geared trans you do want to change out the gears in the rear diff as well.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
you dont really want to run with the FWD fuse in, its very hard on the front diff, and possibly the trans as well.
Ay caramba. I've been driving it that way of a VERY long time. Sounds like I just totally screwed things up through noobie ignorance.

Well I think it'll be too much work for a visiting brother-in-law to do lying on his back in my driveway and 300 miles away from his tools, etc., and too much out of pocket expense for me.

The car has a few other issues too (brake line thing being a critical one).

I think I've just come to the conclusion that I need to sell the car. Too bad because I have always love the SVX (again, I've wanted one since seeing the concept vehicle in a magazine).

One positive aspect of ownership (and this particular issue) for me has been that I've had to pull my XT6 out of retirement and it's nice to rediscover just how nice it is to drive. (If you know anyone looking for a "good little car" but they don't know much about how cars work, or if they're a moron like me, the XT6 is a great one to suggest.)

I think I'll just try to get whatever money I can out of the SVX and maybe buy another XT6. If I ever get to a point financially where I can afford to do a lot of work on one, I'd love to own another SVX someday.

It's a sad day with this (not quite final) decision.

Last edited by Austin; 03-10-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Okay, I'm looking for a little advice here...

I would love to hold onto my car but I need to be realistic about spending any more time and money on this thing.

I'm really pretty much unable to do any work myself, or without an experienced mechanic in my driveway.

So, I'm needing to weigh my options here...

What would be a very general ballpark estimate to pay to swap in either another SVX tranny (and probably invite further trouble) or an Outback tranny with the 4.44 gear?

Conversely, what does one think I could get for a '96LSi in otherwise very good condition (has a brake line leak, but otherwise in good shape, body, no rust, etc.)? Maybe I should phrase that, "Do you think anyone would even be interested in a '96 LSi with a dead tranny?"

Would it be better for me to sell it or fix it? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Keep in mind that I have little to no money... I could maybe come up with a grand over two months if I tried hard to come up with it (budget's very tight). I'm not interested in parting it out. I either want it running or gone.

Last edited by Austin; 03-14-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Okay, I'm looking for a little advice here...

I would love to hold onto my car but I need to be realistic about spending any more time and money on this thing.

I'm really pretty much unable to do any work myself, or without an experienced mechanic in my driveway.

So, I'm needing to weigh my options here...

What would be a very general ballpark estimate to pay to swap in either another SVX tranny (and probably invite further trouble) or an Outback tranny with the 4.44 gear?

Conversely, what does one think I could get for a '96LSi in otherwise very good condition (has a brake line leak, but otherwise in good shape, body, no rust, etc.)? Maybe I should phrase that, "Do you think anyone would even be interested in a '96 LSi with a dead tranny?"

Would it be better for me to sell it or fix it? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Keep in mind that I have little to no money... I could maybe come up with a grand over two months if I tried hard to come up with it (budget's very tight). I'm not interested in parting it out. I either want it running or gone.
People ask this advice a lot of the time on the forums. The fact is, no one knows your situation like you do. But keep in mind that once the tranny issue is solved decisively (either with 4.44s or a 5- or 6-speed), these cars are absurdly reliable. Just the normal 90's cars aging type of issues. Whatever car you replace it with will have its own set of issues, or a car payment to worry about.

I'll also add that it's well worth learning how to take care of small maintenance issues yourself, if you have the time. That is what the forum is here for, after all.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Yeah, I figured that was pretty much a "crystal ball" type post of mine... thought it might be worth a shot though.

The thing is, even if I were to spend (I'm guessing) 2 grand to put an Outback tranny with the 4.44 in there, I'd still be facing the fact that it's got a bad rear diff and probably eventually going to go through a wheel bearing or two (and with MY luck it'll be sooner rather than later). Then I've got the whole leaking brake line issue to resolve on top of all that. If I had money to just "play with" I'd jump right in, but for me it has been my daily driver and I need something less problematic.

As for replacing it with another used car, I'm looking into another XT6 (I own an '89 already, but my daughter needs it as her 2000 Camry* became a mechanical liability and she just sold it - my wife wants her to to work and earn some more money first before buying another car). So I'm looking into some XT6es right now and just trying to figure what I'm going to be able to get out of this SVX.

From what I'm gathering, I'm probably looking at a complete loss on it and just calling a scrapper to haul it off. I just can't really invest much more time and money into it. An XT6 is something I know pretty well inside and out and can work on pretty adeptly for most things... they're also VERY reliable - even for their age. So basically I was just trying to figure out what to ask for it.

I guess I'll just play it by ear.

* Shocking about the 2000 Camry... it was my mother's car and she had it serviced at every interval on time at the dealership where she bought it. No, really, EVERY SINGLE SERVICE and oil change at the dealership - on schedule like clockwork. She is a retired and widowed 71 year old school teacher - literally the little old lady driving it that one always hopes for. She decided (prematurely) to try living without a car (as she was moving to a major city with subways, etc.), so she gave the car to my oldest daughter. My daughter didn't neglect or abuse the car either. A year later and it developed a pretty bad case of piston slap.

My daughter wants a late 90s Outback (Subaru loyalty runs deep in this family!), so she wants to save up some more money than the 3 grand she got for the Camry. So she's driving my XT6. Fortunately I work from home so I don't need to drive too much and merely have to shuttle my other daughter to the bus stop a mile and a half away two times a day and can do that in 1st and 2nd gears of the SVX for the next little while.

Funny twist? My mom decided she still needs a car and bought a 2011 Forester back in October!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Registered SVX

4.44 swap will run you much, much less than your estimate. I'll be down in FL in a few weeks

Please, please do not just scrap it.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I did mine for <$500. Think the trans was like $250 and the rear diff was $100, something cheap like this..

It can be done without too many fancy tools, just tall jack stands and a trans. jack and some swearing and you're good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
4.44 swap will run you much, much less than your estimate. I'll be down in FL in a few weeks

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post

Aus, did you get the PM I sent?

This is a good option and I have a 4.44 diff I can send along down with Nate.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

yeah, 4.44's are cheap as hell when you source everything.

If you don't do it yourself, you'd spend more on labor than the parts!

Never give up, NEVER SURRENDER~!