SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

View Poll Results: Greatest JDM Supercar?
Acura NSX 16 31.37%
Mazda RX-7 6 11.76%
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 4 7.84%
Nissan 300ZXTT 1 1.96%
Toyota Supra TT 15 29.41%
Subaru SVX 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

So what is the greatest JDM Supercar of the 90's?

Motortrend July '93 Supercar Shootout: http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/m...article01.html

Let's discuss. No off topic rants please... (yes Shadow, we know your '99 T/A is fastar!!!)

-Chike

P.S. One more note, let's only discuss JDM supercars cars that made it to the showrooms on US shores. No Skyline GT-R's, Silvias, Soarers, etc.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 10-11-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Hater

i've always liked the Supra - came damn close to buying a mint, unmolested '95 TT a few years back......but it was just a little more than i wanted to spend.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-11-2004, 03:50 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
no nissan skyline?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 10-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Those results seem to strongly favor the Supra.

Here's an interesting question - How many of these cars are still in production?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Here's an interesting question - How many of these cars are still in production?
Only the NSX in piddling numbers (~200 per year).

However, the new 350Z is a hot seller, the RX-8 has taken up (to some extent) where the RX-7 left off. Subaru and Mitsu have shifted their sports car focus to the WRX/STI and the EVO...

-Chike

Old 10-11-2004, 05:14 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I say the RX-7 TT.... That thing is an AWESOME Track car!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 10-11-2004, 05:28 PM
BoondockSVX

Good question. I say NSX, for a few reasons. First I'll talk about the other cars:

Alright: mazda Rx7TT. Incredible car. Absolutely mind numbing... big power, tiny package, no weight. It will basically kill any of these other cars on a road course. Downsides? Engines like to go 'boom'! So that sucks.

Mitsu3000GT: Eh...it's alright, but it's so big, heavy, etc. Plus I've never been impressed with mitsu reliablity or build quality.

300ZX: Admittedly a sweet car, but kinda porky and over developed, too many things can go wrong with them, way too complicated in general. Extremely extremely hard to find a turbo model in good shape, and the interior's had issues for most years of production.

Supra TT: Bling bling. You want hp? Here it is. But it's also pretty heavy, and lacks the lightweight/nimbleness of the RX7. Also a bit played out, though I do give it credit.

Subaru SVX: A rolling work of hypocrisy, which is why I love/hate it (hypocritical there too!). incredibly silky smooth 230hp flat six and no manual transmission...... sporty italian exterior, junk wheel bearings. (then) the world's most complex transmission, but nobody designed the freakin' visors to stay up.

Now the NSX; well, even the first ones are still stunning, with it's glass to glass canopy, the engine is a real redline screamer, incredibly balanced handling, build quality that withstands the years quite well, and fairly reliable. All in all, no real weak spots like all the others. I love the NSX.

- Jim

Last edited by BoondockSVX; 10-12-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Subaru SVX: A rolling work of hypocrisy, which is why I love/hate it (hypocritical there too!). incredibly silky smooth 230hp flat six and no manual transmission...... sporty italian exterior, junk wheel bearings. (then) the world's most complex transmission, but nobody designed the freakin' visors to stay up.
I like your comments and think you've nailed most of the cars right on the nose!

I also must agree that the SVX is a rolling contradiction in many ways... The exterior styling is mouth watering, but then they stuck the 80's fake headlight and weird looking directional wheels??? What happened to the sweet rims on the prototype?

My favorite JDM supercar is the 300ZX TT. It just strikes that perfect balance of track car and grand tourer. Kind of like a poor man's Porsche. After having owned a '90 300ZX TT with 120K miles I can say that the electronic gadgetry can go awry, but I didn't have to fix/replace a single one on my car. Only oil changes and tires the whole time I owned the car...

-Chike

Old 10-12-2004, 02:28 AM
After 200, it's all the same.

Here is my breakdown.

RX-7 TT-- The engines are very finicky, yet very ingenious. Who'd a thunk that a little gear driven triangle could make a car move. The person who said the internal combustion engine hasn't really changed at all since the first one was built was wrong. Slightly overpriced yet worth every penny, assuming you have the extra change to keep fixing it.

3K GT TT-- Mitsubishi was really onto something with this car. AWD and two turbos. What could you want in a car. LESS WEIGHT. These cars are beasts, once they are in motion, they are quick as hell. However, the parts and prices to fix them are highly priced and hard to come by, especially if you have two turbos. Sleek looking car, just wish they would have made more convertibles.

300ZX TT-- One of the greatest things Nissan gave to the US market. Very quick. The only downside is the little things that keep breaking in the car.

Supra TT-- Too much horsepower will never come from the mouth on any owner/driver. Nice styling with the exception of the ugly wheels that impair the ability to see the slotted and drilled rotors that you just put on there. Only downside, everyone who owns one is putting down insane HP numbers. 1000 WHP and you are running 9's, yet this little Honda Civic with a third of your horsepower kept up with you??? As Boondock said before, a bit overrated.

SVX-- Love it or hate it, it will be sure to turn heads. Too good for its time, yes. This car is chock full of little imperfections that would annoy most owners, but a select group of people consider it a unique style. Needed a manual tranny is my only complaint.

NSX-- This car has been annihilating the competition in JGTC for years now, and despite all the road blocks that the rulemakers threw into its path, it still prevails. Styling is very sexy for a Honda. Scrap the S2000 and bring back the NSX to the mainstream market. If Honda had failed at every other car it made except the NSX, people would still rave about the quality and reliability of this car.

Final Verdict--
For the speed freaks, go with the Supra.
For those who like unique, get the SVX.
For those looking for Power and agility in one great little package, go no further than the RX-7
And for those looking for their money's worth in buying a good all around sports car, sit yourself into an NSX.

Sorry Mits and Nissan, in the 90's there just wasn't a radar blip for you in my opinion. Nissan needed the Skyline here in America, and it didn't happen.

And yes, I know I gave Honda credit, but let me point out that my screen name solely "attacks" civics. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!!1!!

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 10-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The NSX is the one Honda I tip my bandana to.

My vote goes to the GTO however. Heavy or not, it's fun to drive, very stylish, and awd which I can't live without.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:52 AM
Phil & Belha

Blasphemy! Lets have some more votes for the SVX.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
You forgot the Skyline. Which gets my vote.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:33 AM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
You forgot the Skyline. Which gets my vote.
From Chike's original post:

"P.S. One more note, let's only discuss JDM supercars cars that made it to the showrooms on US shores. No Skyline GT-R's, Silvias, Soarers, etc"
Old 10-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

You might also include the Lexus SC300/400 (also known as the Soarer elsewhere). I'd consider it the closest rival to the SVX in terms of desired marketplace capture - Luxury cruiser with lots of toys. No funny windows though.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
theres nothing like 800 ponies of stock bottem end 2j. Hands down the most over engineered and potent car in a straight line on the list.

phil

p.s. a 300hp civic dosnt have a chance against a 1000rwhp supra. Not saying a 300hp civic isnt fast(built some b20 and gsr turbo's) but hands down not a race.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: