Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
"Precious Reduex"

I wanted to start a thread for my overhaul, since many of you have already have or want to do it, I welcome all to make suggestions or throw any Ideas out there.

Spent nearly all weekend in preparation for paint. I think I got all that I can removed before I tow her in. I contemplated a silver bottom two tone Idea but being an anniversary I didnt want to tamper to much, then again its getting a 5 speed...dont know yet.

Any suggestions for what I should tell the body shop? I need it to last forever and ever. Brand of paint? coats? clear coats? Im not sure what to ask for as I have not done this yet.

Dam its ugly!

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click

Last edited by RSVX; 09-08-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: "precious Reduex"

I dunno, maybe today I am not feeling good, but is your car Burgundy or Red?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 AM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I dunno, maybe today I am not feeling good, but is your car Burgundy or Red?
Its red, just like the other 299 of them

the clearcoat has been peeling very severely badly majorly totally.

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
Its red, just like the other 299 of them

the clearcoat has been peeling very severely badly majorly totally.
Well first of all you should be looking for a good bodyshop place. They are the experts in this and not you and me.

I am no expert in this, but sometimes when you look at paintjobs on cars, especially silver, you can notice a difference in color from one part to another. This is due to the fact that they save on materials in some areas of a car where they leave small dots and spots on bondo and do not apply the basecoat before paint. The final paintjob would look dark in some spots and light in other....

This subject has been opened before on the forum, I say again I am no expert in this, but for my next paintjob I will ask for the following:

- Doing the bodywork first.
- Applying bondo and sanding it
- Applying the basecoat, twice.
- Sanding it again and check for issues
- Applying bondo again and sanding it.
- Two basecoats again, sanding them to perfection
- Two coats of dark silver
- Checking for issues, maybe sanding it if any imperfections exist
- Four layers of Silver
- Four layers of clearcoat
- Sanding (1500) the clearcoat and remove bugs and impurities
- One final layer of clearcoat
- After a month, polishing the car.

I think one of the good brands you have is Dupont, but German paints are reputed to having the smallest paint particules and best in the world. The smaller the particule the smoother the paint looks and feels Factory

I again say I might be wrong, I am no expert in this, I think you should be asking Jerry...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 AM

uuhhhhhhhhhhh....no.

if you are doing a complete paint job and having a bodyshop do it...the entire car will match. The color just doesn't come from one can, the mix several different components on a scale to get the color that you are looking for. Silver and White hide imperfections in the bodywork rather well where as black and red make it really stand out. The quality of the paint job depends on the quality of the prep work. If you have dents, fix them. Do NOT put bondo over a newly painted base coat...ever...you want good adhesion to the body. You'll want to make sure that all the old clear coat and some of the orignal paint is sanded down smooth. Do not go all the way to the metal, again you want a good base for the new product to ADHERE too. Unless you are doing welding or have major dents you might just want to invest in some Glaze. (I use Dolphin brand...it sets up quick and sands easy. I also use Rage plastic filler, bondo is cheap and gross)

Spend the money and get a good primer. $150-250/gallon good primer. You should only need 1 can. Once this has been sprayed you can block and sand to make the panels perfect. Repainting an entire car is some serious labor.

This era of cars all have delamination (or adhesion failure) problems with the paint. This is because the whole industry tried to cut weight and basically watered down the paint from the factory.

Again, plan on spending literally days, if not weeks prepping the car for paint. If you do this, even a cheapy Maaco paint job will work and look great.

Good luck in your project.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
word words wording

Sorry, my wording may have been misleading. Im going to let the body shop do all of the paint work. Have them fill in the dents and do all the sanding, everything.

I just wanted to get it to the point where they wont have to dismantle anything.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Network Design Administrator

Precious really deserves this! I am glad you have the means that I did not!

The only color change I ever toyed with was the black/red. But then it is an anniversary edition.

I cant wait to see her when shes done.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

If you just want to dismantle it for them remove the bumpers, and if they are going to spray the door jambs remove all of the interior panels that are touching the jamb. Other than that you pretty much have everything off. Good luck.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-08-2008, 04:45 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Precious really deserves this! I am glad you have the means that I did not!

The only color change I ever toyed with was the black/red. But then it is an anniversary edition.

I cant wait to see her when shes done.
me neither, sorry it took so long for me to start it. I feel very motivated to complete her before reading. I already know im going to love this car...it has the smell...Ive only smelled it on one other car I owned but thats now my wifes car. its a strong leathery scent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
If you just want to dismantle it for them remove the bumpers, and if they are going to spray the door jambs remove all of the interior panels that are touching the jamb. Other than that you pretty much have everything off. Good luck.
The bumpers are basically removed just 2 17mm bolts in each one that have already been out, but they holding them on for transport.

Will the door jambs need to be painted? Its going to stay the same color, so I didnt think it would be needed?

The body shop im taking it too does outstanding work. Ive seen a totaled car reborn though them. If you didnt know it was totaled you wouldnt have known.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I say door jambs because sometimes they can get scratches and stuff in them and now would be a good time to do them if they are. But if you don't need the jambs painted they will probably use foam tape to fill the gap in between the quarter panel and door which will leave a nasty rough edge which will have to be hand rubbed with compound to get is smooth, This is something to watch for. I'm restoring mine myself as we speak and doing and overall paintjob myself but 2 tone, Hopefully by Reading also. Good luck.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: "Precious Reduex"

also will want to remove the outer weatherstripping along the door and rear quarter glass. Definately don't want the paintshop to just mask that portion off...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Eric,

I sent you some pertinent info via PM. I hope it helps.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrizz View Post
Silver and White hide imperfections in the bodywork rather well where as black and red make it really stand out. The quality of the paint job depends on the quality of the prep work. If you have dents, fix them. Do NOT put bondo over a newly painted base coat...ever...you want good adhesion to the body. You'll want to make sure that all the old clear coat and some of the orignal paint is sanded down smooth. Do not go all the way to the metal, again you want a good base for the new product to ADHERE too. Unless you are doing welding or have major dents you might just want to invest in some Glaze. (I use Dolphin brand...it sets up quick and sands easy. I also use Rage plastic filler, bondo is cheap and gross)
As I said again, I recommend you apply a dark color before Red and check it out for imperfections. Maybe a burgundy will do the trick.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 AM

SilverSpear

The base coat should be "PRIMER" you can tint it a shade of the color you are going for. I think you are getting your "BASE COAT" and your "GUIDE COAT" terminology mixed up.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrizz View Post
SilverSpear

The base coat should be "PRIMER" you can tint it a shade of the color you are going for. I think you are getting your "BASE COAT" and your "GUIDE COAT" terminology mixed up.

That we agree on... Primer, base coat, etc... but after the final Primer/base coat you should apply a dark color ie Burgundy, check for imperfections (on a dark actual paint color), then do the red one...