How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Timing belt wear?

This question will probably win the dumbest question of the month competition but here goes anyway. When I bought my SVXs I didn't get any maintenance records so I have no idea if and when the timing belts were changed. Is there an easy way to find out how much wear is left on them?
Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Not really. To inspect it you have to remove the plastic timing cover (that black plastic thing on the front of the motor.) In my case I'm just going to assume it needs doing and replace it. The motor needs lots of work anyway.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-17-2007, 10:37 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
The only sure way to know how much life is left in a t-belt is to change it yourself.
That said, the EG33 is a non-interference engine, so if the belt breaks, it shouldn't do any internal damage.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 PM

I would just change it!

Only one belt and not a tough job.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
I got mine changed the other day. Cost me a fortune. I have got to start learning more about cars.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
It took me about 4 hours to do mine. That was because when I was putting the T-Belt back on it kept jumping teeth/or the cams would spin away from the point they needed to be in(Making them turn to the right spot was the worst, trying to turn them by hand). I spent about 1/2hr trying to get it to stay on right.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 AM

I use the plastic ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
It took me about 4 hours to do mine. That was because when I was putting the T-Belt back on it kept jumping teeth/or the cams would spin away from the point they needed to be in(Making them turn to the right spot was the worst, trying to turn them by hand). I spent about 1/2hr trying to get it to stay on right.
Put the belt on close to where it goes and move it to the right notch on one pulley... fasten it in the right place with a couple of plastic ties on each pulley Spread them a bit but position them so the pulley can move enough to get in place. do the other side. Turn the crank shaft to get it in the right notch. this gets real easy!!

Works easy for me
Good luck,
Keith
Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Put the belt on close to where it goes and move it to the right notch on one pulley... fasten it in the right place with a couple of plastic ties on each pulley Spread them a bit but position them so the pulley can move enough to get in place. do the other side. Turn the crank shaft to get it in the right notch. this gets real easy!!

Works easy for me
Good luck,
Keith

That's exactly what I did, took me about 15mins to think of using zip ties though Once I did that, it was a piece of cake getting everything back together.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpianoman View Post
Is there an easy way to find out how much wear is left on them?
I doubt there's any way to know how much life is left in the timing belt, but if your car has typical mileage in the low to mid-100s and the front of the engine is leak free, it's a safe bet that the front seals have been changed in recent years, and whoever did that work probably replaced the timing belt while they were in there.

That's probably. In short, if the car appears to have been well maintained, odds are it was.

dcb
Old 11-25-2007, 09:24 AM

More timing belt questions

I am picking up my second SVX this weekend and the owner does not have maintenance records either...What can I expect to spend on a timing belt install? I see on E-Bay our timing belt available from "Eastern imports" for $80 and another company for $220.

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I am excited. And yes, feel free to make an offer on my current SVX. Selling it so I can have a 5spd.

92 Graphite LS-L Touring (136k miles) #4143
5 speed, ACT clutch, Sparco R-Speed shortshifter, Ecutune v1, Stebro exhaust, PWR rad, 18" Motegi Racing FF15 wheels wrapped in Falken Azenis, Alpine 9833 MP3/CD with Alpine 3ways in front, MSW G-lateral drop springs, ss braided brake lines, d/s rotors, 9005 headlight mod, Celcius mod

92 Ebony LS-L Touring (125k miles) #7328
smallcar shift kit, Panasonic MP3/CD, Remote starter with security
For Sale: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...370#post501370

92 Claret LS-L Touring (Sold - 1998)
The first car I ever drove.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:47 PM

better deal at subaru.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSVX View Post
I am picking up my second SVX this weekend and the owner does not have maintenance records either...What can I expect to spend on a timing belt install? I see on E-Bay our timing belt available from "Eastern imports" for $80 and another company for $220.

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I am excited. And yes, feel free to make an offer on my current SVX. Selling it so I can have a 5spd.
really......
Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
really......

Ben really has every every reason to be excited. It would appear that he has made a good buy and it is always exciting to have a new toy.

Ben, congratulations, do a search and see if you can do the job yourself. You will have a big advantage in having two cars so that you need not hurry the job. You can call for assistance if you are stuck or as the job progresses. You can rest assured that help will be available here where you are among friends.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!