How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
If you get a new mobo, stay away from foxconn, as they're known to be a budget motherboard. My suggestions would be gigabyte, asus, msi. They make real nice boards i know for a fact.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Locker Link Solution

my "nice" computer is rocking an ASUS board... +1 to that, I love it.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
The reason I chose the Foxconn was because of the SLi support. If the motherboard is found to be fried then well, crap. I think flashing the BIOS is my only option. I have checked everything else. And no it will not find a OS if the HD is unplugged because it will go to Network boot or nothing if I disable it.

He hard drive is not bad I ran Western Digitals Program for testing for errors. Memory passed all test. Video Card was switched out. So Last guess is the Mobo like I said , I guess flashing it now.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
My current boards are gigabytes and asus. As far as stability I'm more of a fan of the Gigabytes because they seem to have more consistent reliability and performance out of the builds I've done. The Asus boards I run into seem to have strange anomolies that left a bad taste in my mouth. My only gripes are that the RMA process for both companies have taken me anywhere from 3-6 weeks.

My next board probably will be an Intel genuine. My source for parts is now an authorized intel provider. He is enrolled in a special program for resellers. If they make a warranty claim Intel overnights him another board instead of having to wait to send the old one in.

I lose out on being able to tweak some more advanced settings, but the increased uptime is now my newest priority.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Google those error codes...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
As for as PC's, well my future purchases from now on will be definitely IBM notebooks with their docking stations and flat 17" screens (or larger).

I had my share with "lego-ing" the internals once, won't do it again.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Yugo aficionado

Does your mobo have a pci express slot? If your trying to load XP, you need an installer with service pack 2 built in or all you'll get is the good ole BSOD. Had this prob last week on a friends comp. I this is your problem, disable the pci express in the bios, load windows, install SP2 and then re-enable the pci express.. You should list your hardware and os, I or others might be able to give you some other pointers with that info..
4:11 trans
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
Viper 550 HF Alarm/Remote Start
18" Enkei Evo5's

Last edited by Psychosis5150; 12-17-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosis5150 View Post
Does your mobo have a pci express slot? If your trying to load XP, you need an installer with service pack 2 built in or all you'll get is the good ole BSOD. Had this prob last week on a friends comp.
Yes and Yes

Also, got the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_FILE

So, idk at a loss.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Yugo aficionado

Well, it wont hurt to disable the pci and try the install. If all else fails strip it down to the mobo, hdd, ram, cd and then try an install. Esentially going with the minimal hardware needed to rule out all other potential problems. Good luck!
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
18" Enkei Evo5's
Old 12-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosis5150 View Post
Well, it wont hurt to disable the pci and try the install. If all else fails strip it down to the mobo, hdd, ram, cd and then try an install. Esentially going with the minimal hardware needed to rule out all other potential problems. Good luck!
But I did lol. I still am lost

Old 12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe FTW!!

It's a great multi-media board, pricey though. Includes wireless networking, remote control, and all the standard fancy things.

Were I to build a new computer right now, with no thought to money (I wish) this would be my platform: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...MBM-X38-QX9650

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Locker Link Solution

awesome board really, my asus only has a 2.88 though
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
SVX Owner

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I have a good UPS
And I only use Antec PSU's
Nobody can tell me why the 5v dies.
How much current are your USB devices drawing? 5v feeds USB. Really easy to overload. Might try a powered hub and see if that helps.
Tom
'99 Outback SUS, 2.5L, Winestone (Burgundy/Gray) [Daughter Killed it]
'02 Outback SUS VDC, 3.0L, Green/Gray [Spouse's; Died at 500,000+]
'18 Legacy w/eyesight, Blue [Spouse's]
'94 Subaru Sambar KS-4, White [Farm UTV]
'94 Ford Ranger Extended Cab, Tomato Red
Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_fwdsvx View Post
How much current are your USB devices drawing? 5v feeds USB. Really easy to overload. Might try a powered hub and see if that helps.
Tom
All I had on my USB was an all-in-one lexmark, but curious to hear the response as well.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Yugo aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
But I did lol. I still am lost
Missed your post about trying that, sorry.. You should still list what exact hardware your using, mobo, ram, vid card, power supply, processor, etc.. that would help alot. Another thought, is your processor a P4? If so do you have the small 4 pin power plug hooked up from the power supply to the mobo? Yet another thought would be to try some different ram if you can.. I've had some ATX power supply plugs have a pin or two come partially out too.. Just throwin ideas out there for ya.. If your feeling really brave you could always try loading Linux. It's no good if your a gamer, but for surfing, media playback and office apps it works pretty good, it even works with ipods, and its free.. I've been running Kubuntu linux for a few months now, and like it enough to get rid of windows completely. You can download it as an iso, burn it to cd, and boot from the cd to a semi working desktop to test it, all without installing.
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
18" Enkei Evo5's

Last edited by Psychosis5150; 12-18-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: