Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I'm slippin'

Well I guess there is no escape from the tranny issues, either USDM or JDM... this is the fait of the SVX tranny.

I have managed to get my car on its wheels again after the accident, well I have been driving it for the last three weeks. Today I went to work in the morning, everything seemed perfect, in the afternoon I went to my university... the car seemed "heavy" while accelerating, the rpms go up a little more than usual especially on 2nd gear.

I showed it to my mechanic this evening, he advised me at first to go put an add-up he used before on Hondas and gave 100% outcome..

If it doesn't fix it, even momentarily, I have no choice but to overhaul it because there are lots of parts still missing from my 6mt kit, and I have no time to get them... still fixing my current one would be faster and cheaper.

I will try to make a write up with pics in case...

Can anyone think of something about my tranny? well I can feel the 2nd gear starting to slip

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...hmmm..Whats still missing for you to do a 6 speed install? You midaswell source the parts you need while you drive the auto into the ground if its at all possible. you might be without a car for a week during your work, so you might want to plan accordingly
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
...hmmm..Whats still missing for you to do a 6 speed install? You midaswell source the parts you need while you drive the auto into the ground if its at all possible. you might be without a car for a week during your work, so you might want to plan accordingly
The rear Diff, the pedals, brake booster, manual handle, manufacturing the X bar... I just have the tranny alone... I was so stupid to get it alone... well I didn't know at that time that I need the diff with it, and that THE PEDALS AND SHIFTER are impossible to get USED here

Still fixing my Auto would be cheaper... Mentioned before that the SVX tranny had Pathfinder and Mazda MPV parts inside?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:12 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
The rear Diff, the pedals, brake booster, manual handle, manufacturing the X bar... I just have the tranny alone... I was so stupid to get it alone... well I didn't know at that time that I need the diff with it, and that THE PEDALS AND SHIFTER are impossible to get USED here

Still fixing my Auto would be cheaper... Mentioned before that the SVX tranny had Pathfinder and Mazda MPV parts inside?
is this something we can help you out with, or do you have differnt Spec stuff?
phil
Old 03-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Thanks Phil, I will try to fix my auto for now, if it doens't work out, I will try to either go now to dubai or try to locate pedals and manual handle, 5mt and diff ....

Let me see what I can do. I hope the auto internals are not as expensive as I am expecting

Old 03-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Slipping trans.

Danny you just need to adjust the brake band. Do it now so that the band is not damaged by slipping too much.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

yeah, definitely check out the brake band first.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Danny you just need to adjust the brake band. Do it now so that the band is not damaged by slipping too much.

Harvey.
But Harv, I had no issues with my tranny before, SUDDENLY it strarted slipping on 2nd gear!! Any more recommendations?

Anyways I will try the brake bank adjustment

Old 03-31-2006, 02:40 AM

i'm having the same problem... but one question...

how do I check out/adjust the brake band? how is it supposed to look like, and where is it?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 AM
One teal and One yellow

Danny,
Do you have tranny cooler(s) installed on yours? How many miles have you put on the tranny? Did you check the tranny fluid color? How does it look like? How does it smell?

I have 3 suggestions for ya

1. Come to reading 7 for fun and bring two big suitcases, you know tom is making 6mt kits, order from him now...and get all you need for the 6mt swap and then go home heheh

2. convert it to 4.44 or 5.55 if you can get there...

3. fix on what you have now since you always say the labor there is soooo cheap

Good luck!

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-31-2006, 04:05 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Ok yesterday my mechanic checked the fluid, it is still bright (I change it each year using supersynthetic fluid), doesn't smell burned at all... and the level is right. I am starting to suspect that something is stuck inside the tranny like a valve or seal.... not working properly.

I will try this add-on today, if the problem persists, I will do the brake band adjustment. If it also doesn't work out, I will have to take the tranny out and assess the damage.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:43 AM

nvm found the how to doc.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Your car was hit pretty hard. It's the brake band.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Your car was hit pretty hard. It's the brake band.
What's that got to do with anything? All that was really damaged is the lower suspension arm. No real metal damage involved...

Anyways the add-on never worked, so it is not something "stuck" inside. Tomorrow I will take the starter out and try to adjust the brake band. I have tried today without removing the starter, I felt I was going to damage the bolt... so I will take the starter out tomorrow morning and try to adjust the bolt "safely"...

Keeping fingers crossed , update tomorrow

Last edited by SilverSpear; 03-31-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:32 PM

Registered SVX
Procrastination

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au

Harvey.
Good sound logical advice. I feel for you Harvey. Why the continued procrastination here?

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!