How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Registered SVX
so she's back on the road finally :D few Q's

engine is done and purring like a kitty , they installed new idlers and the unorthadox racing crank pulley i got engine sounds flawless ... YAY

after driving it for the past couple of days , ive noticed a slight rattle and maybe a leak from the exhaust .

under light accel it feels like trans slips and flares a little and there is a vibration like noise (different to the exhaust sound) im guessing flex plate is slightly cracked ?

under harder accel it feels like it doesnt slip and shifts alot better ,
im going to change the trans fluid probably next week if i have the money and the time ... should i install the trans cooler i got a while back ? if so should i do it inline with the rad cooler or just it by itself .

the mechs told me to drive it with just the water they put in it for 1000kms then put coolant in so i bought some penrite sin racing (red) coolant concentrate and il get some demineralised water for it

also they noticed that when in the air the back left wheel doesnt spin freely , but on the ground it does . is there some sort of mechanism that does that or should i pull the wheel off and work out what is causing it ?
i do have to pull the wheels off to put the centric rings on soon so il have a little look then

i got all the parts they replaced back so il post a picture of how bad the old hgs looked (imaging chipboard soaked in water that has swelled ) i should probably put the new o ring in the power steering while im working on it to i suppose , ive also got a couple of parts they didnt use so il write up the p/n's and if anyone is interested in them give me a pm

il give the eng bay a steam clean cos the mechs said battery was squirting acid out when on the charger i bought a new battery yesterday , i noticed a bit of paint bubbling/flaking under where the battery was

other then that im so happy to have her back on the road

the wtf is that thing Q's have alrady started i was asked if its a nissan silvia with custom windows , also told "those things are cool and go hard with their twin turbos" and when ive said its a subaru they say is it a v6 or a straight 6 , i just reply since when have subaru ever had a v or straight engines ... hahahah
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 PM

Registered SVX
Re: so she's back on the road finally :D few Q's

well that was a fun 2.5 hours ..... in the rain
changed the trans cooler rubber lines between the trans and the metal tubes on the eng because i noticed smoke billowing out from the pass side and thought ahhhh sh!t , one of them was leaking like a tap
its quite hard to change them with big ass hands
and somehow lost my 1/4" socket tightening the clamps back up
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Registered SVX

Good on ya mate!
I just got mine back on the road tonight after an engine rebuild -- sounds and feels great!

May the force be with you.
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)
Old 10-01-2011, 01:41 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod. View Post
Good on ya mate!
I just got mine back on the road tonight after an engine rebuild -- sounds and feels great!

May the force be with you.
thanks rod , oh ok cool , i wish i knew how to do that sort of stuff my self ....
id be able to afford a wreck to get a 5 speed out of now
cost me 3000 to get the work done even though i bought 90% of the parts
Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
thanks rod , oh ok cool , i wish i knew how to do that sort of stuff my self ....
id be able to afford a wreck to get a 5 speed out of now
cost me 3000 to get the work done even though i bought 90% of the parts
I hear you about not being able to do the work myself. Sure wish that i could. It was about 35 hours of shop time to get the '97's engine torn down to find the problem, get the '92 donor sorted, and the rebuild done. Add $1500 in parts, and it was an ugly bill.

But these are unique cars and even if the 'market' doesn't rank them in the same league as similar higher-end GT/sports cars, I know I've got a great car and will enjoy every minute of seat time.

Cheers!
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)
Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod. View Post
But these are unique cars and even if the 'market' doesn't rank them in the same league as similar higher-end GT/sports cars, I know I've got a great car and will enjoy every minute of seat time.

Cheers!
couldnt have said it any better haha, theres only 250 of them that were imported here.
basically other than timing belts , windscreens and interchangeable parts like sensors etc , parts have to be sourced from the US oddly enough if works out cheaper with postage from there then it is to get them if they were available here eg t-belt here $155 in the US $55-70 +40 odd for postage hahah
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM

Registered SVX

ok so ive got a few parts that wernt used when they did my hgs il list all the ones that are in bags , theres a heap that wernt in bags too tho
can anyone tell me what these are/were for ?

31260GA050
34424AA000
31263GA900
34427AA000
31263GA840
34432AA000
34427AA000
31260GA050
34427AA010
31263GA890
34425AA000

the loose parts that are left are things like tb gasket