SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Re: Trans cooler LINE question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Dear Keith,

My gauge certainly has “some numbers on it”, is quite respectful in every way and is in no way "irreverent" towards me or my SVX.

I am happy to say that my gauge is “an economical version,” and in spite of you thinking that it could be still be a gauge even if it showed a blank face, it brazenly shows its numbers. What is more it is kind to viewers in the US, as well as me down here, by simultaneously flashing a double smile. Very clever and very well numbered.

Its SVX mate does not have a transmission problem and therefore for me, it does what is correct. I have put a little touch of red make up on its face to help with this.

What the numbers actually mean, together with relative test procedures is published in the in the Subaru manuals. Right now I do not have the time to set them all out here, and the pressured gauge won’t lend a hand.

However it is surely obvious that particularly, “if the amount of pressure is irreverent,” a small amount is most certainly a grave problem and the tranny could be close to death.

Again, cheers, Trevor.
Dear Trevor,
Could you possibly post a graphic of the said gauge. Sounds great!
Thanks,
Keith
Old 08-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Dear Trevor,
Could you possibly post a graphic of the said gauge. Sounds great!
Thanks,
Keith
Kia ora Keith and others interested.

I have been impressed by johnybeas enterprise in starting up his organisation and have passed details on to him, in the hope that I have provided him with the opportunity to produce and market what could be an inexpensive kitset. He would no doubt be delighted to receive expressions of interest.

Meantime I feel obliged to ensure that he retains the benefit of any good will being established, so meantime I will refrain from disclosing exact details. Be sure that I have and do not wish to have, any financial involvement and have absolutely no mercenary intent in respect of the forum.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
No, I am not.
If you use the proper sized aftermarket cooler, sandwiched between the factory radiator, and the factory AC condenser it works fine, without placing a restriction on the transmission pressures,LIKE THE FACTORY COOLER DOES!

We live just outside Cumberland Maryland and see below 0°f during our winters.
We drive SVXi every day.
With the proper sized cooler it is not a problem, but a way to help our transmissions.
I get what you were saying here about the location helping to heat up the ATF. But I now have two more questions for you. What is a properly sized cooler? And how exactly did you mount it?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I get what you were saying here about the location helping to heat up the ATF. But I now have two more questions for you. What is a properly sized cooler? And how exactly did you mount it?
A properly sized ATF cooler is dictated by the climate conditions of the area that the car is driven in, the age and condition of the transmission and fluid, and the manor in which it is driven.
How hot and cold does it get in Corning NY?
As to the mounting Hayden/Imperial ATF coolers come with a "zip cord" mounting system.
I remove the factory radiator, trim some protruding bolts pointing towards the radiator, and attach it to the AC condenser, carefully routing the ATF transmission lines along the drivers side frame rail.
More later.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 08-17-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
A properly sized ATF cooler is dictated by the climate conditions of the area that the car is driven in, the age and condition of the transmission and fluid, and the manor in which it is driven.
How hot and cold does it get in Corning NY?
As to the mounting Hayden/Imperial ATF coolers come with a "zip cord" mounting system.
I remove the factory radiator, trim some protruding bolts pointing towards the radiator, and attach it to the AC condencer, carefully routing the ATF transmission lines along the drivers side frame rail.
More later.
It can get pretty cold here. It isn't typical but -20F mornings do happen. The typical January morning is in the 0-10F range. I have been doing a lot of reading online about this subject and the various opinions are dizzying. But I have given it some thought and have come to a couple of theories. First, parallel plumbing makes the most sense with the older trannies/radiators. And, if one were to plumb it parallel one really should plumb in a high capacity high quality cooler. The reason is that a cheap or small cooler in parallel will cause the flow to increase too much and cause the pressure to drop. That lower pressure will push little fluid through the radiator cooler. The majority of what does flow will flow through the added cooler. If it is a low capacity cooler, one might not be any better off than with the radiator cooler and might even be worse off. If both coolers are high capacity, they will roughly split the fluid flow. Since the flow won't increase by much more than 2X, the pressure shouldn't drop too much. Also, if both coolers (old and new) are working together, the old cooler will at least do some heating of the ATF in cold temperatures. Placement might not matter as much in that case.

If one were to put an external cooler in series then I think it may actually be a good idea to put a high quality but low capacity (small) cooler in the system. The reason is that the new cooler will increase the resistance to flow and might cause it to drop too low. Also, a larger cooler will cause air flow through the condenser/radiator/external cooler combination to be more restricted than a smaller cooler. That reduces cooling efficiency. This would seem to be a better option for a newer tranny/radiator that has less of a problem with overheating and clogging to start with. There is little to no concern about clogging like in the older models. The trannies don't run as hot as the older models. A small cooler makes sense and putting it in series makes sense. Where to put it then becomes the question. If it is plumbed prior to the existing radiator then it could be placed in either location. If it is plumbed after the existing radiator then putting it between the condenser and radiator probably is the way to go.

Does anyone know where the ATF cooling lines are on the OEM radiator? I would think that one would want to avoid that area if one puts in a small external cooler. Doesn't make sense to remove heat from the ATF and then use that heated air to try and cool the ATF flowing through the radiator cooler.

With the zip cord mounting system, do the external coolers attach to the either the condenser or the radiator and, if so, which is eaasier?

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 08-16-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Registered SVX

Huskymaniac:

Within this thread you have stated that you have an engineering degree. Therefore some may accept that all of what post is exactly true. In this respect they should be very cautious.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Huskymaniac:

Within this thread you have stated that you have an engineering degree. Therefore some may accept that all of what post is exactly true. In this respect they should be very cautious.
That's fine. What part do you find inaccurate?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
That's fine. What part do you find inaccurate?
Sorry, but at the moment I do not have the time or inclination to sort out the rather overly complicated text involved. I was brief for good reason.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Let me help you Trevor... We could start with this question from huskyguy! "Does anyone know where the ATF cooling lines are on the OEM radiator?"

I had to read this question 10 times to believe it.

Now I think I should just go back to bed...

Keith