Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I kill more trannies then god

ignition switch

i need a new ignition switch, mine doesn't always start the car, how hard is it to replace the switch
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 AM

Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast View Post
i need a new ignition switch, mine doesn't always start the car, how hard is it to replace the switch
the car may not start even with a new switch
Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 AM

when i turn the key all the lights go out like there suppose to and the starter cranks weakly, but evrey third time or so the lights go out and the starter doesn't go. if i jumper the solinoid on the starter to the battery it starts instantly(and the starter sounds stronger, but i could be hearing things), evrey time, this would be a problem with the ignition. As it is worn out on my car i would just as soon replace the switch and maybe the lock cylinder while i'm in there. As far as i know the svx doesn't have a starter relay. so the ignition switch is bad.
so got any idea how hard it is to remove/install or what...

thanks for the useful comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
the car may not start even with a new switch

Last edited by jeffast; 11-14-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
It's not hard to replace...do a search on "ignition switch"....there are pics also in one of the threads. There are security screws on this device that only allow you to tighten so far, then I think they break..I'll have to check.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Yes in fact look at the thread called "ignition switch pics"....Kuoh has a great write-up on this..... good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
<link to that thread>
Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM

thank you, found what i need i'll post later when i get it replaced
Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 AM

Hope it works out for you...

Quote:
thank you, found what i need i'll post later when i get it replaced
Not much chance that it will fix it.
I have 2 svx's that did the same way and I put a Bosch relay in the system with an added a new wiring circuit that works off the ignition switch like a dream. ( after replacing the ignition switch and spending a lot of time checking everything in the circuit.) For some crazy reason the voltage drops too low to make the starter turn over the engine--- the cooling fans come on... and no turn over the engine. Just a click. but wiring the power to a Bosch relay with a fused power supply that goes to the starter through a Bosch relay. These are 30 amp relays available at most auto supply stores and require push on connectors. I grounded one side of the Bosch relay (terminal # 85) and use the wire that has a push on connector to the starter to terminal # 86. I hooked the fused supply line directly from the battery (30 amp) to terminal # 30 on the Bosch relay and ran a wire from terminal # 87 on the Bosch relay with a push on spade connector to the push on terminal on the starter. I mounted the relay on the mfire wall neer the starter.The lower voltage that will not be enough to start the car will be enough to energize the relay and you are home free!!when you try to start the car the relay close and you get the full voltage from the battery! This not starting thing has happened to a lot of people and is a real pain. Has nothing to do with the temperature of the engine, but the radiator cooling fans may come on and all you can hear is the fans and that dreaded "click". After you replace the ignition sw, get a realay and you will love the sound of the engine cranking over! My cars start easier and quicker than they ever did before!!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 AM

Registered SVX
Not the correct way to do it, as the relay does not isolate the ignition switch and circuit from the load imposed by the starter solenoid. The object of the exercise is to overcome voltage drop in the ignition switch circuit occurring due to a fault causing resistance in the circuit.

The relay contacts should switch the starter solenoid load as a separate independent circuit. The existing ignition switch circuit should be disconnected from the starter solenoid and then connected to the relay coil, thus limiting the load on this circuit to no more relay current. This arrangement will hugely reduce the load on both the inhibitor and ignition switch contacts where poor contact must exist.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Not much chance that it will fix it.
I have 2 svx's that did the same way and I put a Bosch relay in the system with an added a new wiring circuit that works off the ignition switch like a dream. ( after replacing the ignition switch and spending a lot of time checking everything in the circuit.) For some crazy reason the voltage drops too low to make the starter turn over the engine--- the cooling fans come on... and no turn over the engine. Just a click. but wiring the power to a Bosch relay with a fused power supply that goes to the starter through a Bosch relay. These are 30 amp relays available at most auto supply stores and require push on connectors. I grounded one side of the Bosch relay (terminal # 85) and use the wire that has a push on connector to the starter to terminal # 86. I hooked the fused supply line directly from the battery (30 amp) to terminal # 30 on the Bosch relay and ran a wire from terminal # 87 on the Bosch relay with a push on spade connector to the push on terminal on the starter. I mounted the relay on the mfire wall neer the starter.The lower voltage that will not be enough to start the car will be enough to energize the relay and you are home free!!when you try to start the car the relay close and you get the full voltage from the battery! This not starting thing has happened to a lot of people and is a real pain. Has nothing to do with the temperature of the engine, but the radiator cooling fans may come on and all you can hear is the fans and that dreaded "click". After you replace the ignition sw, get a realay and you will love the sound of the engine cranking over! My cars start easier and quicker than they ever did before!!
did you try changing out your ignition switch?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM

????????????????????????????????? Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Not the correct way to do it, as the relay does not isolate the ignition switch and circuit from the load imposed by the starter solenoid. The object of the exercise is to overcome voltage drop in the ignition switch circuit occurring due to a fault causing resistance in the circuit.

The relay contacts should switch the starter solenoid load as a separate independent circuit. The existing ignition switch circuit should be disconnected from the starter solenoid and then connected to the relay coil, thus limiting the load on this circuit to no more relay current. This arrangement will hugely reduce the load on both the inhibitor and ignition switch contacts where poor contact must exist.
Trevor,
That is what I said! Please try to understand the words instead of always trying to impress the few faithful people that still depend on your "expertnesses".
This problem has came up before and you tried to connect it to the temperature of the car because the cooling fans would come on. not even close to what is happening. now you want to use the existing circuitt to the relay. That is what I said!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is far more important to try to help people than to impress people. You need to send your white horse to the glue factory? Don't try to come riding to the rescue now when you couldn't work it out weeks ago when the same thing came up. It is already worked out and many people will benefit from this information.
With this system, nothing else on the car has to be changed. The alarm system works, and so does everything else. Again my car actually starts quicker than it ever did because the full voltage from the battery is applied right to both terminals on the starter,
Wake up and read the words!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When something is posted and you don't understand the words, sending a private message might be a better idea. I call it "save face"
(just trying to help you)
Your friend,
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 11-15-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:36 AM

yes I did

Quote:
did you try changing out your ignition switch?
I replaced the ignition switch and thought I was home free! It worked a few times and I was ecstatic! Of course, like yours, it worked some of the time and sadly I soon found that I was back to square one. It just happened to start a few times right after I changed the switch.
The chances that this exact thing happened to both my SVX's and doesn't happen to other people is slim to none. The Bosch relay is a 30 amp relay and is prevalent at just about any auto supply! less than 10 dollars!
I spent weeks checking the circuit with my voltmeter and couldn't find why the voltage dropped when the ignition switch was turned to start. I even jumped the wires to the start circuit right under the dash, bypassing the ignition switch totally and the voltage still dropped to about 8 volts. I had a spring loaded toggle switch under the hood and when the car would not start... get out ... raise the hood... use the switch to start it. I still have no idea whay the voltage dropped some ot the time and not others but now I am a happy camper!
Hope this helps,
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 11-15-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 AM

alright i already paid for and orderd the ignition switch, so i'll post wether or not it fixes my problem...
as of this time though it looks like a bad battery was the cause....
which makes me feel very stupid
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM

You gave yourself a clue!!!

Quote:
when i turn the key all the lights go out like there suppose to and the starter cranks weakly, but evrey third time or so the lights go out and the starter doesn't go. if i jumper the solinoid on the starter to the battery it starts instantly(and the starter sounds stronger, but i could be hearing things), evrey time, this would be a problem with the ignition. As it is worn out on my car i would just as soon replace the switch and maybe the lock cylinder while i'm in there. As far as i know the svx doesn't have a starter relay. so the ignition switch is bad.
so got any idea how hard it is to remove/install or what...

thanks for the useful comment
Of coures it isn't the battery. you said "if i jumper the solinoid on the starter to the battery it starts instantly(and the starter sounds stronger", ... My starter sounds stronger all the time with the Bosch relay on it because it is getting the full voltage from the Battery right to the starter!

That certainly doesn't sound batteryish to me LOL

If it is, I would like to have a "bad battery" like yours, maybe at least to start my SVX on a cold morning

Last edited by kwren; 11-15-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM

check the words Trevor

[QUOTE=Trevor;508869]Not the correct way to do it, as the relay does not isolate the ignition switch and circuit from the load imposed by the starter solenoid.

Of course it does! The ignition switch only has to provide the voltage to the relay field, the power to the starter comes through the closed relay circuit from the fused supply line to energize the starter right from the battery. The reduced voltage from the ignition switch is enough to work the relay and on my car it does every time.
again,
your friend,
Keith
Closed Thread