Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
must be

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 05-01-2006, 09:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
Is retirement that boring?
I gather that technbical statements which can not stand up to scrutiny and subsequent insults are acceptable to you. The latter is obviously so. I tend to differ.

Sincerely, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Endangered Species

what a nobel and just cause you fight for

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 05-02-2006, 01:56 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
what a nobel and just cause you fight for
Noble ??????????? Or are you after the very junior Nobel Prize ??????????

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Endangered Species

haha, woops, my respect for u just went up, whilst my respect for myself just went down , it would seem nothing slips past you

Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
haha, woops, my respect for u just went up, whilst my respect for myself just went down , it would seem nothing slips past you
Not a problem, except that I was worried that you might have Harvey as your CLASS teacher. Your courtesy proves otherwise.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:18 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I thought humbleness came with age.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:43 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I thought humbleness came with age.
I am unable to comment as your age is a secret.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:54 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Trevor,
Keep in mind that the majority of the members on this forum are not auto mechanics. You are not going to find 100% accurate information. With the knowledge you have, rather then debating, write up a manual on a 'how to' for the SVX. This way you can stay busy and help others and maybe make some money too. You are a good man and I do respect you, be well
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Phil & Belha

1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Endangered Species

I consider Harvey a mate, he has helped me out alot, and all his advise has lead to solving many a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
I have to agree, im movin on now, prehaps others should do the same

Old 05-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Trevor,
Keep in mind that the majority of the members on this forum are not auto mechanics. You are not going to find 100% accurate information. With the knowledge you have, rather then debating, write up a manual on a 'how to' for the SVX. This way you can stay busy and help others and maybe make some money too. You are a good man and I do respect you, be well
I believe that members can expect and are entitled to, 100% exact information from one who within his profile states, without qualifications, that his occupation is that of an “Automobile Engineer.” What is more, he arrogantly claims that his knowledge exceeds mine and that he is of a superior class. Is it not reasonable that he should be held accountable?

It is my intention to assist by doing a write up on duty solenoid valves. However as of now, this is a futile exercise, when there is confusion in respect of those who unwittingly accept Harvey’s word as gospel. This is no trivial error. For the good of all the issue must be correctly resolved.

N.B. This is the second time Harvey has published his strange theory and at the same time defended his ideas with personal insults. On the previous occasion he used the same tactics to confuse and then run for cover. I will not allow him to do so again. The issue has become one of principle on two fronts.

I sincerely appreciate your kind comment. Trevor.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Ahhhhhh...... Harvey & Trevor... together again down under.

The reminescence is delightful.

I love you guys.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
Ahhhhhh...... Harvey & Trevor... together again down under.

The reminescence is delightful.

I love you guys.

Ron.
I love you too, you old bugger

Old 05-03-2006, 07:04 PM

Registered SVX
Faq

I commiserate with those who have become impatient as a result of my adversaries lack of intestinal fortitude such that he remains in hiding. Artistic talents thus displayed are associated with that which I hold in contempt. BS is BS and moire particularly so when garnished with insults by way of a sour condiment.

Some years back a thread including opposition to Harvey’s senseless theory, was typically concluded with insults towards me. This thread included my comments exactly as follows :-

As there appears to be confusion as to exactly what is occurring in the resistor and solenoid circuits I have hooked up my scope and had a look at things.

N.B. Harvey, The findings are COMPLETELY at odds with what you have stated, therefore could you please advise as to where you got your information. (CURRENT NOTE - This information was typically never provided.)

Unfortunately I was on my own, so was unable to run the car in drive against the brakes as I had hoped to do. I admit being chicken as I was conscious of the garage wall and shelves containing valuable stuff in front of the car, as well as my own neck ! As a result the car was run in neutral and I could do no more than increase revs while checking the scope trace and taking measurements.

Static, all voltage measurements coincided with specifications.
The resistor measured 12.3 ohms and the solenoid 3.4 ohms.

With the engine running and the resistor in circuit the output from C7, i.e. before the resistor, showed a pulsed signal at a constant approximate 13.5 volts and at a rate of around 50 hertz . This was not in effect a square wave as the voltage fell to zero between pulses and the solenoid EMF was completely disrupted resulting in a substantial reverse spike. The frequency remained constant as did the voltage, but the length of the pulses became shorter as the revs rose.

Tested as above, the output from C 8, i.e. the direct circuit to the solenoid, showed a similar signal but with shorter pulses. The pulse length did not vary with throttle opening and increased revs. Once again a significant negative spike was observed. It was noted that the resistor ran extremely hot .

With the resistor open circuit, the same pattern was registered showing that feed back had not effected the individual circuit measurements.

FAQs

For those who can sort fact from fiction, I set out the former in broad and simple terms:-

DUTY SOLENOID A.

A pulse width modulated duty solenoid valve, ( Sometimes known as a pulsoid), as is incorporated in the SVX transmission control system, adjusts pressure in the following manner :-

The fluid line is provided with a bleed or bypass via an on/off device, in the form of an electrically operated valve. This solenoid valve is opened and closed repeatedly, in a rhythmical manner by a control current which is turned on and off by the transmission control unit (TCU). The valve is a normally closed device, and remains closed in the event of the loss off a control current.

After passing through this modulated solenoid valve, the continually interrupted pressure is in the form of a pulsed flow. When the peaks level off with the troughs there is a resulting overall steady reduced pressure. The level of this pressure is adjusted by varying the on/off intervals. Most often the length of the on time is adjusted and the number of on/off pulses per second is kept constant. The usual rate is around 50 cycles per second.

The resulting adjusted output pressure is therefore delivered as a rapidly fluctuating stream. The system incorporates an expansion chamber as a smoothing element, which works as a sort of cushion. This device is usually in the form of a cylinder and piston or diaphragm, backed by a coil spring. In the SVX system the component is described as a Pressure Modifier Accumulator. The high pressure peaks in the stream press the piston outwards and become rounded off, while the low pressure troughs are filled in as a result of the piston moving inwards under spring pressure. The end result is a smoother level of pressure, such that controlled devices are not materially affected.

An increase in the volume of fluid controlled, is achieved by transferring the solenoid regulated pressure, to a pressure modifier valve and a regulator valve.

It should be clear that by “chopping” the fluid supply in an adjustable way, pressure control is achieved economically using a simple poppet type solenoid valve, with few mechanical or electrical complications. However the valve remains in a continuos cycling mode, which can impose rather arduous mechanical stresses.

THE DROPPING RESISTOR CIRCUIT.

It will be immediately apparent that a sudden on off cycle tends to cause what could be called a hammering of the valve seat, even though this is largely checked by the controlled fluid flow. The dropping resistor introduces a second series of current pulses applied in parallel with the control signal. These shorter pulses are applied during the off cycles and timed to check the travel of the armature as it reaches the closed position, thus reducing both shock and noise.

These secondary parallel signals in effect, “round off” the closing period and reduce the closing shock. This arrangement can be made even more sophisticated and configured so as to soften the the opening cycle, as well as the closing of the valve.

It will be appreciated that reducing the resistance in the circuit, or opening the circuit by omitting the dropping resistor, has two outcomes. Firstly the relative electrical off time is increased thus increasing the line pressure. Importantly as a second issue, increased shock loads are applied to the valve.

SOLENOID C

The same principals apply, but the duty is less arduous and therefore no parallel circuit is incorporated.

By way of preserving accuracy, I reserve copy rights.

I conclude by noting the lack of supportive response regarding the insults directed towards me and by directing towards your one armed paper hanger and all other BS artists, my two fingers! Any complaints should be directed towards the moderators. I stand by my words. *<)

Last edited by Trevor; 05-03-2006 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Typo