Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Finally picked up my 96 SVX. Temp gauge moves around a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Here is a fuzzy picture of both sensors.
If you remove the plastic cover over the back of the manifold. Then stand next to the driver side front wheel and look up under the intake manifold and you will see what Tom pictured.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying Trevor. Please elaborate.
I say again --- "I think you have been logical all through this issue and have now written your own answer. Automotive gauges are produced at a price and are not designed to provide exact calibrated accuracy."

I said --- I think that you have been correct/right from the beginning. You have properly used common sense and your ideas have been correct all along. (From the start and before you posted your query.) You have now posted the answer to your own question and again you have shown that from the beginning you have known what is most likely to have been wrong. That is that the gauge has probably been reading/indicating inaccurately/wrongly/badly and is giving a low reading. Gauges for cars are made cheaply and are not scientific instruments. They only indicate/say cold, medium, hot, or too hot.

I now point out --- The gauge could be off in calibration, (reading incorrectly/wrong) or the sensor unit faulty and sending an incorrect/wrong signal. The associated circuit, [The wires connecting the gauge to the sensor, the wires supplying the voltage, the source of the voltage (place where it comes from.) and all the connections involved, (anything connecting things.) could have been faulty/bad. There could have been a something intermittent (sometimes good, sometimes bad) in any of these items, (This stuff.) causing the gauge to be erratic, (Move up and down for no reason.) which you now appear to have corrected/fixed.

In any event, both you and Keith should purchase/buy a dictionary, (Book advising on the meaning of words.) or otherwise, rattle your dags.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Thanks for the "words" of support Trevor. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to when you said I had written my own answer. I tend to ramble and sometimes I don't communicate my thoughts clearly.

svxfiles,

I checked their website and used their parts selector tool and that first part did not come up. Maybe their parts selector tool is not so great.

Is that sensor screwed into the engine or does it actually go through the wall all the way into the coolant path? I am an electrical/optical engineer but I am surprisingly hesitant to DIY on my own cars. I tend to leave it to the people with experience and who are skilled in this area. This does seem pretty easy though.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

By the way, how do you guys attach pictures? I have something else to show you. Do I just use the attach files button below this?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
I checked their website and used their parts selector tool and that first part did not come up. Maybe their parts selector tool is not so great.
And slow. Just give them a call.
Quote:
Is that sensor screwed into the engine or does it actually go through the wall all the way into the coolant path? This does seem pretty easy though.
It is screwed into the coolant crossover tube under the intake manifold.
Just remove the wire connection, (its a blade terminal so it pulls right off) use a 12mm deep socket on a 6" extention and unscrew it and replace it with a new one.
Do it while the engine is cold.
You will lose a little coolant so be prepared to switch them quickly.

You don't want any animals do drink the green coolade!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
By the way, how do you guys attach pictures? I have something else to show you. Do I just use the attach files button below this?
It has to be embed code if im not mistaken. You can get this if you upload to photobucket first.

The coolant temp sender and sensor are very easy, dont waste your money on having someone else do it.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
It has to be embed code if im not mistaken. You can get this if you upload to photobucket first.

The coolant temp sender and sensor are very easy, dont waste your money on having someone else do it, UNLESS its svxfiles!.

Fixed your post!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for the "words" of support Trevor. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to when you said I had written my own answer. I tend to ramble and sometimes I don't communicate my thoughts clearly.
I was surprised to see your previous post and query, as you have shown throughout the thread that you have your head screwed on. However that by Keith Wren was no surprise.

As usual, the Loan Ranger fan with head cross threaded, was clearly intent on no more than once again nastily recording and observing his own name in print. (N.B. Not to be confused with Tonto or Silver. )

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

In any event, both you and Keith should purchase/buy a dictionary, (Book advising on the meaning of words.) or otherwise, rattle your dags.
Don't fall into that purchase/buy a dictionary Huskyguy!

Obviously Trevor, apparently not the owner of one, is desperate to borrow a dictionary to see what he is really posting with his copy-paste syndrome He needs to get his own dictionary...

Keith
Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Don't fall into that purchase/buy a dictionary Huskyguy!

Obviously Trevor, apparently not the owner of one, is desperate to borrow a dictionary to see what he is really posting with his copy-paste syndrome He needs to get his own dictionary...

Keith
Keith, please:

In due course I am confident that all I have advised within this thread will be proven correct.

N.B. It is now patently clear that your obstructive comments, designed for no other purpose than to gain attention, have become so numerous and continuous that the technical section as a whole is adversely effected. (For the illiterate --- Everyone can see the nasty crap you post is stuffing up the tech. stuff. )

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I hope you are right Trevor. I should find out tomorrow if it was the sender unit. If not, I am inclined to think the next most likely culprit is the gauge itself but, man, I don't want to rip apart the dash to get to it. Hopefully it is just the sender unit. Then I can move on to changing the ATF over to Redline D4. I am trying it out on my Tribeca next week for the 60K service. From what I have read, synthetics in the tranny and differentials buys you more than synthetic motor oil. For the motor oil, I switched over to Pennzoil High Mileage. I have heard great things about it.

Now, assuming all goes well with the other stuff, what do I do to get rid of "old car smell"?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I hope you are right Trevor. I should find out tomorrow if it was the sender unit. If not, I am inclined to think the next most likely culprit is the gauge itself but, man, I don't want to rip apart the dash to get to it. Hopefully it is just the sender unit. Then I can move on to changing the ATF over to Redline D4. I am trying it out on my Tribeca next week for the 60K service. From what I have read, synthetics in the tranny and differentials buys you more than synthetic motor oil. For the motor oil, I switched over to Pennzoil High Mileage. I have heard great things about it.

Now, assuming all goes well with the other stuff, what do I do to get rid of "old car smell"?
Careful, you have given Keith the opening to jump in with more stupidity.

Therefore in anticipation, I point out that my advice was and is, that you should make sure that the temperature gauge is not faulty before deciding that something more expensive is involved. Something you confirm that you obviously knew all along, on the basis of common sense.

As far as the smell is concerned, Keith will no doubt tell you to get a new car.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

As far as the smell is concerned, Keith will no doubt tell you to get a new car.
Another option would be to air it out for about a month and not ever let Trevor sit in it again.

Keith
Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Gads this is frustrating. So we replaced the temperature sender unit today and now the gauge is reading high. Anyone know what the midpoint of the gauge is supposed to correspond to for actual temperature? The mechanic thinks the carquest temp sender might not be accurate enough and now ordered a Subaru part. The reason is that the ECU was reporting 195F while the gauge was reading pretty high. In the mean time, I am now really concerned because what WAS a low temperature reading is now a high temperature reading and I don't know if I should be worried about actual overheating/air in the system or not. It didn't enter the red zone, even after a hill climb and I never noticed the A/C shut off. Maybe the mechanic is right but my anxiety levels just went up another notch. The new sender won't be here until Thursday.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Oh yeah, how do I know if I had air trapped in the system? If I open the radiator cap after the engine cools and I don't see coolant, is that a sign?