Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 AM

Transmission shift program review

Having a fwd svx means I will always get the good stuff last.I've had my reprogrammed tcu for a few weeks now very impressed overall.I got my shift points increased to 7000rpm in each gear.Torque converter lockup occurs now in 1st thru 3rd and there is a slight acceleration difference.Manual mode is great,now when you shift in manual mode regardless of throttle position you get upshifts whereas before if you were in second and floored and shifted to third at say 4000 the car would continue to 6500 and shift.I was trying to wait to purchase a svx afm before getting some track numbers but last thursday night my 1/8 mile did dropped from 9.63 to a 9.58@72.6 mph 1/4 was 15.0 @90mph.I think the legacy meter does lose power up top.I use to run 93 to 94 mph.Also that was with my accy belts off.I ran the 15 flat with a off idle launch with all accessory belts on so I feel the car is very 14.7 capable.The car is turning 7000 rpm right at the finish line in second gear,also I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance.I will get another tcu done later with 7200 rpm in each gear.I still have a Quickshift install also,driving range is still around 385-400 miles with the cruise on 70mph.Again I am very impressed with the mod.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission shift program review

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
Having a fwd svx means I will always get the good stuff last.I've had my reprogrammed tcu for a few weeks now very impressed overall.I got my shift points increased to 7000rpm in each gear.Torque converter lockup occurs now in 1st thru 3rd and there is a slight acceleration difference.Manual mode is great,now when you shift in manual mode regardless of throttle position you get upshifts whereas before if you were in second and floored and shifted to third at say 4000 the car would continue to 6500 and shift.I was trying to wait to purchase a svx afm before getting some track numbers but last thursday night my 1/8 mile did dropped from 9.63 to a 9.58@72.6 mph 1/4 was 15.0 @90mph.I think the legacy meter does lose power up top.I use to run 93 to 94 mph.Also that was with my accy belts off.I ran the 15 flat with a off idle launch with all accessory belts on so I feel the car is very 14.7 capable.The car is turning 7000 rpm right at the finish line in second gear,also I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance.I will get another tcu done later with 7200 rpm in each gear.I still have a Quickshift install also,driving range is still around 385-400 miles with the cruise on 70mph.Again I am very impressed with the mod.
I predict a differential or transmission issue in your future

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I predict a differential or transmission issue in your future
Great, way to ruin his day, jerk...

I was going to tell him the same thing, lol.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Registered SVX

"I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance."

I thought manual mode just makes it NOT use first gear?

What happens when you put the selector in 1 and push manual?

You manually move the shifter from 1 to 2 to 3?

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 06-08-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
"I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance."

I thought manual mode just makes it NOT use first gear?

What happens when you put the selector in 1 and push manual?
It will hold first gear until 6500 RPM or something around there and then it will override it into 2nd.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Registered SVX

Doesn't it hold first till redline then shift to second without the manual button being on also?

I thought manual mode made the car always want to be in second gear...I got a lot to learn about this tranny.
Hopefully it will die soon and I can go back to a 5 speed.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Doesn't it hold first till redline then shift to second without the manual button being on also?

I thought manual mode made the car always want to be in second gear...I got a lot to learn about this tranny.
Hopefully it will die soon and I can go back to a 5 speed.
Yes to your first question, and only in the "2" position or higher with manual depressed will it never go into 1st gear. If you don't believe me, play around and have some fun. And if you prove me wrong, all I have to say is its been almost 2 years since I last checked it all out. Although, I could check it out in 1 of the 2 SVX sitting in front of my house
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Well out of the 14 years of ownership I have never blew a diff on motor.Twice I blew them on nos with drag radials,the first was trying to backup a 13 second pass years ago.Since then I have always used royal purple gear lube great stuff.To answer another question I put the car in D1 and push the manual button and the car will shift each gear at 7000rpm shift and constant 2.2 60ft times not bad for a heavy fwd car.This was just a little review I did for some guys that did some good work on my TCU.Also this car don't see much track time now because I know what a properly prepped svx will do high 14s on motor and 13s with forced induction.My daily driver is a 88 toyota pickup while svx get driven about twice a month.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well out of the 14 years of ownership I have never blew a diff on motor.Twice I blew them on nos with drag radials,the first was trying to backup a 13 second pass years ago.Since then I have always used royal purple gear lube great stuff.To answer another question I put the car in D1 and push the manual button and the car will shift each gear at 7000rpm shift and constant 2.2 60ft times not bad for a heavy fwd car.This was just a little review I did for some guys that did some good work on my TCU.Also this car don't see much track time now because I know what a properly prepped svx will do high 14s on motor and 13s with forced induction.My daily driver is a 88 toyota pickup while svx get driven about twice a month.
Ask me how I know about front diffs being broke on FWD. All i was stating is regardless of what gear oil you use you use the manual button like that you will have issues. I am glad you are enjoying the SVX I was just attempting to warn you that will break something.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
I've had my reprogrammed tcu for a few weeks now very impressed overall.
Again I am very impressed with the mod.
I'm glad you're pleased with it.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Walter has been dragging that svx for many years now and still holds the fastest FWD svx 1/4 mile record. He's well aware that what he's doing might or might not break something more.

Thanks for the review. One of these days I'll make it back to the other greenville and we'll have to meet up again
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

My apologies if what I said came off rude. If you know what you are doing then have fun . I was looking into getting an upgraded TCU for FWD before the 5spd. I'd like to see your run one day. Greenville is only 2hrs away.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM

No offense was taken at all.I was going to make a trip to Hope Mills and have lunch and swap ideas.I am buying a svx afm and also getting ready to purchase a new radiator just trying to keep the car road ready.It may be a few weeks after a little maint. is taken care of.I am just still amazed at what our cars are capable of.gotta get back to work.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
No offense was taken at all.I was going to make a trip to Hope Mills and have lunch and swap ideas.I am buying a svx afm and also getting ready to purchase a new radiator just trying to keep the car road ready.It may be a few weeks after a little maint. is taken care of.I am just still amazed at what our cars are capable of.gotta get back to work.
If you are going for a radiator go with the PWR. I have it and we noticed a great drop in trans temp compared to stock. Plus don't have to worry about the tanks splitting.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Walter has been dragging that svx for many years now and still holds the fastest FWD svx 1/4 mile record. He's well aware that what he's doing might or might not break something more.

Thanks for the review. One of these days I'll make it back to the other greenville and we'll have to meet up again
Yes, Walter is fast for sure, a legend on the Net for a long time
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117