SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Carbon fiber hood and trunks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilsvx View Post
i dont think our trunks are light at all. btw how much weight will be cf hood since our hoods are heavy. im interest on this since taking some pounds from our cars is worth it.
They are very heavy. Especialy when the gas struts go
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 AM

What little I know about carbon fiber came from watching the Discovery Channel, but it doesn't take an expert to know that fabricating a proper replacement for an SVX trunk lid would be no minor feat of engineering.

Y'all do know that replacing the hood and trunk probably compromises crashworthiness while gaining you nothing but a lighter wallet, right?

dcb
Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Y'all do know that replacing the hood and trunk probably compromises crashworthiness while gaining you nothing but a lighter wallet, right?

dcb
And a vehicle that would be about 75-ish lbs. lighter

If both a hood and a trunk were offered and were quality fitting products I would be interested in both...

(doesn't hold breath)
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
And a vehicle that would be about 75-ish lbs. lighter
Which would give you an immeasurably-small benefit in fuel economy or elapsed time between redlights.

dcb
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Our trunks are light? Nope.
That must be after applying that Fiber Glass Vinyl!

Our trunk lids feel heavy due to the way they are mounted... the fulcrum point has a deep offset thus makes it feel heavy... Now please strip it down and remove the spoiler... and put it on the scale.

Thanks!
-Sov13t.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Of all the parts on the car important to providing crash protecting, I think the trunk lid is very far down on that list if at all.

And losing nearly 100 lbs would be very significant on a car as heavy as ours.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Of all the parts on the car important to providing crash protecting, I think the trunk lid is very far down on that list if at all.

And losing nearly 100 lbs would be very significant on a car as heavy as ours.
Agreed, the FG trunk is not going to do anything usefull in rear end collisions for these cars especially if you've ever seen pictures of one rearended, and as far as the hood, they don't provide any structural support either-even metal ones will just fold up if you are in a front collision.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post

Our trunk lids feel heavy due to the way they are mounted... the fulcrum point has a deep offset thus makes it feel heavy... Now please strip it down and remove the spoiler... and put it on the scale.

Thanks!
-Sov13t.
Lol, now I get it, you must have been trying to achieve Joke of the Year 2009. For your knowledge, there is no such thing as "Fiber Glass Vinyl" since the FIBERGLASS has no pattern. Only Carbon Fiber has a pattern.

I am not gonna argue with you on the weight thing, I admit you know more than I do.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 09-14-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Agreed, the FG trunk is not going to do anything usefull in rear end collisions for these cars especially if you've ever seen pictures of one rearended, and as far as the hood, they don't provide any structural support either-even metal ones will just fold up if you are in a front collision.
Yes, the hood is designed to fold in a crash; point made.

The trunk? Well, y'all are probably right. Doesn't change the fact that this is one odd expenditure. Fifty pounds, 100 pounds... and not one microscopic iota of discernible difference unless your doing some serious racing. These cars cost enough to keep on the road as it is. Grumpy geezer advice: Put that dough into a transmission/wheel bearing/head gasket fund.

dcb
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Quote:
Grumpy geezer advice: Put that dough into a transmission/wheel bearing/head gasket fund.

dcb
But Daaaaadddd...

It looks so cool!!!!!

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post

Thanks!
-Sov13t.
Having swapped my trunk on and off about 4 times in the last month I would guess it weighs around 35ish lbs with no spoiler or struts... I can get a scale and a an exact reading later tonight...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Which would give you an immeasurably-small benefit in fuel economy or elapsed time between redlights.

dcb
I do not care about fuel economy one iota in this car.. If I did I would have kept it pretty much stock... Also, only idiots race red light to red light.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Having swapped my trunk on and off about 4 times in the last month I would guess it weighs around 35ish lbs with no spoiler or struts... I can get a scale and a an exact reading later tonight...
Quote:
I do not care about fuel economy one iota in this car.. If I did I would have kept it pretty much stock... Also, only idiots race red light to red light.
Only once I have seen a carbon fibre hood for a Subaru WRX, I picked it up and it weighed around 10 lbs. I guess if we convert the SVX trunk to CF, it should weigh maximum around 13 lbs which is excellent in my opinion.

Concerning the looks, one can always paint it black not to look so ricey especially on the SVX.

But I guess you will might all loose the "spoiler" privilege, since its weight and the pressure cause by air flow might crack it with time (I might be wrong here, sorry no experience with that material before...).

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 AM

Registered SVX

If I could find the bath room scales I would weigh the boot lid, spoiler, and bonnet That I have spare. Would give a approxment weight
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 PM

I want a hood that bumps up, instead of dent down. then add air outletts in the rear...that would be worth $600 right there for me.