SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-14-2007, 05:06 PM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Angry Car wouldn't start

I just went out to move my car and it wouldn't start. Here is what it was doing: it sounded like it wanted to start but it would stall almost instantaniously. It seemed like it was not getting enough gas so I held the gas pedal to the floor and got it to start. I hope it will start for me in the morning for work. What could have caused that? I noticed that when I turned the key, my fans would start blowing! I don't think they should be blowing because I hadn't started the car all day and the engine was cold? Here is waht I did yesterday and tell if this has anything to do with this problem.
1. My CEL was coming on for a while , it would come on and then go off. I checked it out and found out that it was the Coolant Temp sensor. Well yesterday the CEL came on and would not go off so I changed the sensor. The first thing I noticed was that the I need two different socket sizes. The one in the car had a different size nut than the new one I got from Subaru ( part# 22630AA041) Is that the correct one?
. 2nd thing I noticed was that on the brown plug there seems to be only one wire going to it. Is that right? There are two holes but only one has a wire attached to it. Did I loose a wire somewhere?
3. and now the fans don't turn off?
What did I do????? All I did was change the sensor???
4. How do I get the CEL to go off? Will it go off on its own or do I need to clear it?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
After replacing the sensor (you should have replaced the BROWN sensor and it should be the same as the one that was in there before), did you reset the ECU?
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
After replacing the sensor (you should have replaced the BROWN sensor and it should be the same as the one that was in there before), did you reset the ECU?
No. I did not reset the ECU. Do I need to that? I thought the light would go out on its own. Would the light staying on cause my starting problem and the fans continuously running?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
No. I did not reset the ECU. Do I need to that? I thought the light would go out on its own. Would the light staying on cause my starting problem and the fans continuously running?
The fans continuously running says to me that the ECU sees that the temperature is too high - making me think that the sensor is broken.
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Frequent User

A bad coolant temp sensor has also been know to keep the engine from starting....
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Classic SVX
Its a brand new sensor from Subaru? Could it be something with the brown plug? Did I loose a wire somewhere? Its too dark to go outside right now but I thought I only saw one wire going into that brown plug.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-15-2007, 03:49 AM

Classic SVX
Hey Tom. Thanks for calling last night. Well I went out this morning and the car wouldn't start so I called in sick for the day to try and fix the problem. I will get out there as soon as it gets light out. This is on my list to check:
1. Check to make sure I have 2 wires going to that brown plug.
2. If I do I will clear the code by diconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour.
3. If that still don't work I will put the original one back in to see if I can at least start the car.

Tom. You mentioned last night there could be other problems that would give me the same code (21) as a faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor. I forgot what you said. What were they again?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 AM

Classic SVX
OK I do have 2 wires going into that plug but I broke the little clip that locks the plug down while trying to get it off I hope that will not be a problem. So I put the old one back in and it still wont start so now I have the battery disconnected and am waiting the 1/2 hour to see if that works
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 AM

Classic SVX
Talking Its Fixed

Thanks to all the SVX master mechanics on this forum my problem was fixed. It turned out that after I cleared the code by leaving the battery disconnected for 1/2 hr. the car started right up and the fans were not blowing. So let see if I can sum this up correctly so I know what to do for the next time I have this problem or a similar one:
1. When the CEL was coming on and then going off after a few seconds that is when to check for the code. (It is a warning)
2 If you wait too long like I did, the CEL stays on and causes more problems like mine did when the fans stayed on and the car wouldn't start after it got cold.
3. After changing the sensor, You MUST clear the code. Is that correct?
4. Now back to that brown plug. I snapped a little piece off the plug that locks it into place. It that going to be a problem? If so, any way to fix that?

Thanks again for everybody help especially Tom(svxfiles) who called as soon as he saw my post.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
you can probably ziptie the connector in place. Also, you can clear the ECU by using both of the test probes in the driver's side kickpanel (versus disconnecting the battery). Down load the "clearing codes" document from the How-To section
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM

Classic SVX
So was I correct in assuming that the reason the car wouldn't start after I changed the sensor was because I didn't reset/clear the code?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Paul,
that should be the case, as the ECU still thought the sensor was bad prior to the reset.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
you can probably ziptie the connector in place. Also, you can clear the ECU by using both of the test probes in the driver's side kickpanel (versus disconnecting the battery). Down load the "clearing codes" document from the How-To section
-Bill
I could never get that method to work. I had to pull the battery to clear the codes...
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
you have to have both probes in the connector and then turn the key on (if memory serves me right). I know this worked for me recently when clearing a bad O2 sensor code.
-Bill

My Locker