Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
coilovers questions

Looking at GC coilovers w/Koni inserts and someone recommended I look at the custom made ones on e bay. I sent a message to the seller (Australia ebay, guy in France? he said theirs are better/last longer. I know nothing about coilovers and struts. He suggested I go with the mono tube dampers and 1 way adjustment, camber plates front/rear. It's direct bolt in, no fabbing. He also said 2 ways adjustable damping and dual springs are nice but more expensive.

It's all Greek to me. Anyone have any time to educate me? Suggestion?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: coilovers questions

Coilovers have adjustable damping levels in the shocks, meaning you can tune how soft or stiff they are.

Single adjustable means that both compression and rebound are controlled by the same knob. Dual adjustable means that compression and rebound are separately adjustable (more of a racing feature).

Camber plates will make the upper mount for the struts adjustable and allow you to control the camber angle. Not a whole lot of point of having them in the rear, you have to strip out the entire rear interior to be able to adjust them every time you do an alignment. I have them on my car and can't see myself ever touching them after I installed them, just way too much work.

Now, everything being said, uber cheap coilovers always make me a bit nervous. One of the most likely reasons is that the shock isn't valved or tuned to specific vehicles, just a generic unit that they put into every system they sell. This means that you're getting the same equipment in a 2900 pound Nissan 240 as you would in your 3500 lb SVX. Obviously that is going to make a difference in the way things work. Just my opinion though, your mileage may vary.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Registered SVX

I have ordered a set of the "ebay" coilovers and am awaiting their arrival to test them out. I have talked with the ebay seller extensively and they seem to be a very good product. Once I get them in my hands, we will be able to check the quality as well as the performance of the units.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Registered SVX

Looking at the ad (keeping in mind they dont always tell the complete story, or even truth in some cases)
I think these are all done on extensive specs for each car.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COILOVERS...item19cc1a9f1f
Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I have ordered a set of the "ebay" coilovers and am awaiting their arrival to test them out. I have talked with the ebay seller extensively and they seem to be a very good product. Once I get them in my hands, we will be able to check the quality as well as the performance of the units.
What coil stiffness and rates would you suggest for a hard street driven car?

By that I mean normal city and highways but fast turns and fast starts and stops?

With the possibility of auto x but that would be a rare event.
Oh and low almost as low as the removed.

oops I ment this pic
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58977

Last edited by 92 SVX; 01-06-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

The ebay coilovers don't allow for the stock strut mounts...correct? Without the stock rubber strut mounts, won't this make the ride significantly more harsh?

Looks like the mounting bracket on the ebay coilovers is simply a steel plate...
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
The ebay coilovers don't allow for the stock strut mounts...correct? Without the stock rubber strut mounts, won't this make the ride significantly more harsh?

Looks like the mounting bracket on the ebay coilovers is simply a steel plate...
I may be completely wrong on this(if I am I apologize) but it would seem the strut goes through the top mount same as a stock one so i imagine you could use the stock one.

However I dont believe the ride quality would diminish much, if at all as the strut is still going to dampen the bounce.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

The OEM mounts still mount metal plate to the metal body with rubber inside the mount.

Quote:
- Steel top plates with rubber bushes for comfort, without compromising road feel
As I've said in this thread as well as the other one. We have ordered a set to test out. We will report the quality and anything else that would be of importance to anyone debating. With these, stock ride height and spring rates are still available to those that would want a stock feel but a more reliable upgrade as there have been issues with OEM replacement struts in years past. Also, OEM mounts at any point in time, Subaru could choose to discontinue making them leaving no option and therefore quite a few SVXes destined to be parted out as a strut mount is pretty vital to operation of a car.
These also offer many optioins that are completely unavailable other than the Aragosta that cost as much as I can buy about 10 SVXes for. This is all at a great price, and from talks back and forth, should be of great quality and guaranteed fitment and reliability.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Registered SVX

Why is it that this community writes off anything new or looks for reasons of it being "not good enough". This is pretty much a lifesaver with OEM struts being in question and the Koni option drying up fast. (most of you don't know about that last one)
This should eliminate some of the bigger question marks for the survival of this car going into the future as well as offering a great performance option.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
...the Koni option drying up fast.
This is going to be one of the first strikes against the SVX, but that doesn't necessarily mean that what may be a set of rubber bands and some duct tape is a viable alternative. If there isn't some forward motion in exploring new options, however, the first set of rubber bands and some duct tape may be the only alternative.

Quote:
...the survival of this car going into the future...
...is going to require more than LEDs and CAIs, folks.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
The OEM mounts still mount metal plate to the metal body with rubber inside the mount.

As I've said in this thread as well as the other one. We have ordered a set to test out. We will report the quality and anything else that would be of importance to anyone debating. With these, stock ride height and spring rates are still available to those that would want a stock feel but a more reliable upgrade as there have been issues with OEM replacement struts in years past. Also, OEM mounts at any point in time, Subaru could choose to discontinue making them leaving no option and therefore quite a few SVXes destined to be parted out as a strut mount is pretty vital to operation of a car.
These also offer many optioins that are completely unavailable other than the Aragosta that cost as much as I can buy about 10 SVXes for. This is all at a great price, and from talks back and forth, should be of great quality and guaranteed fitment and reliability.

looking forward to hearing how these go!!

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Why is it that this community writes off anything new or looks for reasons of it being "not good enough". This is pretty much a lifesaver with OEM struts being in question and the Koni option drying up fast. (most of you don't know about that last one)
This should eliminate some of the bigger question marks for the survival of this car going into the future as well as offering a great performance option.
I'm not saying these are a bad thing. I'm all for anything that will extend the life of our cars and keep us on the road, but working in a few different shops in the last bunch of years has ingrained me with an automatic caution of anything that shows up way below typical pricing. I really wish you guys the best trying them out, it'll be great to see some new aftermarket stuff for the SVX.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

I am really interested in the feedback on these. I have the Koni/GC setup and am less than satisfied. So many people have raved of this setup and I just don't see the cause for such excitement. The best thing about the setup is being able to lower the vehicle and eliminate some of that front wheel gap.

The ride itself I find is jarring and I have the koni's on the softest setting. Feeling every little bump and crevice in the road gets old real quick! Mind you I don't race my svx and use it solely as a highway cruiser and occassional around town go getter. Now maybe those who are into regular auto crossing would find this much more suitable.

Having said that I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of these new coilovers.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks, Chris, for the education. I think I understand coilovers now and really appreciate your help.

The Koni/GC disappointment comes as a surprise, though. Anyone else hear the same? I might not wait for you guys to test out a couple of sets. What have you ebay coilovers ordered as options?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
I am really interested in the feedback on these. I have the Koni/GC setup and am less than satisfied. So many people have raved of this setup and I just don't see the cause for such excitement. The best thing about the setup is being able to lower the vehicle and eliminate some of that front wheel gap.

The ride itself I find is jarring and I have the koni's on the softest setting. Feeling every little bump and crevice in the road gets old real quick! Mind you I don't race my svx and use it solely as a highway cruiser and occassional around town go getter. Now maybe those who are into regular auto crossing would find this much more suitable.

Having said that I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of these new coilovers.
What spring rate are you running?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album