Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-12-2008, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Slow start

Before I start tossing parts at the car, I would like to get some other peoples opinions.

I have been having a "Slow starting" issue with my car. It cranks normally, but takes a lot longer to start than it should. A shop that I had my oil changed at checked the Alternator and it showed it wasn't putting out anything. Then I took the car a few days ago to an Advance auto parts and had them check the battery/alternator and everything tested fine.

A couple nights ago, I was out driving around and after one of the slow starting episodes, the lights where dim and the clock wasn't illuminating until I got on the highway. Then everything was fine.

The other day, the clock kept getting dim/bright while I was driving. Pushing the button on the end of the turn signal did not help to make it brighter. But I am not getting any check engine lights, battery lights or anything like that.

Today I took it to another auto parts store to have it tested after driving around for a while, Alternator and battery once again tested fine, but he said there was about a 1k drop in RPM's while I was holding the accelerator down around 2k rpm's.

Another note: sometimes when it is having the "slow start" issue, if I give it some gas, it seems to start better. Or when the car does start, it seems like it wants to die until I rev it up. This happens at any time throughout the day. When it is Warm or Cold.

Battery was bought around 9 months ago, Starter was replaced around 3 months ago and the fuel pump was replaced around the same time.

Does it sound like the Alternator is going out?
Or does it sound more like a fuel related/sensor related issue?
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd
Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
It sounds to me like you have a bad battery.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Registered SVX
You have stated, “It cranks normally”, also ” Today I took it to another auto parts store to have it tested after driving around for a while, Alternator and battery once again tested fine,” Therefore one must presume that the battery and alternator are OK.

“he said there was about a 1k drop in RPM's while I was holding the accelerator down around 2k rpm's.” also “sometimes when it is having the "slow start" issue, if I give it some gas, it seems to start better.” This makes one consider the TPS as a possible culprit.

“The other day, the clock kept getting dim/bright while I was driving. Pushing the button on the end of the turn signal did not help to make it brighter. But I am not getting any check engine lights, battery lights or anything like that.” Strange indeed if nothing else associated is occurring.

If you can add any more clues this could help.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:40 AM

Looked like you left a bunch of clues to me!

Just Kidding Trevor!!
that is a tough call.
Sometimes a bad alternator will check ok and next time not work
I am sure you have nice clean, tight battery connectors.

Might consider putting a volt meter on the battery and testing the voltage before and during the hard to start thing?

That could tell us a lot about the starter, battery being properly charged and even the battery itself!
Just a few things eliminated should be nice

Good luck
Old 04-13-2008, 01:07 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Just Kidding Trevor!!
that is a tough call.
Sometimes a bad alternator will check ok and next time not work
I am sure you have nice clean, tight battery connectors.

Might consider putting a volt meter on the battery and testing the voltage before and during the hard to start thing?

That could tell us a lot about the starter, battery being properly charged and even the battery itself!
Just a few things eliminated should be nice

Good luck
No kidding Keith,

I could have raised all sorts of may be stuff, but so as not to start arguments I have learned to stick to the facts as written, rather than suggest a lack of diligence.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-13-2008, 05:11 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If you are going to Reading we can check it out there.
It "sounds like" an electrical problem.
I have seen a battery that tested good twenty times in a row, still be bad.
It could be those old brittle wires to the alternator have a break, or an occasional short.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Good choice, Trevor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
No kidding Keith,

I could have raised all sorts of may be stuff, but so as not to start arguments I have learned to stick to the facts as written, rather than suggest a lack of diligence.
More information is definitely needed. A lot of times, a person just has to be there! Sometimes just hearing the sound is even a great clue.

Take care,
Keith
Old 04-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Classic SVX
I just swapped the battery from my teal and polo, as the battery in the polo is new. I'll be driving it around tomorrow to see if that does anything. If it doesn't i'll take a video of the starting problem. And post up the "receipts" of the battery/alternator tests.

I could write a book on all the problems this car has given me.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of maybe the alternator is working intermittantly. Unfortunately I can't swap the Alternators as there is a broken bolt on the Polo's Alternator. I actually can't get it off of the car.

Only other thing I can think of that has happened is, about 1-2 weeks ago I came to a stop light after driving about 3 miles from home and the car died. It took a long time to start back up that time as well. That was the first and only time it has ever died while driving, i'm not sure if it is related to the problem or not.

It doesn't really have any other problems except the steering "goes out" occasionally. I was told my rack is bad causing that.

I'll post more info tomorrow.
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 04-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
If you are going to Reading we can check it out there.
It "sounds like" an electrical problem.
I have seen a battery that tested good twenty times in a row, still be bad.
It could be those old brittle wires to the alternator have a break, or an occasional short.
Tom
Thanks! I am planning on going to reading, but only for saturday afternoon. I am hoping to find the problem before reading, but if not, then I would very much appreciate you checking it out.
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace928 View Post
I just swapped the battery from my teal and polo, as the battery in the polo is new. I'll be driving it around tomorrow to see if that does anything. If it doesn't i'll take a video of the starting problem. And post up the "receipts" of the battery/alternator tests.

I could write a book on all the problems this car has given me.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of maybe the alternator is working intermittantly. Unfortunately I can't swap the Alternators as there is a broken bolt on the Polo's Alternator. I actually can't get it off of the car.

Only other thing I can think of that has happened is, about 1-2 weeks ago I came to a stop light after driving about 3 miles from home and the car died. It took a long time to start back up that time as well. That was the first and only time it has ever died while driving, i'm not sure if it is related to the problem or not.

It doesn't really have any other problems except the steering "goes out" occasionally. I was told my rack is bad causing that.

I'll post more info tomorrow.
There have been cases recorded in the past where tests by “experts “ have not disclosed intermittent alternator faults.

When you say the car “took a long time to start back up that time as well”, at the time did the starter motor crank at normal speed? If so alternator and battery faults can surely be ruled out.

If there is a cranking problem the alternator could be involved. You now report power steering problems, which makes one suspect a possible loose drive belt. Easy to check and rule out.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
There have been cases recorded in the past where tests by “experts “ have not disclosed intermittent alternator faults.

When you say the car “took a long time to start back up that time as well”, at the time did the starter motor crank at normal speed? If so alternator and battery faults can surely be ruled out.

If there is a cranking problem the alternator could be involved. You now report power steering problems, which makes one suspect a possible loose drive belt. Easy to check and rule out.

I am pretty sure it cranked normally at first. But because it took so long it was starting to get weak after a few attempts.

Belt is definately easy to check and i'll do that tomorrow when i'm messing around with the car. I am pretty sure though, it is the rack. It makes a "grinding" that you can definately feel in the steering wheel and it goes into manual steering. Usually only happens when slowing down to an almost stop or slowing down to 15-25mph and turning.
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM

Classic SVX
I swapped the batteries in the 2 svx's and drove around today. I didn't have any problems all day until my last stop of the day, I then had the slow starting problem again. I am really thinking alternator at this point....
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace928 View Post
I swapped the batteries in the 2 svx's and drove around today. I didn't have any problems all day until my last stop of the day, I then had the slow starting problem again. I am really thinking alternator at this point....
At least you crossed one thing off of your list.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link