Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
pick up a used SVX tranny for 500, have it put in for another 500. That's 1 grand or less right there - less than the 1500 you said.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
Trevor, If you have any hidden secret on how to save this transmission, please share it. then I took the pan off, It looked like a silver soup, the magnet was completely full, and looked like a crustacean that you would find on the bottom of the sea. It wont shift into any gear past 2end, The way that I look at this, is that if it cost anymore then 1500 to fix, I need to move on to another car, guys, I cant even afford to put a new windshield in the thing. How much should I ask for the car you think?

jon
Jon,

My intention has been to save you money. There is no hidden secret, but it is very much worthwhile to make sure there is not a relatively inexpensive fix. It would be well worthwhile to check the brake band in the hope that adjustment is available.

My car has shown grey soup like deposit when the pan gas been cleaned and I have been reliably advised that this as a normal sign of expected wear and tear.

I leave you to your own devices. A new owner could be a lucky guy.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Black '93 SVX

Send a message via AIM to Jon Neely Send a message via MSN to Jon Neely Send a message via Yahoo to Jon Neely
Is there a tutorial available to show how and where to adjust the brake band?
I know you guys are trying to help, and I appreciate all of it, dont get me wrong, It just has been a frustrating week, on top of it my car that I love has taken a dump.

Jon
Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
Is there a tutorial available to show how and where to adjust the brake band?
I know you guys are trying to help, and I appreciate all of it, dont get me wrong, It just has been a frustrating week, on top of it my car that I love has taken a dump.

Jon
No problems Jon, don't throw in the towel just yet.

Have a check in the how too section where as I recall there is detailed advice. Not exspensive, but the procedure is rather awkward. Well worth a try, particularly in your circumstances.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:31 PM

only problem is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
pick up a used SVX tranny for 500, have it put in for another 500. That's 1 grand or less right there - less than the 1500 you said.
That is what you have now... A "used tranny"

Not a good idea... since a used one you find even with $1,000.00 installed may not work and if it does, may not last a week
You would still be out the $1,000.00 anyway.
Just my 2-cents worth.
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 04-22-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added... You would still be out the $1,000.00 eitherway.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Black '93 SVX

Send a message via AIM to Jon Neely Send a message via MSN to Jon Neely Send a message via Yahoo to Jon Neely
car is up for sale here, http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...d=1#post543488

sorry guys to puss out, but honestly, I have no time to be working with a car like this, It would be too time consuming and for a guy that is holding a job and taking 20 units, its a bit much, I will be moving to a focus ZX3, please don't throw too much food at me, hate to see it go, but hey, some one can get a killer deal on a SVX right?

Best wishes, and thanks for the all the help.

Jon
Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Best of luck selling her Jon.

It's a tasty car. Well, at least your aunt's dog thinks it is anyway.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Just in case you have had second thoughts on selling it....You should have no problems getting ahold of a low mileage transmission imported from japan. If you are pretty handy with mechanics (or if you learn fast) you can do a transmission swap in your driveway.
Last year I bought an svx with..Well,a black one with 175k miles and a bad trans, ironicly enough. But anyhow, I got a very very close to new transmission out of a legacy that a local importer had no use for. I picked the trans up for 250 and got a matching rear for 30$ out of the junk yard. not only is it as good as new, its BETTER than new
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten