Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Why can't they have a prettier girl in that pic?
you beat me to it lwin . i was about to say that's one ulgy mean woman modeling in that picture.

what happened to the half naked red neck hill billy hotties that are in like truckin' magazine or low rider's magazines?

guess they spent all the money on car design and couldn't afford a pretty one
Old 03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Sold. :'-(

Haven't read the whole thread, so bear with me if this has been mentioned already.

1) Ford's new engine in the Focus is more efficient and cleaner (meeting PZEV requirements) than most hybrids on the market today, according to Ford as well as the DOT.

2) Ford is offering a Hybrid Escape model for 2005.

3) I work at a Ford dealer, so that's how I know this, and also why I don't know if any other US brand is doing similar work.
Raxles front axles
Old 03-05-2004, 04:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Blue
Haven't read the whole thread, so bear with me if this has been mentioned already.

1) Ford's new engine in the Focus is more efficient and cleaner (meeting PZEV requirements) than most hybrids on the market today, according to Ford as well as the DOT.
Is this taking into account the total system, or just the gas engines used in the hybrid systems? I would believe that the engine was more efficient and showed lower emissions than just the gasoline engine components of Toyota and Honda hybrid systems. But I find it very difficult to believe that the engine is 'more efficient' and 'greener' than the systems as a whole. The Prius gets, what, 40-50 combined mpg? I doubt very much that the Focus will achieve that with just a gas engine.

Quote:
2) Ford is offering a Hybrid Escape model for 2005.
This is an example of the 'different strategy' I meantioned that US carmakers are employing concerning hybrids. I'll be interested to see how it compares. My concern is that the hybrid versions will prove even slightly more problematic and the stigma will become, 'the Escape is nice, but stay away from the hybrid versions.' On the other hand, I think that offering hybrid versions of cars people already like is a perfectly valid concept.

Quote:
3) I work at a Ford dealer, so that's how I know this, and also why I don't know if any other US brand is doing similar work.
Ford said some time ago that they would be offering a hybrid Escape, so this is hardly privileged information. Well before that Dodge said they'd sell a hybrid Durango, which offered a whopping 2MPG increase in efficiency. I haven't heard anything about that Durango in some time, though.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Gas Prices

Hi everyone, Yeah, that is one pretty car. But why would they do hybrid in a sporty car like that? Well, our local news is talking about $2.00 gas momentarily and $3.00 gas by the end of the year. I understand $2.50-$3.00 is close to realty on the east coast and the west coast. So pretty as it is, if it isn't high milage it probably wouldn't move off the show room floor. I'm old enough that I don't realy care about mileage, but in the big picture it is going to be a big factor in no time.Take care and see you in Reading, BOBB
Old 03-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

P/S

Hey, Can I close down a thread or what? Take care, BOBB
Old 03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

why close down this thread bobb? seems like some legit points.

now educate me. when speaking of hybrid what means do you mean?

liquid gas
electric
natural gas

i've seen all three on the roads. which are you guys talking about? which mix of the two/three?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hybrid

Hi Harry, I think for now liquid gas and electricity can be done now with the existing infrastructure. Down the road it will probably be something else like hydrogen. I think that having explosions under the hoods days are numbered. Storage of hydrogen is still a problem, but I have no doubt that some clever person or group will solve that problem and we will be on our way to telling OPEC to go play in the sand. Take care, BOBB

P/S Harry, When I said close down, I was talking about the time that went by from my post to the next post. Your post. "B"

Last edited by Bobb; 03-05-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:33 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
anyone read this month's issue of R&T? Big coverage of a bunch of concepts from a bunch of manufacturers and most of them are some form of hybrid, or fuel cell vehicle

the one thing that i read that was really interesting was a blurb about the mazda RX-8, and they're working to build it as a hydrogen combusting engine.. take the renesis and make it burn hydrogen instead of gas, and it's switchable between the two modes by a switch on the dash switch to hydrogen get 110hp and like 78ft/lbs torque, flip to gas get regular 210hp, etc.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:43 AM
Sold. :'-(

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Is this taking into account the total system, or just the gas engines used in the hybrid systems? I would believe that the engine was more efficient and showed lower emissions than just the gasoline engine components of Toyota and Honda hybrid systems. But I find it very difficult to believe that the engine is 'more efficient' and 'greener' than the systems as a whole. The Prius gets, what, 40-50 combined mpg? I doubt very much that the Focus will achieve that with just a gas engine.

I agree the numbers seem unreal, but they are claiming to be more efficient and greener than the entire system.
Honda did succeed in a 55mpg gas engine, so the efficiency part is definitely possible, even their own hybrids don't match that now.
The "green" claims stem from their attaining "partial zero emmissions" status with this new engine.

That's really all I know about it...
Raxles front axles
Old 03-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Toyota by Giugiaro

Beautiful car.

But my vote still goes to the Brera.

http://www.italiaspeed.com/proto_brera.html

I'm typing this while watching the Australian Grand Prix.

At this point, the main interest point is watching to see if Michael can lap THE ENTIRE FIELD. He has a 23+ second lead over Rubens for Pete's sake.

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 03-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Unstoppable

And who ever said that money doesn't win races. And with that, Its almost time for NASCAR.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 03-07-2004, 01:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
And who ever said that money doesn't win races. And with that, Its almost time for NASCAR.
It's not just Ferrari's money that wins races. Toyota are reputed to have the largest budget in F1, this is their third season, and it looks like they're still going to struggle for points.

Michael's a legend. Some people may be sick of watching him win, but I'll be happy to see him dominate as long as he can. Nobody else could do with a team what he has done. That's what makes him special and that's why I'll watch him win all season long if that's the case.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-07-2004, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

I agree the numbers seem unreal, but they are claiming to be more efficient and greener than the entire system.
Honda did succeed in a 55mpg gas engine, so the efficiency part is definitely possible, even their own hybrids don't match that now.
The "green" claims stem from their attaining "partial zero emmissions" status with this new engine.

That's really all I know about it...
I read some articles on the new Focus engine, and it does certainly seem to be very efficient. But it's still pretty far off the numbers for Toyota and Honda hybrids.

That's what I suspected and that's why I figured they were only accounting for the gas engine components of those systems.

On the other hand, if you want a super-efficient car but can't afford the $20k price tag for a hybrid, the Focus seems to be a good alternative.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Unstoppable

Well, you have to look at it this way. Ferrari's been doing F1 forever. They have a huge amount of experience that Toyota does not. Give them a few years, to find out what works and what doesn't, and I have a feeling they will be plenty competitive.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 03-07-2004, 02:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
Well, you have to look at it this way. Ferrari's been doing F1 forever. They have a huge amount of experience that Toyota does not. Give them a few years, to find out what works and what doesn't, and I have a feeling they will be plenty competitive.
Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. But you inferred that Ferrari was buying their wins. Now you say the opposite - that it's their experience. Which is it?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: