Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: I hate unknown noises...

It really doesnt have to do anything with braking your right. It can occur at anytime. Mine just started when I was driving down the road. Started hearing a faint "tick tick tick". It got louder and then I stopped driving it. On the way to Base to get it fix it went out.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
Well no despite the symptoms, the circumstances wouldn't suggest out of oil or broken diff in my opinion.

I'd be looking for something that could have been caused by hard braking.... and that isn't broken teeth. Have you had the wheels off and checked there isn't anything rubbing against the brake rotor's cooling fins?

"sounds more like plastic on metal"... something in the wheel trim?
You are right, it doesn't look like the circumstances present would caused a front diff failure... I did not read through the whole description earlier...

Tom
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM

Well thanks for that Guys. I've been accused of arguing on another forum!

I think, from the description of the symptoms AND the circumstances, that it could be something quite superficial("plastic on steel"), perhaps something that has moved with the hard braking on the cobblestone surface. If it does prove to be serious mechanical damage my guess would be a wheel-bearing has taken a shock and there is a dent in the race.

Then again, I've been a mechanic long enough to know that things aren't always logical, or in accordance with theory.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:

I think, from the description of the symptoms AND the circumstances, that it could be something quite superficial("plastic on steel"), perhaps something that has moved with the hard braking on the cobblestone surface. If it does prove to be serious mechanical damage my guess would be a wheel-bearing has taken a shock and there is a dent in the race.

Then again, I've been a mechanic long enough to know that things aren't always logical, or in accordance with theory.
By all i means I'm not attempting to argue it is his front diff. I am far from a mechanic but I know what happened when mine went out. I do hope it isnt. I was just advising what I went through. I am curious if it is more of a tick tick tick that varies with speed or not.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Quote:

Front wheel bearing was something I was considering... but would it just fail like that? I thought the back ones were the only notorious ones on these cars...

And I haven't even had to swap my rear ones out. Also, I thought wheel bearings made more of a high-pitched whirring noise, and this certainly isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
By all i means I'm not attempting to argue it is his front diff. I am far from a mechanic but I know what happened when mine went out. I do hope it isnt. I was just advising what I went through. I am curious if it is more of a tick tick tick that varies with speed or not.
It does vary with speed. It not only gets louder with speed, but it gets considerably faster. I haven't taken it above 55, as I'm afraid to blow something up , but between 10MPH and 55, it varies alot. The sound doesn't change, but as stated, it becomes much more rapid, and it gets a little louder.

I wish I could just figure out what is wrong so I can just go ahead and order the part from YT.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX

cracked flexplate perhaps/
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Ahem..... would I be a total jerk in asking if the OP had checked for a rock in his tire treads ?? This ticking business has happened to me plenty of times after driving on rough roads.... depending on thickness of treads. Hey its easier than ripping out the front diff right

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Ha yes... always check the simple things first!

The bearing would take a heck of a knock to put a dent in it, but it is something that can make a clicking noise sometimes... normally when they are old and they are beguining to shed bits of metal off the race... if it is just in one place they can make a click as the bearing rolls over it.

The clicking from a bearing would be a bit more solid sounding that the poster is describing though... I think.

A wheel bearing should be fairly easy to find. jack the car up and check the wheels for play. Then spin them. If there is no noise or if you want to make a noise louder try and pull the wheel up at the bottom as you spin it, it might put a load on the dent. If you think you can hear a noise but can't tell where it is coming from then put your finger tips on the wheel hub, inside where the bearings are as near as possible, and see if you can feel a clicking.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Ahem..... would I be a total jerk in asking if the OP had checked for a rock in his tire treads ?? This ticking business has happened to me plenty of times after driving on rough roads.... depending on thickness of treads. Hey its easier than ripping out the front diff right

I feel like an idiot, but no I didn't even think to check it. I will though!

Quote:
Ha yes... always check the simple things first!

The bearing would take a heck of a knock to put a dent in it, but it is something that can make a clicking noise sometimes... normally when they are old and they are beguining to shed bits of metal off the race... if it is just in one place they can make a click as the bearing rolls over it.

The clicking from a bearing would be a bit more solid sounding that the poster is describing though... I think.

A wheel bearing should be fairly easy to find. jack the car up and check the wheels for play. Then spin them. If there is no noise or if you want to make a noise louder try and pull the wheel up at the bottom as you spin it, it might put a load on the dent. If you think you can hear a noise but can't tell where it is coming from then put your finger tips on the wheel hub, inside where the bearings are as near as possible, and see if you can feel a clicking.
Ok I'll try and check that too. But you are correct, I do feel a bearing would be a little more solid sounding, or more of a metal on metal clank than what I have.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
It does vary with speed. It not only gets louder with speed, but it gets considerably faster. I haven't taken it above 55, as I'm afraid to blow something up , but between 10MPH and 55, it varies alot. The sound doesn't change, but as stated, it becomes much more rapid, and it gets a little louder.

I wish I could just figure out what is wrong so I can just go ahead and order the part from YT.
Meah I'll go ahead and tell you that exactly what mine did. I hope its not. Let us know what you find out.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM

Alright. All I had to do was pull the dipstick on the diff and the problem is apparent.

You can see here how the fluid not only looks like ATF, but it is WELL over the full line.

So this means that I've got a leak in a gasket connecting the bellhousing to the front diff?

Can anyone elaborate on this? Which one is leaking? Is my tranny now harmed having lost all this fluid?

Any more info on this would be great. I'd love to use this as an excuse to 5spd, but I don't have the funds for even a new diff.

We'll have to see I guess.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM

That's the transmission dipstick; the differential dipstick is on the other side, down low.

dcb
Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM

Oh.

I thought it was supposed to be on the other side, but I couldn't find it...

Is it easier to locate under the car?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Just found the diff dipstick.

Says diff on it... Duh. Go me

Its SLIGHTLY over F, but not excessively so. Not like the tranny dipstick. Didn't see any metal shavings either. Not sure where this leaves me - I know the sound is exactly what everyone else describes as thier tranny going, but it seems I can't get any evidence without draining the diff. I really hate to drain it and then put new fluid back into a bad diff.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Just found the diff dipstick.

Says diff on it... Duh. Go me

Its SLIGHTLY over F, but not excessively so. Not like the tranny dipstick. Didn't see any metal shavings either. Not sure where this leaves me - I know the sound is exactly what everyone else describes as thier tranny going, but it seems I can't get any evidence without draining the diff. I really hate to drain it and then put new fluid back into a bad diff.
Lol I did the same think before it went out. I drained it and replaced it. I hope its not for your shake