How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-11-2003, 08:25 AM
ww111

Question Question for gamers

I've got a 2.4 Ghz toshiba laptop. that was benchmarking @ 800Mhz Celeron speed. I did ALL the performance upgrades and it did nothing for me. DVD's would not run. Windows search would take forever. Long bootups and over a minute to spool a print job...

So the computer was going back to Toshiba. Then I unplugged the Logitech cordless rumblepad. And everything was fine! So, I did this test: play a DVD and plug and unplug the rumblepad. Plugged the DVD was unwatchable. Unplugged and the world was a good and happy place.
Norton benchmark unplugged= 234
Norton benchmark plugged= 83

I like the controller but...

Any ideas? (the driver is current and the disk is brandnew defragged)

Collins
Old 12-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Network Design Administrator

Hate to tell you, but it sounds like you are in for a reformat...

www.hardforums.com can be very usefull as well.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.

Last edited by RSVX; 12-11-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Collins, what OS is it running? Can you possibly look at a task list and see what process is running that's taking so much CPU time when this controller is plugged in?

I'd look on Logitech's site to see if updated software for that controller has been released. I think it's pretty clear that software related to that controller is hogging CPU time, leaving little resources for anything else.

If no new drivers have been released, it may be something as simple as a setting in the controller's software. I'd check Logitech's site for some sort of knowledge base, or maybe a tech support phone number.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:31 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
Hate to tell you, but it sounds like you are in for a reformat...

www.hardforums.com can be very usefull as well.
I don't see how you reach that conclusion so quickly. If he's talking about returning the machine to Toshiba, it must be pretty new (and still under warranty). I think a reformat is awfully severe. Once he installed the software for that controller, he'd most likely have the exact same problem again. It looks to me like the problem lies with the controller, and that it's up to Logitech to help him out.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 10:39 AM
ww111

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Collins, what OS is it running? Can you possibly look at a task list and see what process is running that's taking so much CPU time when this controller is plugged in?

I'd look on Logitech's site to see if updated software for that controller has been released. I think it's pretty clear that software related to that controller is hogging CPU time, leaving little resources for anything else.

If no new drivers have been released, it may be something as simple as a setting in the controller's software. I'd check Logitech's site for some sort of knowledge base, or maybe a tech support phone number.

XP Pro... Great ideas about the Task manager. As for the reformat... I reloaded the original restore disks which included a reformat... I have an e-mail and call to Logitech. I'll try the settings for the controller. I may also set the priority of the device lower...

Collins
Old 12-11-2003, 10:40 AM
ww111

Quote:

I don't see how you reach that conclusion so quickly. If he's talking about returning the machine to Toshiba, it must be pretty new (and still under warranty). I think a reformat is awfully severe. Once he installed the software for that controller, he'd most likely have the exact same problem again. It looks to me like the problem lies with the controller, and that it's up to Logitech to help him out.
Yep. As long as the controller's unplugged everything's good.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:01 AM

I read the post wrong, it appeared to me that he only got good usage with the controller plugged IN. Which seems EXTREMELY odd. So if that were the case, thats why I said a reformat was in order, because they way I read it, plugging the controller in actually improved performance, which was beyond me...

I still stand by the hardforums reccomendation there. The newest software/drivers are not necesarily the best, and they will be able to diagnose that quickly. Also, those forums are free.

And why are you all so against reformatting anyway?(im not saying that he needs to do this) Are you afraid to reformat? Its not like you have to pray to the PC Gods during this process... if you are hardcore enough, a simply hardware change would push you to a reformat...

Edit: You running any anti spy-ware programs? If not I highly reccomend it, some of these will run in your background and kill your usage as well. They may no be too noticeable w/o the game pad, but using it may push your PC over the edge...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Last edited by RSVX; 12-11-2003 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Since your running XP pro, just keep an eye on the systray and what starts when you boot your machine. You can catch these spyware programs, they all have their signatures. They'll show up somewhere. Just go through your startup menu, systray, and "add/remove programs" dialog weekly. If you find anything that shouldn't be there, you can use MSCONFIG to remove it from the registry. If you use a program to do this, you will just be using more of your precious resources. Though it's not that big of a deal, so if what i just explained to you is over your head, then by all means use a program for it.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
And why are you all so against reformatting anyway?(im not saying that he needs to do this) Are you afraid to reformat? Its not like you have to pray to the PC Gods during this process... if you are hardcore enough, a simply hardware change would push you to a reformat...
I just thought the suggestion didn't fit the problem for two reasons, which I already outlined.

And I don't think the 'are you afraid' taunts are helping anybody. You don't have to get that defensive - especially since you already explained that you hadn't read the question correctly. All I said was that your suggestion was a little extreme. I didn't insult your mother.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 12-11-2003, 12:53 PM
ww111

Great advice all the way around...

The only computers I haven't built from scratch in the last several years are the laptops. and since I'm a windoze user I have resigned to the "reformat to regain performance mantra" it was actually one of the first things I did. I'm just having difficulty thinking a gamepad could slow things so drasticaly. I mean I do have 9 USB slots taken up on this thing and the difference between all or none (not counting the gamepad) is a couple of points on the benchmark. The gamepad drops it by 75%.

Also, and I'm not exagerating... After a reformat it takes me 2 days to get back up to speed, and get everything reloaded. I just bought "Ghost" so I'm hoping to reduce that time now.

Collins
feeling nerdy
Old 12-11-2003, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
Great advice all the way around...

The only computers I haven't built from scratch in the last several years are the laptops. and since I'm a windoze user I have resigned to the "reformat to regain performance mantra" it was actually one of the first things I did. I'm just having difficulty thinking a gamepad could slow things so drasticaly. I mean I do have 9 USB slots taken up on this thing and the difference between all or none (not counting the gamepad) is a couple of points on the benchmark. The gamepad drops it by 75%.

Also, and I'm not exagerating... After a reformat it takes me 2 days to get back up to speed, and get everything reloaded. I just bought "Ghost" so I'm hoping to reduce that time now.

Collins
feeling nerdy
Well, laptops are difficult to build yourself - it's not like you can get the separate components and assemble them.

And, I'm not disagreeing with you or Chris about the reformatting - I've done it many, many times myself after I've determined that the machine just needs a refresh. This just seemed obvious to me that some process associated with the controller was acting in a way it shouldn't - taking up a lot of the CPU's time, or way too much memory, or both. And I bet Logitech has heard of the problem and is either fixing it or has fixed it - or knows how you can fix it yourself.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I just thought the suggestion didn't fit the problem for two reasons, which I already outlined.

And I don't think the 'are you afraid' taunts are helping anybody. You don't have to get that defensive - especially since you already explained that you hadn't read the question correctly. All I said was that your suggestion was a little extreme. I didn't insult your mother.
It wasnt meant as a taunt...

And if you felt provoked by my comments... well the internet has just won another battle in misunderstandings...

Old 12-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's obviously the controller/driver. Use a different controller until Logitech fixes the problem.

There was an issue at one time between MS force feedback controllers and VIA chipsets. I think they finally fixed that one.

Last edited by Earthworm; 12-11-2003 at 06:51 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: