How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Oricalm

Car Comparison

Okay guys. I love my SVX but repairs and gas milage along with well, just the cars age are causing me to head to the market for a new car soon. I plan on keeping my SVX and working on it because, well, the ol' thing has too much dang novelty value and uniqueness to get rid of. How many other people can boast that out of a campus of 15,000, they have the only SVX? (That I know of. If anyone else out there goes to UMBC and has an SVX, lemme know. Maybe we can meet up).

But Back on topic, I'm looking to get a car to be my new daily driver. But I'm wanting a car that, unlike the SVX, is a bit easier and cheaper to both mod and repair. I've narrowed my choices down to a mazda RX-8 or a subaru WRX STi. One of my problems though is going to be insurance. So, in short, can anyone give me an (Lets atleast try to keep it) unbiased review of one or if you've had the luxury of driving both, a side by side comparison of them? Plusses, Minusses, handling, how fun it is to drive, how easy it is to mod, how bad insurance will kick my arse for it ect... I've visited several threads and such, but I figure people who'd own and SVX would pay special attention to details

Thanks all!

-Mike
Old 11-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

svxcess (John H.) works on the campus (green '95).
Just wondered why you'd buy a brand new already rather "hot" set of wheels, & then mod it? Seems to me you're gonna' trash the warranty, unless the mods you speak of are peeled off paper & stuck to the windshield.

Ron (the other stock boy).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:01 PM

If you can afford an RX-8 or an STi how come you can't afford the repairs/gas for the SVX? STi's are sweet....thats my vote!

-Pete (confused )

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 11-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Breck SVX

Never driven an RX-8, so aside from what I've read, and I'm sure you've read I can't say anything original. However I have driven a few STIs albiet not for long. Its got a very firm ride, but not too firm, no standard stereo, no floormats, paint quality isn't the best, theres an eyesore of hood scoop infront of you, tires will go quick and if you mod the engine, bye bye warantee (at least through where I work). People I've talked to who come in with them say insurance is cheap. For some bizzare reason the seats are less supportive than the older WRXs. Intercooler spray w/multi-level headlights is a nice toy...as well as adjustable center diff. Are you in an area with lots of snow? AWD is something to certainly keep in mind. Acceleration and handling are, well...very nice

bias: rear wing=stupid

Bearing these facts in mind, It's the car i'd get if i had 30k to spend...or possibly an evo...thats just my oppinion though. A RWD rotary powered car would be pretty neat too.

-Alex
Old 11-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
If you're a student and can afford an SVX AND a brand new 30k car, you should just send me 2g's to help my SVX get more presentable. Jeeezus.

- Rob
Old 11-20-2003, 01:19 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
ditto.
i wouldnt get an rx-8.
if you like those things get a late rx-7.
personally id pick up the STi.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Oricalm

Alright, Alright. I'm not saying I'm going out any buying a new car in the next month. I'm saying that by say summer or such I may have enough for a down payment and maybe by then there will be a used one. As far as school is concerned, my scholarship covers that. As for the warranty, I will probably start with more show than go. Why? I like to have a car that looks nice. As time goes on though, I'd like to be able to mod it more.

As for why I'm not just fixing the SVX? Well, it's as of right now my only car. The transmission feels like first is going to go bye bye soon, I've already put in a new third, Wheel bearings are becoming a big issue, and it needs a complete restoration/ repaint. Being as it's my only car and I commute to school, I can't really afford to have it in the shop for extended period of time. True, I suppose I could get a loaner, but I still just feel the urge for something that's not going on 9 years old. I mean, I've had the car for just about a year and a half and have had to put in twice as much as I originally paid for it in repairs. In the end though, I may end up with the God-Forsaken Civic Hybrid or Toyota Prius because of needing a commuter car with good milage.

I was just wondering if you had a choice, which one you guys would pick. I figure everyone here has an affinity for unique and cool cars. Otherwise, we wouldn't have SVX's. The RX-8 appeals to me because it's different and from what I've heard is similar to the SVX in that it's really fun to drive. The WRX appeals because it's roomier, AWD and insurance would smile more on a 4 door. If I had 30k right here, right now to spend, believe me, it'd be to get the SVX back to her original self. but at the moment, this is all more of a planning phase. Oh well. If I'm crazy, I'm crazy.

-Mike
Old 11-20-2003, 10:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Don't knock the Prius. It was just named Motor Trend's Car of the Year.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Certified Porschephile

After seeing the rates of catastrophic rotor failure in the RX-7, I would shy away from a RX-8. Plus there is a big to do about Mazda's horsepower numbers being wrong, AGAIN. They had to appologize and offer buy backs on the new Miata. I'd go WRX STi or if you had the money, a M3. The Audi S4 is pretty cool too.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:14 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I know, I know

I know I'm gonna get knocked on for this but I'm actually in a similar situation, although I'm not looking to ditch the SVX anytime soon. I eventually want to replace it with a Hyundai Tiburon GT. I won't be getting it anytime soon, because I would like to put down atleast half of the cost of the car, and right now I'm only making about $100 a week, so I couldn't make the payments. I'm hoping that after I graduate in four years I will have saved enough. The 10 yr warranty is very appealling, and although many people swear that the warranty is the only reason anyone would ever buy a Hyundai, I think the new Tiburons look a lot like a Ferrari.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
tibs are fine, as long as you dont want to go fast.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:36 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
tibs are fine, as long as you dont want to go fast.
The GT, not the base model. The GT has a 180hp V6, giving it a 0-60 of around 6.5 sec and a top speed limited at 137 mph. I would not even think about getting the 4banger (or just about any 4banger for that matter).

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Certified Porschephile

No 4 bangers????? The 2.2L Lotus Esprit was pretty fast for a 4 banger. I learned to drive stick on a 4 banger Porsche. Seemed quick enough to me. And we have the ever loyal WRX STi crowd in here. Not calling you out, just pointing out there have been some nice 4 bangers. Anyone remember the 1000hp Olds Quad-4 that set the world closed course speed record in 1992? I used to have a poster of that car. Sweet.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
you are SO off. the espirit was always a V8. the elise and elan were 4 banger Lotus's.

the Olds quad 4 is nice. i drove one with a huge turbo. that thing hauled with a shot tranny.

Old 11-20-2003, 10:55 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
you are SO off. the espirit was always a V8.
>sigh<

NikFu... your posts about smoking exhausts, and ramming cars, and now this... are beginning to wear on my patience. You've been good for a while, so please knock off the B.S.

- Rob

PS: You are wrong. Research it yourself on and tell us what you find.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: