How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 05:32 PM

The Cd player can be fixed simply.

Okay frustration reached a point today and I decided to have one last look at the CD unit in my car before ripping it out and putting in a new Unit that I had brought. I have thought throught the problem for months and figure if the two red wires to the unit are power then were does it get earth. I and everyone else assumed it was from the radio but that was wrong it gets it from a tag that rubs against the bottom of the holder and over time it rusts and breaks contact.
If you look at the attached images you will see what I mean. All that has to happen is for you to fit a wire just for the earth to the outside of the holder and the problem fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD fix 1.jpg (225.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg CD fix 2.jpg (116.4 KB, 184 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The 2-pin plug with the red wires is only for the illumination bulbs inside the CD deck.

There is a short cable with a 13-pin round DIN plug that provides the power, ground, control-line, and audio connections between the CD deck and the radio/cassette unit.

The metal cage that holds both the radio and CD units should also be providing ground between the two.

What was the problem with your CD deck? Did yours start working again after you cleaned the metal spring?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:04 PM

I replaced the metal spring with a wire and the unit started working again but in the last day it decided to stop again. Both the radio and the CD player were working perfectly in Matts SVX so I don't get why its won't work in mine any suggestion greatly appricated. It can't find the track to start then spits out the CD.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
... It can't find the track to start then spits out the CD.
If the radio/tape portion still works, I think that tells you your ground connection is fine.

This sounds more like a problem with the optical pickup. Many people have restored ailing CD decks by using a CD lens cleaner. Make sure your audio discs are not dirty or scratched.

Also, are you trying to play a commercially-produced CD, or a burned CD-R? Decks can have problems reading burned discs depending on how the disc was created (whether it pushed against the limits of the audio CD specifications).
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Its a commerially produced unit, not sure what is causing the problem I should just do like everyone else and rip it out.
Tony